“50th wedding anniversary trip in garden of Eden” 5 of 5 bubbles

Eden House
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“50th wedding anniversary trip in garden of Eden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I chose the Eden House for hotel size, location, and landscaping. What you see online is what you get. Small and peaceful place to relax but so close to all the action on Duval and other attractions . This was our first trip to Key West and due to the Eden House and all the great people god willing it won't be our last. Not having breakfast included was fine by us it makes for more noise and mess created by trying to feed people. There is coffee and tea available 24 hours and fresh fruit in the morning , I would ask maybe having decaf coffee for those of us who can't have regular coffee. I did go to the bakery around the corner for decaf used free coffee and biscuit card for Eden House visitors. . When on vacation in paradise go out and experience the island, there are so many unique funky places close by why would I want to stay in the same place to eat? If you want to stay the Azur is right there, we ate there the first day and had a great eggs Benedict. Our room 105 was one of the small rooms but I knew that when we booked, we use the room to shower and sleep so it didn't bother us on size except we too had problem hitting knee on corner going around to bathroom , I put a shirt around the corner problem solved. I called ahead and asked for a special restaurant for our anniversary , Conner gave me three choices but really thought Latitudes was what I was looking for, he was right you take a free boat ride out to Sunset Key and eat next to the water no night life or bands just great food and lots of atmosphere. The parking at hotel is tricky not enough spaces so our last night we called a cab to take us to Louie's Backyard, again right on the water this place is off the beaten path also but food and location make it a busy place you need reservations so call a day ahead . Anywhere you stay on Key West will be great but The Eden House is like your own private garden of Eden we will be back.

Room Tip: Read the choices available the descriptions are accurate.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yankeelady18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

So I liked the Eden House. It's very clean, very home-y, kinda reminded me of my favorite youth hostel in Switzerland from when I was a backpacker. The staff is friendly and helpful; my room was clean. I had an early morning departure and, the night before, the desk clerk ordered a cab for me for the next morning and suggested a wake up "knock," which I appreciated.

Yes, the rooms are on the smaller size. But you're really not in Key West to be in the room. And I had a balcony with two chairs and a table. There is complimentary wifi, water, tea, and coffee in the lobby -- all of it was very much appreciated.

In addition to Azur (the restaurant on the property), the Eden House is in easy walking distance to reasonably-priced restaurants, a bakery, and, of course, Duval Street. Luigi's delivers -- try the beet and goat cheese salad -- and the Schooner Wharf Bar is terrific.

I have not taken advantage of Eden House's rewards program yet, but I look forward to figuring out how to cash in my points and stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Traveller123Chicago
Bear
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 108 and we had a king size bed and you could not go to the bathroom without hitting your leg on the wooden platform. Breakfast should be included since the price of the rooms are so expensive. The location and the parking are not that great, also.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizzy1016
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Lizzy1016,
I've said it before and I say it again, Unhappy Guest Policy! If for any reason you are not happy with the room or property, please get a refund and carry it on down the road in search of your happiness.

Secondly, that is a queen size bed in a Small Deluxe room, emphasis on the word Small. We wish it was a king though. Our prices are comparable to anything else you'll find in the heart of old Key West. As for our location, there are a good half a dozen restaurants within a block of us and its only about four more until you are at the center of Duval.

Azur offers our guests a generous 20% discount on breakfast and lunch, I hope you took advantage of that as it is one of the best breakfasts on the island. We think that the number of freebies and amenities that we offer more than make up for not including breakfast.

Most guest houses in old town don't even have parking. We may not have enough spaces for everybody, but they are free of charge and it is not guaranteed. Glad Laura was able to find a space for you when you checked in.

I hope that you find somewhere that better suits you next time you visit Key West because after all, what we want is for you to enjoy your time on our little island.

Happy trails,
Mike Eden
Madison, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

What a blessing it is to be able to visit Key West during the cold CT winter! What makes it even more incredible, however, is to be able to return to Eden House. Each time I visit, Mike Eden and the gang have incredibly made the surroundings even more appealing than the year before - how is that possible?!. It's delightful that we can visit with staff that have been part of Eden House for some time - Elizabeth, Randy, Laura, Ryan, and Fritzie.......you make your guests feel like family. The rooms and property of this "green" hotel are immaculate. The room sizes are comfortable, and range from a cozy single to suites that sleep several guests. Lush landscaping provides a tranquil backdrop for sleeping in hammocks or unwinding in the hot tub. One of my favorite things about Eden House is how consideration and respect play a huge part in the experience of staying there. There is a "quiet time" from 10pm to 10am that works well - this is not a "spring break" hotel, or a type of place to continue a crazy Duval night. Although children are always welcome, you will not find a pool filled with 8yr olds having a water fight. What you will find is an amazingly diverse array of guests from around the world, who bring good humor, good conversation, and fun! It doesn't matter if it is your first time at Eden House, or your 30th time; whether you are a solo traveler or traveling with a group, you will feel comfortable. Eden House's convenient location to the waterfront and local attractions make it an ideal "home base". Restaurants abound within walking distance, and bikes are readily available from the front desk. Unsure about an activity for a day? Ask the front desk, they won't steer you wrong. Thanks, Eden House, for recharging our batteries -you have us looking forward to our next visit!

Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is our third time in Key West and the Eden House makes our vacation time special in every way. The staff, rooms and amenities make our stay comfortable and fun. Being "stranded" for a few extra days this year, Eden House's hospitality made our stay even better. There's no where else i'd rather be than here.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms by the pool are my favorite.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Our eighth trip to Eden House and as always we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Great location, friendly staff and immaculate hotel. Our departure from Key West was delayed for two days by snow in the Northeast. The hotel graciously offered us a "stranded guest discount" allowing us to extend our stay. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Key West!!

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I've been going to Key West for 20 years and have stayed at many places but Eden House is by far my favorite. The rooms are on the smallish side but are very charming. Many come with their own porch and porch swing. The pool area and grounds are fabulous with lots of quiet nooks for relaxing. The staff is friendly and the other guests tend to be friendly, too. And you can't beat the location within easy walking distance of the seaport and Duval Street. Try the great restaurant right next store; we've never had a bad meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a porch deluxe room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple