“Another Great Time”

Eden House
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were back for the Put In Bay Music Festival and stayed at the Eden House from February 2nd through the 9th. We stayed in a loft room with a great balcony overlooking Fleming Street. The Eden House is far enough away from Duval to to be quiet, but close enough to walk everywhere.

We spent more time by the pool this year and made some great new friends. Everyone was laid back and relaxed...most of us escaping the cold.

The staff was great, as usual. There was somewhat of a mixup with the room at the beginning (more mine than theirs), but all was handled very well.

Extremely enjoyable experience, and we will be mack next February.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a room with a porch or patio to enjoy the evening.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Eden House is a special place to stay, and our 2nd visit, (1st was 4 years previous) did not disappoint. You don't see much from the street, so if you want to check it out, go inside & the desk clerk is always happy to take you for a tour. The grounds are what make it really special. Pool, hot tub, stairs up to a gazebo with porch swing, lots of hammocks, lush, lush, plantings, potted plants and palms. Truly a beautiful, beautiful place. We prefer hotels & inns that are unique, not bigbox. Rooms are small & spartan. We splurged on a 'Porch Deluxe', and our particular room actually had a screened porch containing our swing & a table & chairs, nice for coffee. Rooms are small, but our deluxe was reasonable & this particular one had a larger bathroom. Only thing I do NOT like is, no dresser. Wall rack with rod & hangers, suitcase rack, bookshelf, small frig & microwave. So you unpack, hang what you can, & have to stack your foldable clothes on the shelves. I would think a small dresser would fit in that same space where the shelf is & would really prefer that. We were there a week, & I want to unpack, yet not have my underwear exposed on a shelf. But that's the only complaint. It's a special, personal hotel experience. !st time we visited, we met many, many repeat customers, 2nd time, not so much, but don't know why. One fun thing they do is a free happy hour each day at 4pm. They set up the bar by the pool with basic liquors & mixers, ice, cups, red & white wine, and some snack mix. People actually mix & mingle during that time---fun to meet people from all over. Mike Eden (owner) frequently attends & he is a fun & entertaining guy. Location of the hotel also wonderful--Old Town, and just far enough from the noise & crowds of Duval and Mallory Square & the masses of tourists from the cruise ships. You can walk ANYWHERE in Key West, and we usually did----good idea to walk off all the eating you will do. Hotel rents bikes too, complete with locks, and bikes are a popular way to get around. Parking is scarce. You do NOT need a car in Key West, and if you are properly experiencing Key West and its bars, driving is a bad idea.

2  Thank SusanLoretta
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Beautiful old hotel that has a wonderful pool. We only stayed for one night until our rental was available the next day. The people at the front desk were extremely pleasant and eager to please. When the room we had booked was too small they quickly found another room that was lovely. What a place to start a vacation

Room Tip: The small rooms are very small for 2 people.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn D
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We rented a queen bed, the room was 6 x 8 literally!! It was the smallest room I have ever seen, we could barley walk around the bed, the bathroom was very very small, with a sink in the room. We had to pile our luggage on top of each other.
1st the good:
The hotel is in a excellent location, walking distance to Duval, but not too close. The staff is superb. The pool is beautiful, very nice area, heated pool in winter, nice nice pool and hot tub.
The bad: our room was smaller than a cruise ship inside cabin room. For almost $300 a night, would expect more. But... That is what you get in key west.
Not sure I would stay again because it was so small but probably so since the whole island is pricey.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room or don't bring luggage.
1  Thank KellIe0414
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I chose the Eden House for hotel size, location, and landscaping. What you see online is what you get. Small and peaceful place to relax but so close to all the action on Duval and other attractions . This was our first trip to Key West and due to the Eden House and all the great people god willing it won't be our last. Not having breakfast included was fine by us it makes for more noise and mess created by trying to feed people. There is coffee and tea available 24 hours and fresh fruit in the morning , I would ask maybe having decaf coffee for those of us who can't have regular coffee. I did go to the bakery around the corner for decaf used free coffee and biscuit card for Eden House visitors. . When on vacation in paradise go out and experience the island, there are so many unique funky places close by why would I want to stay in the same place to eat? If you want to stay the Azur is right there, we ate there the first day and had a great eggs Benedict. Our room 105 was one of the small rooms but I knew that when we booked, we use the room to shower and sleep so it didn't bother us on size except we too had problem hitting knee on corner going around to bathroom , I put a shirt around the corner problem solved. I called ahead and asked for a special restaurant for our anniversary , Conner gave me three choices but really thought Latitudes was what I was looking for, he was right you take a free boat ride out to Sunset Key and eat next to the water no night life or bands just great food and lots of atmosphere. The parking at hotel is tricky not enough spaces so our last night we called a cab to take us to Louie's Backyard, again right on the water this place is off the beaten path also but food and location make it a busy place you need reservations so call a day ahead . Anywhere you stay on Key West will be great but The Eden House is like your own private garden of Eden we will be back.

Room Tip: Read the choices available the descriptions are accurate.
1  Thank Yankeelady18
Reviewed 28 January 2014

So I liked the Eden House. It's very clean, very home-y, kinda reminded me of my favorite youth hostel in Switzerland from when I was a backpacker. The staff is friendly and helpful; my room was clean. I had an early morning departure and, the night before, the desk clerk ordered a cab for me for the next morning and suggested a wake up "knock," which I appreciated.

Yes, the rooms are on the smaller size. But you're really not in Key West to be in the room. And I had a balcony with two chairs and a table. There is complimentary wifi, water, tea, and coffee in the lobby -- all of it was very much appreciated.

In addition to Azur (the restaurant on the property), the Eden House is in easy walking distance to reasonably-priced restaurants, a bakery, and, of course, Duval Street. Luigi's delivers -- try the beet and goat cheese salad -- and the Schooner Wharf Bar is terrific.

I have not taken advantage of Eden House's rewards program yet, but I look forward to figuring out how to cash in my points and stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveller123Chicago
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed in room 108 and we had a king size bed and you could not go to the bathroom without hitting your leg on the wooden platform. Breakfast should be included since the price of the rooms are so expensive. The location and the parking are not that great, also.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizzy1016
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Lizzy1016,
I've said it before and I say it again, Unhappy Guest Policy! If for any reason you are not happy with the room or property, please get a refund and carry it on down the road in search of your happiness.

Secondly, that is a queen size bed in a Small Deluxe room, emphasis on the word Small. We wish it was a king though. Our prices are comparable to anything else you'll find in the heart of old Key West. As for our location, there are a good half a dozen restaurants within a block of us and its only about four more until you are at the center of Duval.

Azur offers our guests a generous 20% discount on breakfast and lunch, I hope you took advantage of that as it is one of the best breakfasts on the island. We think that the number of freebies and amenities that we offer more than make up for not including breakfast.

Most guest houses in old town don't even have parking. We may not have enough spaces for everybody, but they are free of charge and it is not guaranteed. Glad Laura was able to find a space for you when you checked in.

I hope that you find somewhere that better suits you next time you visit Key West because after all, what we want is for you to enjoy your time on our little island.

Happy trails,