My husband booked our 15th anniversary at Eden House. We arrived in the wee hours (2am) and were greeted with a cold drink and friendly face from the late night male host (I wish I had gotten his name!) . Given a short tour of the property leading back to our room (302) (which would be considered an apartment sized unit).
There was a lovely hammock and dining area with an overhead ceiling fan. French doors off of the living area and a door off of the bedroom leading to the wrap around deck. The unit itself was spacious, clean and fairly well equipped (all kitchen utensils included - the standard hotel accommodations otherwise). The bed was extremely comfortable (which is saying a lot as I am picky!) with nice linens. My only complaint about the unit was the shower. Getting the water to a warm temperature was nearly impossible, it was either cold or scalding. Nothing in the middle. Water pressure was also very low (likely because of the low flow "green" shower heads).
Eden House had much more of a boutique hostel vibe. Quaint, charming, laid back and homey. The outdoor spaces are beautiful and lend to the feeling of paradise with the expansive gardens, hammocks everywhere and impeccably clean surroundings. The pool and spa were always sparkling clean and perfect. They say the pool/spa are open 10-10, however they also say if they don't hear you they can't see you (indicating you are welcome to use the pool/spa after hours as long as you keep the noise level at a minimum). The entire stay there was very quiet and peaceful which seemed to be the vibe that Eden house was going for.
On a side note about room sizes, make sure you look at the website and the photos. MOST of the 40 guest rooms we saw were VERY small. We are making a return trip in August with adult teens and are very unlikely to choose Eden house because of the limited room sizes.
It's within walking distance to the festival like atmosphere of Duval street, the marina and other area attractions. Really, if you are a walker - pretty much everything is within a 20-30 minute walk from Eden house on the small island. They also rent bikes though we did not use this service. I really enjoyed walking in the old key west area and marveling at the amazing historic homes and gardens. We felt very safe walking around the Eden House.
While we did see a few children and Eden House says they are child friendly, I don't think this is a place for young kids. The kids we saw were all 9+ years old and continually hushed by their parents. Rowdy or loud children would probably be frowned upon (there are signs declaring unsupervised children would be <insert funny but actually serious warning here> ).
There is a small staff at Eden House. Daily, we saw the same individuals tending their duties. The two girls at the lobby desk nearly 100% of the time we were there (aside very late nights) are hit and miss. There's a fine line between laid back and lackadaisical. There were times they fell firmly into the lackadaisical category and we seemed to be putting them out with questions, recommendations or requests for directions. At times they were helpful, but always seemed to have an edge of annoyance with us. It became a joke between my husband and I to take anything they told us with a grain of salt after they sent us "just a few blocks" to Higgs beach (reality - it's just over a three mile walk) . Thankfully, we are the type of people that take things in stride. I'm sure many would not have appreciated it. If I had my asthmatic son with us, I'd have been extremely unhappy.
In your room there is a folder with a recommendation list from Mike Eden and the staff which we found very useful.The things on the list that we tried were excellent.
There is no smoking on the entire property. Eden House website says" in the buildings", but it's made clear there is no smoking in the outdoor areas either. This is a plus for some and a minus for others.
Parking can be difficult at best on the weekends. Weekdays weren't nearly as difficult.
There is tea, coffee and water available in the lobby on a continual basis (as well as soda and basic beer for $1 which we appreciated). Apparently there is a "happy hour" at the pool but we weren't informed of when it was nor were we ever present during it. Otherwise, there are NO on site food or adult beverage services. Not even snacks. It would have been nice to have fruit / snacks / adult beverages aside cheap beer available - even if it were for purchase. Next door is Azur restaurant (owned by Eden house) and around the corner is Old Towne Bakery - You can check out my reviews on those. Both are definitely worth a visit.
Overall, I'd definitely stay at Eden House again for a romantic couples get away, If you are considering it for more a family type vacation, I think I'd look for something a little more family friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax In Old Town Key West! The Eden House's first priority has been to maintain a clean inn, offer a comfortable bed, reasonable rates and have a staff that cares. Next comes the heated pool and Jacuzzi, hammocks, porch swings, waterfalls, sundeck, free off-street parking, café and lush gardens.We will have a cold drink for you at check-in and our daily complimentary 'happy hour' is poolside. Then at 10 PM we will dim the lights and let you get a good nights rest. Our night staff will not put a mint on your pillow but they will walk the grounds to insure that you won't be disturbed. I have owned and managed the Eden House for 27 years. I like to think that my staff and me do the 'little' things that will make your stay in Key West a memorable one. Key West is notorious for it's nightlife. Whether it is a sunset sail, a snorkel or kayak trip or deep water and flats fishing, the waters of the Florida Keys are like no other. Just let us know when you want to go.Grab a good book and a drink and I'll see you in the hammock area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Eden House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eden House Hotel Key West
- Eden Hotel Key West
- Eden Key West
- Eden House Key West, Florida