Eden House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Marquesa Hotel(Key West)
1,868 results
All reviewshappy hourporch swingazur restaurantsmall deluxehammock areadeluxe roomduval streetlaid backhot tubiced teaother guestsold townfront porchrented bikesold key westgrounds are beautifulfew blocks
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2006

I booked my stay based on reviews I read at this website and based on price and availability. The rooms vary in size and age. There are four reasons I would not return:
1) Lots of noise at night - our friends in another suite were kept awake by some people who stayed up all night (they apparently trashed the room and may have had a criminal background). We were awakened a few times by what sounded like a wrestling match upstairs, and then at 4:30 by some people leaving their room with all their luggage. The walls and floors are paper thin. When we complained, they moved us to a "deluxe" room (meaning TV & minifridge), but we were still hearing party noise until midnight.
2) They would not let us alter our reservation so we could get out of there a day early. They require something like 20 days notice. Their info says they will offer a full refund if you were not satisfied, but this was just a case where we wanted to shorten our stay. They were inflexible.
3) The second room they put us in was so small there was not enough room to open a suitcase unless it was on the bed. We had to unpack and put our clothes on the dusty sticky shelves. My daughter slept on an air mattress wedged between the bed and the fridge.
4) The rooms are not very clean. The tub and shower tiles looked grimy and when I wiped the bathroom floor with a baby wipe, it was black with dirt. We had to clean the shelves before putting our clothes on them. I could smell the rotting dumpster from my balcony.

Downtown Key West is one of the dirtiest cities I have ever been in, judging by the soles of my shoes.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2006

Well Eden House is certainly a different kind of place. My kind of place! When we arrived I was given a cold beer! That started what was to be a terrific romantic getaway despite the fact that it was cold three of our five days.
Luther at the desk was very helpful to me and gave me the name of a local ENT specialist who gave me an appt. in two days.

Ok, so if you don't like rules and being told what to do and when you can do it, this is a great place. Even going so far as to allow late night swims if your quiet. I have yet to find anyplace that allows that. Everyone closes their pool at 10 or 11. We were swimming at midnight and it was perfect.
We were in a room facing Fleming St. which was loud due to the scooters mostly but we had a great porch that was a terrific place to sit out on and smoke a cigar and people watch. It was like being at home.
Our cat, well their cat, Priscilla was a homey touch that added some character and charm to the place.

Like I said it was COLD three days while we were there and there are no heaters in the rooms which I found disturbing but hey, how often do they need heat there? Of course, when we're there they need heat! But we got through ok.

The room itself, #502 was nice enough. Cool that it had tile floor, and had a fantastic sized shower in the bathroom. While the room had everything we needed, I was a little put off by the ceiling fan which didn't have much power too it and the ac unit was on the loud side, no screens in the windows which I see is pretty common on the island. I could not get my laptop to work with their wi fi even though it was set up properly.
None of these issues was enough to bring us down.
The place while not first class doesn't claim to be and I enjoyed that. If you're stuck up, stay away from this place :-)
The grounds were great, the hammocks were awesome, and the free booze at happy hour was, well, WHOO HOO! FREE BOOZE AT HAPPY HOUR!!

I can recommend them and may in fact stay here during my next visit. They really do have an option for everyone on different budgets. We will be travelling as a group of three next time and they have a room that has a private hot tub that will do nicely I think.

This place oozed charm and character. And we soaked it up.

A tip of the hat again to Luther at the desk. We were first time visitors and he steered us right. He also plays great tunes poolside.

Side note this is the second hotel review that I have done and tried to include pictures but they are always too big. Can someone tell me how to make the size smaller so that I can post them with reviews?

12  Thank beerme1
Reviewed 20 February 2006

The Eden House certainly had a great atmosphere but our room was simply average. The room and property in general was very clean and we enjoyed the free happy hour drinks.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite (deluxe conch?) but beware that one of the bedrooms has no view whatsoever (unless you enjoy a restaurant rooftop and its associated equipment as well as a parking lot and its associated dumpsters). Unfortunately, the A/C units or pumps of some kind were quite noisy and prevented us from having a total quality sleep that we had hoped for. They also forced us to not use the bedroom's balcony...it was way too noisy.

The other bedroom was very lovely and had a great balcony (with a nice, cushioned swing) overlooking Margaret St. The bathroom had pretty lame water pressure for the shower but we accepted that with no problem. Note that the door to this bathroom is not a standard door, rather a two piece door and we felt that it lacked privacy because it was right next to the "living room" with the TV, and you can hear everything.

The fact that the Eden House has free wi-fi was what sealed the deal for us to book there. We were extremely disappointed though when we tried to use it for two days but it was flat out not working. On all occasions that we advised the front desk, they had no idea in how to assist in trying to resolve it. Take note that we did follow the explicit instructions that were provided on how to access their wi-fi yet it failed everytime we tried to access it - in the pool area and in the lobby area.

We were very pleased with the location as it was very walkable to the Schooners Wharf area as well as Duval St. We even walked to and from the Hemingway House. Parking was tight but not a problem for us. All in all, I feel that we paid too much, however, it was a good deal (pricewise) compared to booking elsewhere because it was a two bedroom suite that 4 of us were able to share.

We did stay somewhere else on our last trip to Key West and liked it alot better. In our opinion, the Eden House is an acceptable place to stay, however, we would probably look elsewhere when it comes to looking for Key West accommodations in the future.

13  Thank RakkmUp
Reviewed 6 February 2006

I stayed at the Eden House this past weekend with a friend and chose this guest house because it did not have a 4-night minimum this time of year like some of the other and much nicer gay B&Bs right nearby on the same street. The surroundings are pleasant, the staff is very friendly, as is the owner, Mike, but the room we were in with two twin beds left a lot to be desired. It was very small, dark and spartan and the bathroom amenities totally lacked in privacy, particularly if you are not rooming with a partner or spouse. The pool area was quiet and relaxing with friendly guests, but the happy hour was low-budget. The porch is prime kick-back and relax territory with very comfortable chairs. A nice continental breakfast instead of just coffee and tea would have made up for the room. Probably would not stay here again unfortunately.

14  Thank Jambero
Management response:Responded 10 February 2006

We is what we is. We ain't what we ain't.
-Mike Eden
I would like to reiterate from our website how we describe our Private rooms: Small, simple, basic room in the Main House. Double or two twin beds, private bathroom. (No TV or Refrigerator)
It is a valid point that we need to apply a frost to the shower doors, so that they are not see through. We appreciate this comment and plan to get that taken care of.
To again quote our web site: We are not a B&B. So we do not offer a complimentary breakfast.
Instead it is our decision (as we state on the web site) to offer a FREE daily happy hour with only the finest inexpensive liquor and fresh coffee, tea, and hot chocolate in the lobby throughout the day.
There is an abundance of hotels on this island that have great breakfasts. There are quite a few hotels on this island that only serve the finest of wines for their happy hour.
At the Eden House, we choose to offer a variety of rooms for all budgets and an authentic style that cannot be matched. We are not for everyone, nor do we want to be. If you happen to find that out only after getting here, I will be more than happy to enact our Unhappy Guest Policy. . . also on the web site.

A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 15 January 2006

Staff was excellent, rooms were very clean and nicely decorated.
We stayed at The Eden House for our Honeymoon and would recommend it to anyone who loves the local atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2005