“PARADISE, PARADISE,RELAX AND ENJOY!!!”
Review of Eden House

Eden House
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 October 2010

second stay at eden house accomodation perfect, room- double delux, spacious , large bed beautifull bathroom and your own swing on your own porch, relaxing is not the word!! utterly chilled out, in the best kept gardens/pool/hotel in key west, mikes friendly/hands on and a fountain of knowledge an all things key west! theirs happy hour and tea/coffee all day long, love it and will be back. great location a 5-10 min walk and your in the heart of all the bars and restraunts.

2  Thank Nellienooo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,827)

Reviewed 3 October 2010

About as basic of a room that I've ever had. No alarm clocks to bother you. No pesky telephone to bother you. Not even one of those pesky TV sets in our poolside room to bother you. "The teachings of Buddha" on the nightstand in our probably 100 sq ft. tiny room. If you are a traveler that wants to "get away from it all" in the real sense of the word, then this hostel is for you. Friendly staff and a dollar beer can be fetched from behind the front desk. They admit the hotel is not for everyone, and I'm sure if I would have complained they would have accommodated us with a room with at least a TV set. Nice relaxing pool area. Quiet time from 10 PM to 10 AM.

2  Thank timkJ4007KI
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2010

Hi okvomit,

Love your sign in name.

Oh yea, Buddhism (not a religion) is a frame of mind that helps ease the pain of me being me.

Yes...we are very basic. And I can't even imagine you complaining. It was our pleasure to try to serve you.

Peace, Mike Eden

Reviewed 30 September 2010

I have been staying at the EH for a total of 11 years, (though not 11 years in a row, sadly) and I will NOT stay anywhere else! I just got back two days ago, and I am already plotting my next trip. If you have read the rest of the reviews, you know that the rooms are small (but very nice, clean, and ooohhhh, the beds! The bed is reason enough for me to come back right away...) and they do offer a range of choices for rooms depending on how big you want and if you need a TV/Fridge, or etc. The grounds are amazing, more like your own yard if you lived in paradise rather than a hotel property, really. With lush tropical plants, palm trees, koi ponds, pool, jacuzzi, hammocks, porch swings, great music, and free happy hour, really, what else could you want?? They'll also set you up with dining recommendations, reservations, bookings for charters, etc. What I can't quantify is how you'll feel staying here. We stayed at EH 7 years in a row, and then haven't been back since Jan '06 because we've been busy having kids (and how that kills the travel budget). When we arrived last weekend, it was truly like coming home. Not much had changed, except new beds, furniture, some new faces at the desk, new TV in the lobby and rooms (I assume...we didn't want one in ours). The relaxed and funky vibe was just as prevalent as it has always been, and the complimentary beer at check in actually stepped up a little in quality as well! We saw our favorite "international sanitation engineer" almost immediately after arriving, Pasha, and she remembered us from years ago, and seemed genuinely glad to see us, like a long lost friend. That feeling is what you get when you stay at (and return to, like you will want to) the Eden House. I didn't get to see you, Mike, but I know you read these reviews, so THANK YOU for making my weekend amazing, once again. The EH is not a chain hotel, nothing like one, so if you want a cookie cutter nice bed, nice room, nice pool, et cetera, bland, anonymous type of vacation, fine, stay in new town, and leave the EH for those who will cherish it, because that is what this kind of place deserves. We love it there, truly a home away from home for us, and though it may be a while before we get back there, we'll think of EH and all the staff with a smile and a wistful pang. See you again soon!

Thanks again for a great weekend!
Chantal and Kevin

3  Thank telly1975
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed at the Eden House in mid September and had a great time. The pool is a great place to relax and the happy hour in the afternoon was an unexpected surprise. Rooms are clean and tidy and are more than adequate. Only wish I could have stayed longer.

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, to the point of one going of his way to walk us to the corner to point us in the right direction for a restaurant (sorry I have forgotten his name)

Would definitely recommend staying hereand if I ever make it back to the Keys will be staying again.

3  Thank stevengp70
Reviewed 21 September 2010

is the nicest what we can think of. We were so relaxed thanks to the warm service and atmosphere. Leave your shoes at home feeling.
Yeah you say, but thats Key West!
Well yes and no. You can do the Stroll, eat en drink well and have the Funny Stuff Tshirts in your reach.

What makes the Edenhouse special is in our opinion the following:
The people that own and service the place,
The people that visit the place,
The extra laid back atmosphere( if you want to get out you can, If you don't want, its ok)
Almost step back in time but with the comfort of today.

Actualy it is Southpark in the Tropics, okay dude.

Oh.. and last but not least;" You feel like at home"

4  Thank peng4711
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I was travelling to Key West on a business trip and I needed a hotel that was nearby. Of course, the joke is that EVERYTHING is nearby in Key West because it's only a few miles wide. Normally, I stay at chain hotels but I'm really happy that I made an exception in this case. The Eden House was incredible.

I arrived late on Sunday evening and was greeted by Mike (although I later discovered that there are several Mikes. This one was the younger Mike). The check-in process was extremely easy and he made a great guide, showing me the entire property when I arrived.

The room was on the small side, but Key West is the kind of place where you will spend very little time in your room. Most nights, guests were on the balcony or out on the town and not in their rooms. I had a room with a private bath, although I could've downgraded and gotten a room with a shared bathroom at a discount. I also could've upgraded to a larger room, but I was a solo traveller and didn't need that much space.

The hotel has several unique qualities which really made it stand out. They had a happy hour in the afternoons which was rather nice at the end of a long day. While no one was required to attend, the staff made you want to hang out and enjoy it. The pool was just the right temperature to cool off after a hot, humid day in Key West (it even has its own waterfall). There was also a jacuzzi where people tended to congregate day or night. There was plenty of room around the pool to relax, or if you wanted a bit more privacy and didn't want to worry about tan lines, there was a secluded sun deck over the parking area. The hotel also had hammocks available in case you wanted to sit and relax, reading a book from the hotel library which contained a pretty good selection of choices.

Again, while I was there on work, this place made you feel like you were on vacation. There were no clocks or phones in the rooms. There were two internet wifi spots: in the library and near the pool. If you wanted to get connected, you had to take your laptop out of the room to get a good signal. You could get an iron and ironing board if you asked for them, although the ironing board was a tiny little mimi-board that sat on the bed instead of standing up on the floor.

The staff was top notch. If you had questions about anything, they could definitely help you out. On the night I arrived, I had not eaten yet. Mike directed me to Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub right around the corner on Grinnell Street.

For those folks on vacation, here is all you need to know: It is a half mile (roughly 5-10 minute walk, depending upon your pace) to Duval Street. Everyone eventually ends up there. Have fun while you're there.

I was scheduled to leave on a Friday afternoon but I enjoyed it so much I extended my stay one more day so I could leave on Saturday morning. I highly recommend the Eden House.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank weary_traveller25
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

Howdy weary_traveller25,

This is the old Mike - Eden that is. I want to thank you for the nice words but now I will have to fend off the folks accusing me that you are on the payroll. Seriously, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you get to come back when the meter is not running. At least we were able to help you relax a little. We will keep the palm fronds off a hammock and a couple cold drinks for your next visit.

See ya, Mike Eden

PS my staff thanks you too

Reviewed 15 September 2010

What a wonderful, lovely and relaxing place to be. From the moment I arrived the staff made me feel most welcome and cared for. Sitting by the pool - both day and night - is truly healing. Although it's in the heart of the old part of downtown Key West once you are esconced in its walls and hear the water fountains and see the gorgeous palm trees you swear you are in another world. Also, the staff knows all the good restaurants, and the good vendors for attractions (i.e. dolphin/snorkel tours, etc.).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends