“True hospitality”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Netherlands
“True hospitality”
Reviewed 1 March 2011

A wonderful surprise in an equally delightful spot, Key West. Situated in Fleming Street, this small, privately run hotel is exactly what you want and need if you want the Keys experience to the max. We were lucky enough to have one of the bigger rooms, a small apartment. I spent hours in the hammock on the Porch, listening to the nightly sounds of birds and laughter. The distance to Duran street, the lovely harbor and other sights is easy to walk. You can leave your car at the parking lot during your stay. Shops are closeby and you feel like a villager the moment you check in. The pool is small but warm and set in a courtyard surrounded by flowert trees. At 4' pm it is happy hour with free (got it right) cocktails !
There is also free coffee & tea all day long and the management goes out of their way to help you with trips, food and anything that you might need. The boss is around and he is sort of a local legend, and has a vision on hospitality which is rarely seen these days in a money driven industry. I would not even consider any other hotel in KW. There are other small hotels like this one though, and all beautifully located. Do not opt for the all in resorts in this town, it spoils the feeling.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ELREY123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This hotel is fantastic, it's location is perfect, within walking distance of the tourist stuff (Duval Street, Mallory Sq etc) but also a nice quiet area. Also the pool area and hammocks are the most relaxing place I've ever experienced, the setup is perfect. The rooms are great, not fancy but very clean and the beds are good.

Staff are really friendly and the atmosphere is great, far better than any of the resorts.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DaveB_150
Wauseon, Ohio
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My husband and I stayed there last year over Thanksgiving. What a great place! Ryan met us at the door w/ a cold drink and then checked us in. The whole place was so quaint and peaceful. Spacious enough that if you wanted to be left alone to relax you could yet cozy enough that if you wanted to be social and make new friends (which we did) you could. Happy hour everyday at 4p was awsome. It was located just close enough to Duval St that the walk was no big deal. The staff were very helpful with tips on where to eat and what to do. The rooms are nice and "cozy" not terribly big, but who cares... Your never in the room, theres too much to do and see. And breakfast at the Azur is awsome, try the Key Lime Pie stuffed french toast! We can't wait to go back next year!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tiffany225
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This place has a lot of awesome things. First, the staff was great! They gave us a tour and showed us the pool area (so cozy and just begged for conversations to begin), the swing in the gazebo, the hammocks under the trees, the sundeck with comfy loungers. Now, we reserved a basic room and it really was. The bed was a double, so difficult to sleep in. You stepped into the large shower from your room, so there wasn't a separet bedroom area. The only real down side for me was that you couldn't get the shower temp set. The whole time you are adjusting it and getting out of the way as the shower went from scalding to freezing in the bat of an eye. The lavatory was next to the shower in a closet looking space. There wasn't a TV but we weren't planning to sit in our room and watch TV so we didn't miss it. This place also offers free sunscreen, coffee, tea and water. There is happy hour between 4-5 and they offer you a free beer at check in. The front desk also called around and got us onto a sunset cruise at the last minute.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank floridaboundorbuse
NJ
Reviewed 20 February 2011

When I was researching hotels for my first-time visit to KW, I knew from exploring the website & owner's blog that this would be the perfect place to stay. It met our every expectation: clean, comfortable, great location, superb staff who provided spot-on tips on where to go and what to do. This is a place I will definitely return to!

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank luvglobetrottin
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Eden house is what the best reviews state it is, A comfortable , super clean , cozy little hideaway in the heart of Key West, located a comfortable (even late at Night) four block walk to the liveliest part area on Duval street , The staff were great , the up keep was terrific, the pool and sundeck areas were quiet and cozy.
We met great people in the other guests of whom all we met were multiple return guests to Eden House and without question would return to Eden house on our next trip .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gerry383
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My husband and I spent a couple nights at Eden House during our trip to the Keys last weekend. We were impressed. Eden House is aptly named- we felt as it were a refuse from the madness that is Key West.

Before I made this particular reservation I took the owners advice and did my homework. We knew going in that the room was going to be small (we were in the smallest type) but we didn’t plan on spending time in the room. Eden House worked for us because we wanted peace and good, personal service and that is what we received.

Notable things we appreciated/enjoyed: The pool/courtyard area- this was truly Eden and I was loathe to leave. The neighborhood- I would compare EH to a buried gem set in a beautiful neighborhood that (I don't think) the cruise shop crowd would experience. Walking around the back streets appreciating the architecture was one of the highpoints of our trip. The staff- really great to us in every way- we felt at home before we had room keys in hand. All and all it was among the best staff experiences I have yet had in my travels.

In summary I would recommend this to anyone who wants beautiful surroundings, a friendly staff and a non chain experience. Just do the research and consider also reading the owners postings on the hotel site- his philosophies appealed to me and were a factor in my making the very good call to try the EH. We will return when back in Key West.

Also- loved the kitty!