“A disappointment at over $250 a night”

and 1 more site!
The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #46 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is one of those reports I wish I did not have to write.

The Good! Great Location, very close to the beginning of Duval Street and on the water. A great looking facility with a harbor.

The Bad! Of course it is Expensive! Unhappily the staff does not feel that they need to provide any amenities for the Expense. Parking is Horrible ... don't necessarily think your room comes with a space to park .. you may need to fight for that privilege Amenities are difficult to understand for instance - we were going to the Hot Tub and because we wanted to take a beverage along we called the Front Desk to ask for plastic glasses ... we were told those were not available and if we wanted those we could go to CVS store in town and buy some. Now I am pretty sure no hotel person wants glass anywhere near their pool areas and I am real sure there are plastic glasses in the Hotel bar areas

Ok, the room was pleasant. But , after "maid" service .. we discovered that not all the towels were replaced, dirty glasses and cups were not replaced, the bathroom shower and sinks were not cleaned. After many calls to the front desk an irate Supervisor showed up and proceeded to tell us that is the way they do things here. We proceeded to explain to her that for $300 a night I did not feel the need to go to the store and buy cleaning products to clean my cups and glasses and to buy coffee for the coffee maker. I found out that the Hotel only supplies one coffee for the room no matter how many nights you stay. So, be prepared to bring your own coffee, tea or whatever. It is interesting that the Hotel does not feel the need to provide body lotion as part of the bathroom supplies. I don't remember staying in a Hotel that did that. I expected the "normal" Hotel service s to be provided. Did I mention the "Resort Fee"? you get "free Internet" service however that only works until you let your device rest for a bit and then you have to log back in. A huge pain to be doing their frequent log ins. Have they not heard of the mobile phone "hot spots"? They claim the "resort fee" is mandatory. I do NOT like Resort fees ... that should be just part of their room charges.

The view from our window was priceless .... first it was difficult to see out the windows because the dirt was so bad, I would think they had never been washed. The view out the window? One window was "a jungle of large plants" the other window was parking lot, dumpster's and motor scooters. About as ugly as you can get.

It is interesting they claim to have RCI "Gold " status ... I sure didn't see it from what I saw of the place.

So, all in all, I have to give this place a one star for being a bad value, a staff that doesn't care what you think, a manager that is not available and having their own set of non standard rules. I would urge you to find another place to stay!

Room Tip: You might like to look at the Hyatt next door or some of the other properties in the area.
3  Thank Rich062

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The galleon Resort is where we try to stay every trip to Key West. The marina is always entertaining to people watch from your patio, so we ask for the 5th floor penthouse that provides the best view. They have a rooftop observation area for great photo ops for sunset. The TIKI bar has great entertainment most afternoons an nights. The rooms have been or are getting as I type Kitchen upgrades to go along with recent bathroom and entertainment upgrades. My only area of improvement would be to have the check-in process improved. A priority should be for guests already there to havde housekeeping clean those rooms first. We arrived early--but our room was one of the very last ones cleaned (six hours after we got to the front desk).

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor penthouse rooms. They have the best views and have an extra Queen bed in the...
1  Thank Garnersteve
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

The Galleon Resort is the best place to stay in Key West.

However, if you prefer to stay at a bed and breakfast for a camping type experience. Then stay at the curry mansion which is "roughing it" compared to the Galleon.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank MargoandEd
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and I had the good fortune of spending Memorial Day weekend at the Galleon. What an incredible experience!!! The property is beautiful located directly on A&B Marina. The condo was beautiful decorated and furnished. The furnishings were very relaxing and gave the feeling of being in a tropical paradise. There were double doors in the bedroom and living room opening on to the private balcony overlooking the marina. The view was, in a word, spectacular! The bathroom may have been the most impressive with wall to wall ceramic tile, a rain shower, and a whirlpool tub. The resort is directly next to the historic harbor walk and not far from Duval Street, a very convenient location that allows you to walk to all the fun. There are several high end and casual restaurants right next to the property and multiple excursions located in the same marina. The staff was professional but not particularly which I've come to notice about most high end resorts. Also, turn down service is not included and is quite pricey. All in all, I don't think there is a better place to stay in Key West.

Room Tip: If you can, request a condo overlooking the marina!
Reviewed 28 May 2013

After a two day sail in +25 kt winds and running the Northwest Channel in the dark, we arrived at 230am. The was two guys ready to get us docked and set for a weeklong stay. The facilities, dockage, washrooms, showers, pool and bar were great. Location was good too. We could walk everywhere we needed to go.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

One of best views and location in Key West !!! We have stayed here 6 times and love coming back here always got a room with views of the Marina or ocean, had the penthouse suite twice which is fantastic, There is a rooftop that you can go to and see all of Key West from up there best view on the island. Staff are really nice and helpful which makes a difference from all the resorts we have stayed at. Rooms are clean and have been updated, updating was going on below us little noisy but what are you going to do the work needs to be done. Looking forward to coming back soon, leaving Saturday but want to stay another week!!!

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife & I stayed here for three nights on our first Key West vacation, booked through private party owner. The location was amazing if you’re planning on walking Old Town and Duval. So close to restaurants and shopping and bars. Also, the property is on the water, so you can watch the boats and views while relaxing on their boardwalk.

Our room was a little dated, but they’re in the process of updating the rooms. Our shower was updated and very nice. The bed and pillows were very comfortable! My wife & I slept incredibly well! We had a kitchenette with microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, small sink, dishes, etc. Bring your own coffee and plastic/Styrofoam cups if you plan on drinking outside of the room. We also had a patio, but it was a view of the parking lot, so we didn’t spend any time out there.

Parking is cramped, especially with work trucks and a big dumpster taking up spots. We had a small car and it was tricky to maneuver in and out of spots.

The front desk closes at 11pm, but we were able to find a security guard who was able to help us after hours. The ice machine is something else! For the whole resort, there’s only one, and it’s out in the parking lot. You need quarters to get ice, and you need to have the security guard show you “the Fonzie move” as he called it, in order to get ice. Yes, you have to pound it in a certain spot before it will give up the ice!

The hotel hallways were open to the outside, so it’s not a secure building, but we saw the security guard quite often, which helped put us at ease.

Everyone that worked there was very nice and accommodating. When their computer in the lobby wouldn’t pull up Delta, the manager let me use his office to print our boarding passes.

Our room was clean and we’re clean people, so we never needed to use housekeeping. If you do use housekeeping, it costs like $16-17 extra per day. Housekeeping just threw the garbage out of the rooms into the hallways, which was a bit of a surprise to us, as we've had never seen housekeeping done like that before. Then, the garbage sat there for quite a while. Also, we saw one housekeeper transport her own vacuum and cleaning supplies from her car. Again, never seen before.

The Galleon has free wireless, but it was very, very spotty. Luckily, the owner of our unit had his own internet that we were able to use.

One thing that was a bit of an inconvenience is how loud the doors slam down the hall. The way the doors and locks are, there’s really no way to shut your door quietly even if you try. Very frustrating early morning when you have someone in a room a few doors down, going in and out!

The Tiki Bar closed at 10pm, so didn’t spend any time there. The pool was kind of packed one day we were there, and the beach is pretty small, so we didn’t use either.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here, and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the water if you can!