“Going Downhill”

Ranked #47 of 51 Hotels in Key West
WILDWOOD
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This place used to be 5 Star, but lack of maintenance, and upgrades have caused it to decline. The rooms need redone. The Tiki Bar has been renovated beautifully, it's the only reason to go there anymore. Everything else seems stuck in the 80's. It's a shame.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BOBALU13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Great location and pool was lovely, rooms are much nicer than the lobby leads one to believe. Very nice location with a lot of boats nearby. Rooms were nice and comfy, close to everywhere you want to be in Key West

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2014

As we motored our boat into the Key West channel, I called in to the Galleon to check on availability for a hotel room for 3 nights (we already had a dock reserved next door at A&B Marina). They said they had one and asked if I wanted to book it over the phone - I said sure, gave them my information and my credit card. Less than 30 minutes later, when we docked at A&B, the dockmaster informed us that access into and out of the marina would be closed because of the powerboat races on the last day we were planning on being there. Because of that, we decided to leave a day early - A&B had no problem changing our reservation. I walked over to the Galleon to check in at the front desk and said I'd stay for 2 nights instead of 3. It had been less than 30 minutes since I called it in. They informed me that they couldn't refund the last night since it was "clearly stated in their email that all reservations are final." I said, "What email? I just called it in 20 minutes ago when I was in the channel entering the marina." They brought the manager over. He said he had to "convene the board of directors" to see if I could get a refund. HUH? I'm already paying them for 2 nights, how about just not charging me for the third night??? Turns out, the Galleon isn't really a hotel, it's a time-share property. Once they book a room in their system, they can't make simple changes like a real hotel. It was obvious the "convene the board of directors" line was just a way to make me go away - the manager had no intention of bothering to not charge me for a third night. Just really sleazy (which is typical in the timeshare industry).

I'd recommend going to a real hotel where you can expect to get treated normally, with common courtesy, and you won't feel like you'll need a shower after talking with the staff. Try next door at the Hyatt (305-809-1234), or next door at Pier House (305-296-4600), or next door at Floridays (305-744-8335), or head into the middle of Duval at the Crowne Plaza La Concha (305-296-2991), or splurge and try the Westin (305-294-4000). But whatever you do, I wouldn't take the risk of finding out about some weird timeshare rule or having to deal with sleazy management when you've got so many other real hotels next door or nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sean B
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 April 2014

What could be better than a week in Key West. staying @ the Galleon wasn't bad. Pool restaurant and lots of deck. Rooms were large and everything clean.Walking distance to fantasy fest.or steps to multiple restaurants.......

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We spent three nights at the Galleon with a total of eight people. The three bedroom suite was fairly large and had a great balcony overlooking the marina with beautiful sunrise views. Staff was helpful and friendly. The resort has a pool as well as a mini sandy beach area that my three year old loved to swim in. Wi-fi worked fine in the living room for us.

This place has a fantastic location and the surrounding hotels have much higher rates as well as not offering a three bedroom option. Glad we found this place through Tripadvisor reviews.

We stayed in Building E.

Room Tip: Building E has beautiful views of the marina as well as the sunrise in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank vanessainsc
NORTHERN CAMBRIA PA
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Was very close to divaul st.but on the quiet side.which was nice. Stayed building g maybe not the best just because room was 2nd floor just steps that all that was bad. Remember it is a time share resort no regular cleaning just change of towels.. final thoughts was nice place clean and good experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Dennis R
Naples, FL
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here several times as we come with a group almost every year. It is a great location but it has gone downhill over the years. We have all the items like a coffee maker, cups etc but no coffee in the room. I went to the front desk and was told because it was a timeshare no coffee is provided! What does being a timeshare have to do with that? When you are spending $250 a night it does seem reasonable to expect coffee. He told me to walk 2blocks to the 7/11 to get it in the morning. There were other choices for places to stay and we will make a different choice next year or certainly bring our own coffee. The gentleman seemed unconcerned and I asked why they did not include that info in the reservation confirmation. How do you even get above 1star if you miss such a basic service?

Stayed April 2014