“Never paid so much money to be treated so horribly!”

The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
“Never paid so much money to be treated so horribly!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

DO NOT USE THIS MARINA! Unless you want to be yelled at and treated rudely. We spent over $5000.00 for room and slip only to be literally screamed at by multiple staff for retrieving equipment from a friends boat (who also had a slip there). There is NO customer service, NOTHING BUT ATTITUDE! We have NEVER been treated so badly by any establishment, EVER! STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!
Hotel would have been ok if it had been a 1/3 the price. Definitely a time share not a hotel and not a true 2 bedroom suite. Staff at hotel was ok.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Krissi P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have read not so favorable reviews about The Galleon but I had no problems. The location was great as was the view. The only problem that I encountered was the parking was at a premium and there is not much that they can do about that, no place to expand.

Room Tip: My stay at The Galleon was a time share trade.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank geminibabe530
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Bought a week at the Galleon Resort and Marina in the early 90's and have never regretted it. It rents out every year, we even have to join the queue to use it as it is so popular.
Great place to go and relax and simply take in the sunsets that are renowned and bask in the delights of life in the Keys and the Hemmingway culture.
Plenty to do if you want to be active on the water or on land, but gives you the option of chilling back on the boardwalk around the Marina or settling down on your own patch of the resort's own private small beach.
The kind of place to go if you want to write your next book! - plenty of inspiration around and if you want to try a spot of deep sea fishing the boat is just a short walk away.

Room Tip: All rooms are good at the Galleon they look out onto the Ocean with Christmas Island on the horizon...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PFEFirstAid
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a great stay in a studio. There is a small kitchenette with dishes etc, and sink, microwave, mini fridge, toaster and coffee maker. You can ask the front desk for a toaster oven if you want it. The free internet was a nice feature as is the in room safe. While the studios only have a view of the palms and greenery we could see part of the pool. Would have liked the 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom unit but this was adequate for the 2 of us. The pool and small beach are nice .Enjoyed the barbeque at the Tiki Bar and the daily live music. It is a 5 minute walk to several restaurants and bars. A 10 minute walk takes you to world famous Duval street where there is always something happening. I think the location is one of the best. It is a little pricey but you don't even need a car.

Room Tip: The marina side is a little more relaxing and quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelermi
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Don't even think of staying at the Galleon regardless of the location. They bait and switch, saying there's only a couple rooms left when that's not true. For the same room on the same day we got quoted everywhere from $325 a night to $450 a night. When I asked to change to one of the rooms for $325 minutes after another member of my party was fooled by their lying about only having two rooms left they refused to adjust anything, then hung up on me before saying they'd just keep my $720 deposit!
There's lots of nicer hotels near all the action for similar prices or lower including Marriott Beach Side, Wicker House, Gardens Hotel, Avalon…and many other nicer ones such as Hyatt and the Wyndom and Sheraton Suites. They have the opposite of the Ritz Carlton attitude and I and my friends will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jason T
Christmas, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We rented a "B" lock-off unit without a view. This was fine since our friends own a 2-BR w/loft overlooking the marina and Gulf with a great sunset view. Room seemed a bit pricey. $950 for 4 nights with only a queen bed. Small kitchenette (tiny fridge) and just a shower. The staff was great. Everyone was helpful and smiling. Sunset Tiki Bar has good drinks and food with 2 for 1 Bloody Marys in the morning and a 2 for 1 happy hour every evening from 5 to 7. Location is super. Walking distance to just about everything. The humidity is brutal in June. 92 degrees but felt like 102! Our fault for visiting in June. I'd recommend the resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 106PatS
Flagler Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Check in and check out were excellent. Our two bedroom was very clean, well maintained, and sufficiently stocked with everything we needed. Ice maker made maybe three cups of ice per day. Ice machine was $1.00 for maybe a cup or two of ice, but we found the ice vendor behind the resort at the marina and bought our ice there much cheaper. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful view from our balcony. 99% of the staff were quite professional, helpful, and friendly, but only when spoken to first. There was a dark-haired middle-aged lady who served hot dogs and burger at the tiki bar two days that was so unbelievable rude and unprofessional. She worked out there with an older gentleman who worked the grill. On Monday, she seemed to have some issue with me although we never spoke one time. I was walking through the tiki area to get over to the pool and as I walked by she yelled at the gentleman who had done the grilling. I heard her yell and turned around and when I turned she was pointing me out to him. I then saw her multiple times throughout the week at the tiki bar and the marina bar on the back side of the resort. When I would walk by, she repeatedly nudged him and motioned towards me with her head and laughed. I have no clue why she felt the need to keep pointing me out and never had any personal interaction with her the entire week, but found it very RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL. She acted like a mean girl in a middle-aged body. I have to say I thought maybe I was reading too much into her behavior until my friends noticed her doing this behind my back. It was as if she was making fun of me. I manage staff and would never allow this behavior from anyone on our property. It was all a very sad and unprofessional reflection on n otherwise nice resort. The landscaping needs a lot of attention as I observed a lot of debris in the flower beds, wilting plants, and palm trees in need of a good trimming. The mid-week tidy was very well done and the housekeeping staff and front desk staff were all very accommodating and efficient! The tiki bartender needs to smile and pretend he likes his job as he appeared overwhelmed and unhappy.

Room Tip: Ask for your room to be on an upper floor if facing the pool as this is a family resort with many ch...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends