“Great Place!”

Key West Youth Hostel & Seashell Motel
Reviewed 27 March 2010

we stayed for 4 nights in the apartment (#12) and loved it!!!
no living ares but the bedroom was spacious enough for the 2 full beds that were there, an extra full size air mattress, and the twin mattress that they provide.
the courtyard was a great place to hang out, the other guests were all very nice. and there were places to plug in laptops under the little pavilion. the outdoor kitchen in the courtyard seemed useful, although we didn't have to use it because of the kitchen in the apartment. They aren't as strict on alcohol as they claim to be, there were people drinking beer in the courtyard.
this place was well worth the cost (which was not much). the location is great, but there are cheaper places to rent bikes than from the hostel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank godawgs32189

Reviewed 1 March 2010

A buddy and I stayed here for 3 nights and will be coming back again. I read all the reviews and they are mostly exaggerated by mad people. I have been around the world and this place is towards the top of my "cheap" places to stay. The rooms are very clean, and we stayed in room #5 which was in the inside part of the motel where the pop machines and the shared kitchen is. Met lots of nice people and shared stories with all. The staff is sometimes not persent, but they have alot to do by themselves. One of the desk clerks named Michael was very nice and helpful. So over all if you are a prissy yuppy and what everything covered in gold then this place is not for you. But if you want a nice place to stay and not spend alot doing it this is right up your alley. SlowRiders R/C..

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank SlowRiders
Reviewed 22 February 2010

looking for a cheap place for a short overnight on a quick trip to shoot photographers of the keys. I would have been better off staying at the Days Inn at the entrance of town, $99 or the 40 or 45 I paid for this awful bunk room that is not supervised. GUests hog the beds, snore, the bathroom is dirty with cock roaches. Im pretty easy and seep in a van when i need to, would not go back, left at 4am.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank markmackinnon
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This place isn't fancy, but it is clean and fit my purposes just fine. I was traveling alone for just one night and needed nothing more than a place to sleep and keep my stuff. Location is good and the price is lowest I could find on the island. It has a nice little courtyard area with an outdoor kitchen and is in a quiet neighborhood. I was the only person staying in the dorm room and it was a Friday night. Maybe it is just the off-season? FYI- they aren't kidding when they say bring your own toiletries. The bathroom didn't even have hand soap or paper towels. The guy working that day was really nice and helpful (and cute...).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank MegDC9
Reviewed 28 January 2010

The venue was perfect for us because we were on a budget, and the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and I loved the little breakfast cafe in the courtyard where I got a bagel every morning!

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank B_insane
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I am a photographer and visual artist and go to Key West every year for several days for business - by myself or together with colleagues. I am not this kind of person to spend a fortune just to sleep in a luxury hotel room somewhere. There are many better ways to spend money (especially in Key West :-)

The last few years we have always chosen the Seashell Motel - it is basic accommodation, but cheap, clean and good enough for us. I was surprised to read here some negative reviews about this place. I have seen only their motel rooms and don't know much about the hostel but every time I meet bunches of young people from the hostel too and they seem to have quite a good time.

My last visit was about two weeks ago. When I called and asked for a double room this year, they did not have any of these left and offered me a good deal: an apartment with kitchen for $109 a night, if we take it for 3 days. The apartment was a very nice surprise - I definitely did not expect anything like that. It was new or just remodeled – separate entrance, reserved parking spot, a spacious and sunny bedroom with 2 large beds, living room with a round glass table and chairs and a fully-equipped kitchen with new appliances - stove, big refrigerator, microwave, large countertop with sink and all the kitchenware you may need inside the cabinets. There were two air-conditioners, so it was nice and cool inside. We also had two bathrooms - one big and one small.
No need to say that we did not use all this, but still I felt kind of good when a colleague of mine told me they were paying almost the same price for a small and smelly motel room on the other end of the island.

One thing that I don't really like is that all rooms in The Seashell are non-smoking and there are smoke detectors everywhere. At least, smoking is allowed outside, so we used the little porch, which is part of the apartment (but no AC there).

The baseline is that I would stay there again and I would recommend this motel to anybody who does not really care about luxury, wants to have a good time and save some money. If you are a couple, two couples or even a group of friends - ask for the apartment and ask them for a special deal if you stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank ph0t0b0y
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I traveled to Key West with a group of friends as part of our tour of Florida Keys. Being on a budget, we initially wanted to stay in the dormitory part because we heard that this was the cheapest option in otherwise very expensive Key West. The receptionist offered us a 3-day deal for a motel room that came less than the dorm rate for 5 people. We had our private room with 2 large beds and a single bed - a little tight for 5, but it was fun. The building is old and needs some repairs, but the room was pretty much ok - clean, fresh sheets and towels, air-conditioner.
What is good about this place is the court yard area and the open kitchen and BBQ. Instead of eating at overpriced restaurants every day, we bought food from a store and every night had a party in the courtyard. There is some strange rule about "no alcohol in the courtyard", so I don't want to say anything about the beer and wine:-) We had a wonderful time here.
Did not like when the BBQ ran out of gas and they did not have a spare propane tank to replace it, so the last night the guys lost 2 hours with it and finally finished the steaks in the oven. Anyway, we met new friends here and Key West was the best part of our trip, so I would recommend the place to anybody and especially to young people. We make plans to come again next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple