“Excellent location; clean room”
Review of Orchid Key Inn

Orchid Key Inn
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Georgia
“Excellent location; clean room”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The location is unbeatable. The hotel is on the quieter side of Duval street, so despite vacationing in Key West during spring break, we barely heard any noise while in the hotel room. Nearly everything worth seeing in Key West was within a 30 minute walk, and we never had to take a taxi to get anywhere other than the airport.

The front staff and bartenders were extremely helpful and friendly and put this hotel at a level above the others I've stayed at in the area.

2 Thank eyeguy5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Mt. Pleasant, MI
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Pros: + Location toward the Atlantic end of Duval Street: quieter than the other end;
+ Attractive pool area;
+ Updated rooms.

Cons: - Price of room vs. size of room: Manhattan prices and smaller than Manhattan room size in standard King room (from what I understand, the suites are more reasonably sized, but most of the rooms are standard); Also: Expedia lists a price on your room charges that DOES NOT INCLUDE ADDITIONAL TAX OF 12.5%.
- Pool is small & unheated;
- Bed linens: I don't know what they are thinking with the extremely heavy comforters & duvets
- Room Temperature controls are very confusing: We left our air conditioning on, but every night our bed still ended up feeling damp with humidity
- Breakfast is not very good: Most chain hotels do better than this these days. The only protein was hard boiled eggs & the fruit was canned peaches or bananas, apples, & oranges that mostly didn't look in good of shape
- Service: We DID NOT experience good service: Charged $6 (supposedly half price) for second glass of house wine during Happy Hour. I complained to manager about charge and he shrugged his shoulders. "Appetizers" are cheese and crackers. Our room was not ready when we arrived & we were told we would be called when it was ready, but we weren't. With one exception, the staff was not very friendly or helpful.
- Obviously, it's not on the water and has no view of the water.

Room Tip: If you choose this hotel, go for the suite
13 Thank Isabel51
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently took a group to Key West and we stayed at the Orchid Key. The hotel was lovely, the staff was good and the rooms were great. We had a rude encounter with an employee, mentioned it and it was immediately corrected. I recommend this place for anyone.

Room Tip: The suites offer a little extra room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I was kindly told when I called to book a girls weekend it is not normally a "straight" choice. Didn't matter or bother us a bit. Great location. Great staff. Great bed, bath and bar! Need I say more for Key West?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My wife and I needed a quick relaxing getaway and we certainly got what we wanted!! Kim and the staff at the Orchid Key inn came through with flying colors!! My wife and I stayed in the "Honeymoon" suite and we could not begin to describe what fantastic accommodations these were.

This was the first time I used tripadvisor to help book a trip. I'll be sure to use it again for my next trip

• Stayed March 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights, originally we booked for 3 nights then extended a 4th. because of this we had a jr suite for the first three nights and a regular room for the 4th. Based on my stay, the junior suite would get a 4 star, the regular room only would get a 3. The rooms, were very nice, and clean, and had a good "islandish" feel. However the single regular room was very small. the Junior suite was perfect.

So with that said,

Pros: -Junior suite was perfect size for 2 people, with large bathroom.
-location is amazing on lower end of Duval Street. Far enough away from the bars, but not far enough that it's a quick walk.
-staff was very friendly and accommodating
-nice clean rooms

Cons:

-the office has hours. 7am-10pm. need something not during that time, its a $25 charge to talk to someone.
-Worst pillows on the planet, both rooms. flat and uncomfortable.
-had to ask to have shampoo and conditioner refreshed, housekeeping didn't replace any after first night.
-regular room was extremely small. a double bed filled most of it.

Overall I liked this place. I would not stay there again unless I could have a suite or jr suite. But otherwise I would absolutely stay here again. I see why it's rated so high, and I think it is a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: pay the little more for the upgraded rooms!
West Lafayette
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was our second trip to the Orchid Key Inn and we had an AMAZING stay once again. This trip we stayed in a King Suite for 7 nights and it was like staying at home... Very spacious with its own spacious living room area. Brandon at the front desk was very helpful and recommended us to the best eateries in Key West while treating us like royalty. Betty at the Orchid Key Bar was so nice and treated us like family (she even named a drink after my husband for his Birthday). The pool and hot tub were impeccably maintained and ready to relax in after a day of walking the strip. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are seeking Grade A customer service with a high end modern hotel room in the center all the action... Thanks Orchid Key for making our vacation top notch!!!

Sincerely, The Weises