“Perfect Hotel for your stay in Key West”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Hicksville, New York
“Perfect Hotel for your stay in Key West”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Having booked at a different hotel first, I realized there was no beach at the available. After looking around and asking around I figured Southernmost on the Beach has the largest (only a hundred feet) private beach.

It is a great, great hotel. Very clean and modern rooms. Staff is incredibly helpful. On site activities were great. We did the wine tasting and were happy with it. Concierge is really helpful in booking activities off the resort.

Couples massage that we got was OK, probably worth the money. I do recommend the happy hour at the cafe on the beach for very cheap drinks/appetizers every day

Overall I am very happy that I switched to this hotel! If I go to Key West again, this is definitely where I will be staying.

One thing that I was not very happy with was the padding on the beds as it was a tad bit uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly!
3 Thank buragc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We visited Key West for the first time on our honeymoon last June and stayed in an Oceanview room. Everything was so perfect we returned this year for our 1st wedding anniversary. I am so in love with this place, I can imagine staying anywhere else on Key West!

This year we were upgraded to an Oceanfront room. The rooms are amazing. They are decorated so nicely and always very clean. Each room has free wireless internet, which is so helpful in planning your time on the island. Most of the rooms have private balconies or a balcony of some sort. The views from our rooms have been nothing less than stunning, and the grounds themselves are very well kept. The pool is so nice and my favorite place to be!

There is a nice little beach on the property. My only complaint is the beach has a lot of seagrass, but this seems to be the norm for the beaches in the area and SMOTB is making a good attempt at keeping their's as clean as possible.

The cafe on the property has good food, a great staff and a very yummy key lime pie. We ate there for lunch a couple times on this last trip. It's nice not to have to stray too far before spending the afternoon at the pool or beach.

Every member of their staff from the front desk to housekeeping to bartenders are all kind and helpful and treat you like family. The rooms are not cheap, but not the most expensive in KW either. I personally think they are worth every penny. I can't say enough about SMOTB, and I can't wait to return!

2 Thank pamcarreira
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We just returned from a week at SMOTB. Loved it!! I am a General Manager of a hotel (think large, international - starts with a M) so I have an insider perspective on most every experience a guest can have. I can assure your, from our experience here, this hotel is expertly managed and staffed with high quality, well trained staff from housekeeping, to food service, to front desk and maintenance. I could sense the professionalism and dedication to guest satisfaction not just in our interactions, but through observation of interactions with other guests. My husband and I are avid Tripadvisor stalkers and chose SMOTB because of what we read in reviews. To some reviewers all I can say is "lighten up" No place will be perfect, especially night over night - just roll with it. We booked a west lawn ocean view room, that's what we got, we asked for an upper floor, we got first floor - ok. The hotel was sold out several nights we could have gone back to the lobby and asked for a room change but we decided to "roll with it" and it turned out we were happier on the first floor anyway- what did we know. Our first day we enjoyed sitting in the lounge chairs on the lawn, the first evening a rather large wedding group sat up in the chairs drinking and socializing until very early in the morning. Did I mention we are early to bed and up for the sunrise sort of people? The next day, to prepare for some constuction the hotel had planned on the lawn, the chairs were gone. Bummer, we thought at first, but you know we didn't experience any more noisy wedding groups outside our room. And this hotel does a LOT of weddings. The chairs were still missing 5 days into our stay, but each night was quiet and we slept well. There were a few times that beach access was limited due to weddings on the sand and once the cafe closed early for a fundraising event. OK, so there are only a gazillion other places on Key West to eat, no inconvenience there at all. Only once were we inconvenienced and that was by some other rude guest that thought it would be just fine to lock their rental bike to my husband's and my bike. We hadn't rented bikes, they were a gift from a friend who lives on the island for us to use during the week. We were scheduled to be at the dock for our excursion to the Dry Tortugas at 7:15 am, went to get our bikes and couldn't access them because whoever had rented #38 was too lazy to properly lock their bike the evening before. We went to the front desk, pretty mad and anxious that we weren't going to make our boat. A pair of bolt cutters would have been nice to have at that moment. The front desk acted immediately, though they were unable to do anything about the lock situation ( the rental company is a third party company) the night manager was getting off shift and he offered to drive us to the harbor, they even insisted we take cash to call a taxi for our ride home. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone saying the front desk staff was not accommodating or helpful. Bottom line, staying in Key West is expensive, hotels, food, drinking, shopping: everything. If you can't be happy at $400 a night, you won't be happy at $600 a night and certainly not happy at $100 a night. You're on vacation, it's Key West - it is paradise, what more could you expect?

10 Thank esp0515
lizpat55, Front Office Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at the Southernmost on the Beach Hotel. Your kind words are certainly appreciated and will be shared with our team members. I'm happy that your experience at our resort was a positive one and I applaud your "roll with it" mentality. We hope that you will join us again in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My husband and I just got married in Key West and stayed at Southernmost on the Beach. We had the best time. Our room was beautiful, room 636 I believe. The balcony was over the ocean and we spent many nights having wine on our balcony and watching the jet skiers and the watching the sun set. The hotel staff was excellent, from check in, turn down service, maid service and the spa. We met some interesting locals at the beach restaurant on the property and the food was good. The hotel is peaceful and quiet and a short walk to all the fun on Duval. We will definatley be back next year for our anniversary.

1 Thank LadyKeller
Ontario, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My wife and I had a fantastic time at the Southernmost on the Beach Resort in Key West, FL. The room was exactly what it looked like in the photos. Diana at the Front Desk was very accommodating when we asked for an ocean view room after we booked a garden view room. She allowed us to go into the ocean view room and take a look around before deciding. The pool was a very popular hangout and we enjoyed meeting other guests. The pool being open until 11pm was nice to take a late night dip. There was also live music at the pool each day. Emmett, the pool bartender was also very cool. The bed was comfortable, but maybe could have been a bit softer. The rooms were very clean. The hotel is within a short walk to Duval Street. We rented bicycles ($10 a day) and enjoyed getting around town that way. The public beach adjacent to the hotel is a bit to be desired, but not bad in comparison to the other beaches on Key West.

1 Thank Burgs4862
Boston
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Me and my wife went here for our 2 year anniversary from NYC. We had a really nice stay. The property is really beautiful. We actually stayed in 2 rooms because it was so full over memorial day weekend. We were in an ocean view for 4 nights and spent the 5th in one of the standard rooms. The ocean view room was a much nicer and newer room and was definitely 4 star hotel quality, but the other was closer to a 3. Otherwise the rest of the property feels like a brand new 3.5 star hotel as it is rated. Its nice, down to earth. It has a super fun pool area and is right next to a cute little beach.

For us the location couldn't be better. If you are looking to key west for a quieter couple's trip than look no further for a hotel. Rip roaring hard partiers are probably better at the other end of duval street where they can be a little closer to the action.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicholmays
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We had the best time at this hotel! The pool was spectacular, it was a block from Duval , had a beach, restruant on premisis that was open with a water view for conveninet breakfasts, amazing pool and pool bar . There were all sorts of fun things like Free Beer School, Free Wine school, live music by the pool, contest with free give aways, raffle drawings by the pool with free give aways. Our room was amazing and clean and the maids were fantastic. They left extra towels if requested and when we arrived , there was a bottle of champaigne delivered to our room because we booked through perfect getaways. Boomer and Kathy Nyugen were amazing employees . A paper was delievered every morning to our room and , there was free coffee in the morning! The hotel had tons of bike rentals that were cheap and, it was a really clean property! The conscierge offered to take calls after she left to book us for snorkeling, and last but not least, there were water dispensers and ice dispensers for unmilited free water! I'd go back in a heart beat and recommend it to anyone I know.

Room Tip: I'd request the newly rennoated rooms!
2 Thank poohsmc77