We booked this trip at the end of December for an early January stay. We have normally stayed at Santa Maria Suites, but they were booked solid. Friends of ours have stayed here so we decided to give it a try. The hotel has a perfect location. The rooms are angeled so that most every one has a partial ocean view, some have full ocean view, some are parking lot view. Our room had a partial ocean/garden view. The room and the grounds are as clean as can be. The gardens are beautiful. The pool areas are beautifully maintained. The location can't be beat, the quiet end of Duval St. Walking distance to great shops and restaurants. The pros and cons.....Being used to the Suite life at Santa Maria, we missed the 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms/ kitchen/3 tvs. We are 2 parents and 2 daughters ages 18 and 21, so we were a bit tight in a double room, but we made it work. The location had 3 pools to choose from, not to mention that being right in the beach is a real "pro". The staff at the restaurant and pools were top notch. The food and drinks at the pool and Southern Most Cafe are great and reasonably priced. Meghan at the pool bar was sweet, personable, and had great local recommendations for restaurants!
Small cons...the front desk staff seemed overwhelmed and short staffed at times. We were checked in fine and did not have any other reasons to visit the front desk until the last morning when our room keys stopped working. We went to the front desk to have them fixed. This took 4-5 trips back and forth to the front desk as they kept resetting them. A bellman stepped in and tried to help at that point since the 2 clerks were so busy with other guests and we had to wait in line each time. The bellman found a maintenance man who determined that the lock assembly was bad and needed to be replaced which he did. It all took about 2 hours. I asked to have our check out time extended since we lost those couple of hours using our room. We kept the room until 2:30 ( original check out time was supposed to be 11).
That was a small con after 5 great nights. The ammenities were replaced every day with 2 of each item. The first day I asked the housekeeper for extra towels since there were 4 of us and they were there each day. Pool towels were plentiful and the pool areas were kept neat at all times. There were daily activities listed on event boards around the property. My daughter was a bit disappointed when the activities she planned to attend were "postponed" due to weather, although they were scheduled to take place under a pavilion.
At check in, we noticed a sign for a $25 per night resort charge. Although I booked through Orbitz and was told our "special deal" was free parking and internet, we were still charged this fee nightly. The sign said the fee included parking (we did not have a car), internet, newspaper, pool towels, bottled water in our room, daily activities, and use of beach chairs.
I guess in the future I would prefer if those that brought cars paid to park them, newspapers could be purchased if wanted ( we never opened any of them). Bottled water could be available for purchase in the lobby (I think we left 6-8 bottles in our room refrigerator when we left since we never drank it all) and daily activities were held rain or shine under the pavillion ( since we were charged a fee for them).
I asked to have the fee adjusted since I was sold a package that included 2 of these items already but was told to take it up with Orbitz.
There are bike rentals located on property which was convenient and an efficient way to get around the island. The deli across the street (Ana's) is a great spot for deli sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, or the forgotten items from home.
Overall, our stay was wonderful and I would not hesitate to stay again or recommend this hotel to a friend
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located where Duval street meets the Atlantic Ocean in historic old town, Southernmost Beach Resort stretches over 6 acres across 2 city blocks on the quieter end of Duval Street, away from the hustle of Key West activities, but close enough to the excitement when you want it. The resort offers many on-site amenities such as 3 pools, 4 bars, a private oceanfront beach with tanning pier, access to public South Beach, an oceanfront restaurant, fitness center and petite spa. Southernmost Beach Resort now encompasses the Southernmost on the Beach, Southernmost Hotel and La Mer Hotel and Dewey House all part of the former Southernmost Hotel Collection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Southernmost Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southernmost On The Beach Hotel Key West
- Key West Southernmost Beach
- Southernmost Beach Hotel
- Southernmost Beach Resort Key West, Florida