I am confused and conflicted about my stay at this resort. I stayed for a week. First of all, the good. It has a wonderful location on the quiet end of Duval. I really liked the resort layout. There is a beach, a pool, beautiful grounds, activities, and nice rooms. The staff was pretty great for the most part and wanted to help meet your needs (even if they were not actually able to meet those needs). I had a king room in Bldg D which had a nice balcony. Now, the not so good. I just can't wrap my mind around paying 5 star price for a room with a motel style air conditioner. It was loud, it was annoying both inside or outside on the balcony. It woke me up all the time.
And finally, the worst part: I was here with my cousin. She had a wonderful room overlooking the ocean and 3 floors above the 'sand bar' activity area and beach. She loved going down to the little beach in the morning to sun. There was even a little restroom to use there so you can avoid the 3 flights of stairs back to your room, or trekking to the pool. Unfortunately, the restroom is locked until at least noon every day. Should be easy to fix though, right? Simply ask someone to unlock it? Apparently, no one is empowered to make the decision to unlock the restroom earlier. No one. This is some sort of executive level decision that frustrated many of the staff who wanted so badly to help my cousin to prevent her from climbing the stairs to her room with arthritic knees. We asked every day. We could never get it unlocked at 9. Sounds silly, and I am not the type to drop the ratings to one star because of one issue. But this issue could be masking a bigger problem:
1) This resort was recently sold and the new management is making changes with fees and rates. While my reservation brags about never having a resort fee (and the new management honored that with my reservation) resort fees of $25 have been added to later reservations.
2) If the employees are not empowered to unlock a bathroom door, what does that tell you about the direction management is taking with giving the employees the ability and initiative to make simple decisions?
3) This started out to not be a big deal and a source of a chuckle. But, by the end of the week, it became so annoying that it turned out to be a deal breaker with my cousin and with myself as to whether we would ever stay here again. And that is a shame, because she was looking at a long term stay next year.
So, I struggle to recommend this place. I think it has some great things going for it. But I also think its expensive. But the deal killer was simply the refusal to unlock a bathroom door at 9 AM.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located where Duval street meets the Atlantic Ocean in historic old town, Southernmost Beach Resort stretches over 6 acres across 2 city blocks on the quieter end of Duval Street, away from the hustle of Key West activities, but close enough to the excitement when you want it. The resort offers many on-site amenities such as 3 pools, 4 bars, a private oceanfront beach with tanning pier, access to public South Beach, an oceanfront restaurant, fitness center and petite spa. Southernmost Beach Resort now encompasses the Southernmost on the Beach, Southernmost Hotel and La Mer Hotel and Dewey House all part of the former Southernmost Hotel Collection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Southernmost Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southernmost On The Beach Hotel Key West
- Key West Southernmost Beach
- Southernmost Beach Hotel
- Southernmost Beach Resort Key West, Florida