“Frustrated with this review.”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I am confused and conflicted about my stay at this resort. I stayed for a week. First of all, the good. It has a wonderful location on the quiet end of Duval. I really liked the resort layout. There is a beach, a pool, beautiful grounds, activities, and nice rooms. The staff was pretty great for the most part and wanted to help meet your needs (even if they were not actually able to meet those needs). I had a king room in Bldg D which had a nice balcony. Now, the not so good. I just can't wrap my mind around paying 5 star price for a room with a motel style air conditioner. It was loud, it was annoying both inside or outside on the balcony. It woke me up all the time.

And finally, the worst part: I was here with my cousin. She had a wonderful room overlooking the ocean and 3 floors above the 'sand bar' activity area and beach. She loved going down to the little beach in the morning to sun. There was even a little restroom to use there so you can avoid the 3 flights of stairs back to your room, or trekking to the pool. Unfortunately, the restroom is locked until at least noon every day. Should be easy to fix though, right? Simply ask someone to unlock it? Apparently, no one is empowered to make the decision to unlock the restroom earlier. No one. This is some sort of executive level decision that frustrated many of the staff who wanted so badly to help my cousin to prevent her from climbing the stairs to her room with arthritic knees. We asked every day. We could never get it unlocked at 9. Sounds silly, and I am not the type to drop the ratings to one star because of one issue. But this issue could be masking a bigger problem:

1) This resort was recently sold and the new management is making changes with fees and rates. While my reservation brags about never having a resort fee (and the new management honored that with my reservation) resort fees of $25 have been added to later reservations.
2) If the employees are not empowered to unlock a bathroom door, what does that tell you about the direction management is taking with giving the employees the ability and initiative to make simple decisions?
3) This started out to not be a big deal and a source of a chuckle. But, by the end of the week, it became so annoying that it turned out to be a deal breaker with my cousin and with myself as to whether we would ever stay here again. And that is a shame, because she was looking at a long term stay next year.

So, I struggle to recommend this place. I think it has some great things going for it. But I also think its expensive. But the deal killer was simply the refusal to unlock a bathroom door at 9 AM.

Room Tip: Bldg D overlooks a parking lot, so the higher the better if you are in Bldg D. You get a nice ocean...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank quicksilver99
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughtful review. I do apologize that use of the restroom located by our Sandbar was so challenging for your cousin. Your comments were taken very seriously and in our efforts to constantly improve our services we have adjusted the safety lock on this restroom and our guests are now able to use it at their convenience. I am terribly sorry this inconvenience overshadowed what sounds like an otherwise wonderful stay with us. If I can be of further assistance to you or if you would care to share any other insights, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, it has been greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Six friends planning a getaway from the harsh New England winter could of not picked a better resort. Kudos to Chris for finding this gem . Location was perfection. Staff at the resort and the beach restaurant were outstanding. Meghan, Gui, Dale, Kelly, John, Dexter, and others made our stay so enjoyable. Rooms were beautiful, clean and comfortable . All the amenities were exactly what we wanted. We all agreed that because the Southernmost was so spectacular , it was difficult to leave. Would definitely go back. Colette

Room Tip: Take advantage of the complimentary postcards that the staff put postage on and mail for you. Nice t...
Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are happy to read that you and your friends had such a nice time with us! It is also nice to read that our team members were able to make your special trip even better; we will be sure to share your kind comments. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Had a really nice 4 night break here, and loved lots of things about the property, but not sure I would describe it as a true 5 star Hotel.

The room I had was beautifully decorated with exquisite furnishings, bed linens, gowns and towels. The bathroom design was also very nice with a huge shower cubicle, so all good. Wifi worked very well to for those annoying work emails that do come through. Room was quite near the road though, and had a distant sea view, however the road noise was quite annoying at times.

Loved the tanning pier and the sand bar near there, however wasnt a fan of the main pool and Shores bar. It felt quite small for a property of this standard and it was rare for there to be an unoccupied seat at the bar at the times I tried for a drink. Also, I personally found all the "activities" round the pool to be irritating. Pool side Bingo? Really? Sure some love it, but not for me. The towels provided also seemed a little threadbare and in need or replacing.

The biggest reason however for me, that this is not a 5 star Hotel was service. There wasnt a lot of it and what we had in our stay was slightly aloof and not particularly friendly. Arriving for example. was not five star. Off a long flight and big suitcases, but no help offered. Simply incorrect directions to take the wrong elevator in completely the wrong part of our block wasnt great. So after lugging cases up elevators it quickly became clear we had been misdirected and so found our own way to our room up a different elevator. Not what you need and not a good start. The rest of the time, it was ok, but no way 5 star. Never asked to present our key either at any time, so would imagine its very easy for non residents to use all the facilities and simply pay cash for drinks etc.

The Hotel felt a little Motel like, with the inner car parking. Maybe that was its heritage and its moved on enormously since then? However at the prices charged I expected, just that little bit more. Walking around the pretty wild spring break / Pattys day Key West, I was certainly glad of the oasis of calm at Southernmost and its definitely the best Hotel on Key West. However, just not sure its a 5 star when compared to others in that bracket.

Room Tip: I'd avoid ones near to road or poolside activities
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank bax52
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of our resort. I would like to apologize that you found our service less than exemplary; exceptional customer service is something we take great pride in providing and hearing we fell short of this is very regrettable. We appreciate and value your feedback, both positive and constructive, as it provides us with the means to improve those areas needing refinement. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. We hope to have the opportunity to make a future stay with us exceptional.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We just returned from out first trip to the Southernmost Hotel by the Beach. The place is amazing. All these other reviews are spot on! We would also add that the sunbathing pier was also an unexpected gem. It's like being on boat in the ocean without the waves and possible motion sickness that comes with it. We really enjoyed the beer class too. Fun to learn the finer points of beer making and drinking. The entire staff is friendly, professional and top notch. Never seen anything like it. We already booked a return trip. Well done Southernmost!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Porterhouse88

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time with us! I would also like to thank you for letting us know that we were able to live up to the reviews that you read. It is extremely gratifying to know that your experience at our hotel was so amazing you have already booked your next stay with us! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

On the beach, wonderful breakfast, to include quiche and belguim waffles....best fresh fruit....champayne, afternoon tea, with pastries and fruit and cheeses and the most wonderful service. Wonderful is all you can say...

Room Tip: if you want beach take the end rooms...a kitchen room 410....
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Check-in staff at Southernmost on the Beach Hotel did us a massive favour by upgrading us to here when our UK travel agent (Trailfinders) booked us into a room category which didn't exist. We would have found ourselves across the road at the Southernmost Hotel, more motel style, not what we wanted for a special trip. Dewey House has very attentive staff, great breakfasts including champagne, and we had a huge bathroom. Bedroom was not the biggest ever but you are staying in a piece of history, with modern facilities. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer! Next time will miss out Islamorada and drive straight from Key Largo to here.

Room Tip: Try to avoid ground floor rooms as front onto entrance hall and sitting room where tea/ breakfast se...
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Well, once again the Southern Most has exceeded all desires. We stayed at the La Mer B & b on the Beach which was beyond our wildest dreams......breakfast in the morning...quiche, waffles, all home made,. the most incredible fresh fruit, fillled pastries with rasberry coconut, or key lime,everything to include champagne, then 4 pm tea..with more fresh fruit and veggies and pastries, there is nothing that can be added to make it more and our many thanks to SAM......

Room Tip: at the B&B if you want a room with a beach view do not be over the cafe.....
1  Thank 66travelor