“overpriced and unhelpful manager”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“overpriced and unhelpful manager”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I will start by saying that the resort is beautiful. I booked over the phone months before the trip,I was traveling with my husband and two teenage daughters.I wanted to make sure that the rooms were close and that we had some sort of outside space.They were my only specific requests and I was assured that we would be close and our rooms would have some sort of balcony or sitting area.When we arrived the rooms were next to each other but we had no balcony or even a chair outside,when I asked about this I was referred to a Manager who called me the next day and offered to move my husband and myself for only half of our trip but let the girls where they were in a different building.I was also told this would cost me an extra$125 a night.I did not move but I must say the rooms are very small and the air conditioner is very loud it was not a comfortable 6 days.there were also fees on my bill that I was not told about $25 a day for each room for every day,no explanation when I asked just a blank stare? I think if the Manager (I was never told his name) had come and spoken to me and made an honest effort to change our rooms I would feel very differently,I did not get what I had asked for and I was charged for 2 rooms with balconies and no one cared that I was upset.I would have to say its very nice but overpriced and customer satisfaction not very important .The maids and pool/beach boys were all very friendly it was the front desk staff that seemed indifferent.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what you are getting and expect it to be smaller than you think and air condition...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank marybeth g
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding that occurred during the time of making your reservation. I felt I needed to look further into this issue based on your comments and I am most sorry to have to share that indeed you did reserve and pay for 2 rooms without balconies. Our Reservations Agent did remember speaking with you and while you had discussed rooms with balconies you decided that the rooms without balconies were more desirable. It also does appear that our Front Desk Agent did try to assist you with the offer of a room with 2 queen beds and outdoor seating area for your family. It is regrettable that this solution was unsatisfactory however I believe that as it was Memorial Day weekend our agent was offering you the best option she had available during the sold out holiday. Again, I would like to apologize for any confusion or dissatisfaction you or your family experienced during your stay and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We originally booked for the Southernmost Hotel. I knew that it was on the higher end of our budget but we decided to splurge since we were only staying for three nights.
We were surprised (understatement) when we were told that they upgraded us to the Southernmost on the Beach (SOTB). We were on the second floor with a gorgeous "partial" ocean view. There was a private (man made) beach between our buildings with swaying palm trees, lounge chairs and hammocks. Since SOTB was also part of the Southernmost, La Mer, and the Dewey House, we had access to three pools, several bars and the public beach (with free lounge chairs to hotel guests).
The room was beautiful, spacious, clean and quiet. The grounds were well kept and the staff was pleasant. We loved the patio off the room. The only negative I can say is that the chairs on the room patios - ours and those we could see around us - were tattered and should be replaced.
We're looking forward to the next time we can go to Key West and stay at Southernmost on the Beach.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It is wonderful to read that you had such a nice time while staying with us. It is always wonderful to know that our rooms, grounds and location please our guests and we are thrilled that you look forward to returning to us. Thank you also for mentioning your observations regarding the outdoor seating; this information will be shared with the appropriate departments immediately. We strive to make certain every guest has the time of their life and we are happy to read we succeeded. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Kansas City area
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We truly loved our stay at the Southernmost on the Beach. We were there for our 30th Anniversary. While our reservations we not for the "on the Beach" property, but just the Southernmost Hotel with a garden view, we were upgraded to the "on the Beach" property with a beautiful ocean view! Also had a complimentary bottle of champagne in our room. What a lovely hotel. We would definitely stay here again! Thank you Southernmost on the Beach for a very memorable anniversary!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We love the fact that our guests choose to celebrate their special occasions with us! All of us here find it very gratifying to be a part of the happy memories you will always have of your 30th anniversary, thank you. We hope it won’t take another 30 years before you visit us again! Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

What's not to love about this hotel? I checked in on Saturday and loved it so much I had to stay an extra night. The first room was very clean and comfortable we were on the first floor of building A and had easy access to the pool, beach, a lawn where you could seat and watch the most beautiful sunset ever (they play relaxing live music as the sun is going down). Our second room had a beautiful balcony and it was BIG. The pool is a fun place to tan, eat, and drink!!! They make the best margaritas! Special thanks to Michel at the pool for setting us up with umbrellas, chairs, towels, and for playing ball with our baby. The hotel has a sandbar and a tanning dock (best idea ever) Kim is the bartender there and she's great! Finally, as much as I didn't want to we had to check out. Larry took care of us at the front desk and his fond farewell made me want to stay! Im a manager for a 5 star 5 diamond hotel and I'm not easy to impress. But the staff here genuinely cares about you and wants to make your stay an unforgettable experience! Thank you all so much and I look forward to my soon return!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OswaldoHuz
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. It is wonderful to read such kind comments, particularly from our colleagues in hospitality, and we are so grateful to you for sharing them. Your praise for our staff members, especially Michael, Kim and Larry are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share them with the rest of the staff. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed in building B, room 636. Beautiful king bed room with a wraparound porch which included two chairs with a small table and two chaise lounges also with a table. This was an oceanfront view. This room is on the corner of the building so we had two walls of ocean views. We kept the porch doors open most of the time and didn't need the AC. We could easily see the sunrise and sunset as well as South Beach. The staff was very helpful and attentive. We celebrated our anniversary and were gifted a nice bottle of champagne upon arrival. Bryan, the concierge, was incredibly helpful. He arranged some wonderful tours for us and set us up with bikes for the week. We loved the location. Close enough to be in the action of the island when we wanted to but far enough from the late night craziness. Loved the Southernmost Cafe. Great food there! We would definitely return to this hotel. We felt it was worth it to pay extra for the oceanfront view as we wanted to be able to see and hear the ocean from our bed. Thanks for a great week!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us during your anniversary. Your kind words for Bryan and the rest of our staff members are certainly appreciated and I will be sure to share them. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for every guest every day and it is always wonderful to hear when we succeed. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Key West.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Check-in was lacking as the front desk staff took no time at all to tell us bassic information about the hotel, pools, restaurants and beaches. There was no line-up, they just seemed disinterested. It was only later that I found a map of the rsort did I find out it was spread out over several campuses and had several pools, bars and a beach. The whole experience was cheapened right from the start when a "hotel fee"was added on at 25 dollars per day. I questioned this and the response was that it was a common standard hotel fee. Itold them I have stayed at hotels all over the world and have never run into a "hotel fee". It almost felt like a bait and switch as it's too late to go elsewhere. Hotel was nice and clean but definitely not worth the 450 Cdn it cost per night. I won't return due to the price and the hidden fees.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adrian656
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I do apologize if we failed to provide you with exceptional customer service at any point during your stay with us. Our $25 resort fee is fairly new to us but it is in no way a hidden fee. We never want our guests to feel deceived or disappointed and I regret that you felt this way. Your comments are a reminder that we only have one opportunity to make a great first impression and by listening to our guests we can always improve. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Nokomis, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Celebration our 5th anniversary in key west, we found this great hotel away from all drunk crazies. I'm writing this review at 7am sitting in the courtyard watching the water... Very quiet. The room was clean and perfect, a block from the southernmost point and at the end of Duval... Perfect. Lots of amenities if you want them. Last night there was a solo guitar player playing soft music and interacting with his ten listeners.... So very nice. Expensive but worth it for the right occasion or if you want to get away from the debacherie for a while.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dribar
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us for your anniversary. Our location on the ocean certainly makes for some lovely mornings and evening and we are glad you enjoyed them. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for every guest and it is always wonderful to hear when we succeed. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.