“Great Key West Resort”

Southernmost Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in October, the resort, and everyone one who I came into contact with working there, were nothing short of professional and fun.

From the gentleman assisting me out of the cab, front desk staff, bartenders at the magnificent pool bar and neighboring open air restaurant on the beach, room staff and all the staff in between, always with a smile and hello.

Great location on the water with a couple of pools and a small beach with complimentary chairs for guests. Key West isn't known for its beaches, so don't expect a huge sandy beach, but it is clean and ample. It's located at the quite end of (14 block long) Duval St. No need to rent a car, get a peddle bike instead or walk it.

Strongly suggest a West Lawn Ocean Front room. Hammocks strung between two palm trees and the light sound of a guitar playing singer on the weekends make for a nice spot to nap after breakfast and bloody's at the beach bar/restaurant (those are open to all guests staying at any of the Southernmost Properties, just nice to open the door to your room and listen and look with the ocean right there).

I've seen some complaints on here about resort fees of 25 USD a day/room, so expect that and enjoy your stay, it'll be worth it!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael B
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and the great service they gave you. We are so happy you enjoyed your room location and were able to partake in the evening music on our West Lawn; it is a truly beautiful experience and knowing our guest enjoy it reinforces our decision to try to anticipate what our guest want on their vacation. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for every guest every day and it is always wonderful to hear when we succeed. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Key West.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,836)

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We find this nice hotel with beautifully manicure garden in southern most beach of florida where you can eat on beach closest to Havana, rooms of the hotel a very spacious with very big bathroom big balcony with partial view to the ocean . Room are in colonial style with very comfortable bed and linen. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpfull , very nice and relaxing area around pool with Shores bar.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Spiderbar
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are very pleased you had a nice time with us enjoying our gardens and relaxing location. Your kind words for our hotel staff are truly appreciated. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and we are pleased we could do this for you. Thank you again for writing your review.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was the second stay for my sister and I at the hotel. We enjoyed this visit even more than the first! We had a wonderful West Lawn room with view of the ocean, easy access to the pool and restaurant. Everything you need is at this hotel including a great Concierge. Julie Rodriguez set us up with two wonderful excursions directing us to the perfect day to go out. She made special arrangements to get us the bikes we needed and made suggestions and reservations for us at two truly delicious restaurants. Her friendly and professional manner contributed to a perfect and happy vacation. The staff is also friendly and helpful, particularly Wally at the front desk, Patrick, our server at the Southernmost Beach Cafe and Arjay at the pool bar. As other people have said here on tripadvisor, this hotel is in a perfect location with just the right set up. This is the sort of place that, even if you stayed in your hotel room or on the hotel grounds for your visit, you'd be pleased and relaxed. You just can't beat it. It's worth the money. Did I mention there are hammocks?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. We are so happy you and your sister returned to us for your 2nd stay and enjoyed it even more than your first! Your kind comments for Julie, Wally, Patrick and Arjay are greatly appreciated and we will be sure they are shared with them and the rest of the staff. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to making your 3rd stay with us even better (and believe me, we will try)!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great grounds. There is not much decent beach in Key West, but this is one of two hotels that has nice beach and view on their grounds on the southwest side of Key West. It is expensive. The location is nice in that it is a short walk to the fun on Duvall street, but you are far enough away there is no noise. Their little bar / restaurant has nice food, not cheap, but it tastes good. Things were nice, it was just a little higher than my usual Key West budget.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank drdave44

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our award winning Southernmost Beach Café and South Beach adjacent to our property. We are very fortunate to be situated next to one of the few public beaches in Key West and are always happy when our guests take some time to enjoy it. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Like many people we met in Key West, we found on arrival that we had been upgraded from the Southernmost Hotel to the Southernmost on the Beach. Both are amazing options. Even if you stay in the hotel you still have access to all the pools, bars, and activities. The hotel is on the quieter end of Duvall Street, allowing you easy access to amazing restaurants, shops, and activities without all the noise and hustle of being in the mix. Our concierge provided amazing suggestions to restaurants (Cafe Sole- a must!) and helped us rent bikes and plan excursions. They had plenty of day time activities by the pool and the accommodations and staff were everything we needed to have a smooth, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah K
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us, including the wonderful sights of Key West. Your kind comments for our concierge are greatly appreciated and we will be sure they know of them. We strive to provide exceptional customer service for every guest every day and it’s wonderful to know you had a smooth and relaxing vacation. That’s what it’s all about. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable. Close to Southern Most Pool and beach. Tea Time and Breakfast was great - good selection of food and beverages.
We would most definitely return and try to get an ocean front room.
Enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I will start by saying that the resort is beautiful. I booked over the phone months before the trip,I was traveling with my husband and two teenage daughters.I wanted to make sure that the rooms were close and that we had some sort of outside space.They were my only specific requests and I was assured that we would be close and our rooms would have some sort of balcony or sitting area.When we arrived the rooms were next to each other but we had no balcony or even a chair outside,when I asked about this I was referred to a Manager who called me the next day and offered to move my husband and myself for only half of our trip but let the girls where they were in a different building.I was also told this would cost me an extra$125 a night.I did not move but I must say the rooms are very small and the air conditioner is very loud it was not a comfortable 6 days.there were also fees on my bill that I was not told about $25 a day for each room for every day,no explanation when I asked just a blank stare? I think if the Manager (I was never told his name) had come and spoken to me and made an honest effort to change our rooms I would feel very differently,I did not get what I had asked for and I was charged for 2 rooms with balconies and no one cared that I was upset.I would have to say its very nice but overpriced and customer satisfaction not very important .The maids and pool/beach boys were all very friendly it was the front desk staff that seemed indifferent.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what you are getting and expect it to be smaller than you think and air condition...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank marybeth g

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding that occurred during the time of making your reservation. I felt I needed to look further into this issue based on your comments and I am most sorry to have to share that indeed you did reserve and pay for 2 rooms without balconies. Our Reservations Agent did remember speaking with you and while you had discussed rooms with balconies you decided that the rooms without balconies were more desirable. It also does appear that our Front Desk Agent did try to assist you with the offer of a room with 2 queen beds and outdoor seating area for your family. It is regrettable that this solution was unsatisfactory however I believe that as it was Memorial Day weekend our agent was offering you the best option she had available during the sold out holiday. Again, I would like to apologize for any confusion or dissatisfaction you or your family experienced during your stay and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.