“Girls Key West Trip”

Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Girls Key West Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great place to stay in Keys. Staff very friendly & helpful..even though the concierge forgot to call the cab(but that's okay). Rooms/hotel grounds were very clean & fresh. You have a choice of 3 pools & very close to ocean. The one thing that did bug me was that when you leave the room & take your key with you the AC goes into a power save mode so upon re entry to your room it can be rather warm & since we went in Aug that was not pleasant. To keep the power save mode from happening you have to keep you room key in the AC slot. My roomie & I had to keep one keep in the slot & share the other which is kind of annoying when one person wants to go to the room & one doesn't. I really don't have any other complaints other than don't go in August. It's just too miserably hot!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heather H
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It’s great to read that you and your girlfriends had a nice time while staying with us. It is always wonderful to know that our rooms, grounds and location please our guests. I am sorry to read that the warm August heat was less than enjoyable and the energy saving device in your room caused you discomfort. I will be sure to share your comments with our team members to see if there is something we can do about this. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope we have a chance to make a future stay exceptional.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,156)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newark, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised upon arriving at the Southernmost on the Beach! A beautiful, bright and friendly hotel. All accommodations were up to date, clean and beautiful. Great selection of pool choices - 3 - based on what you prefer to experience! Beach area clean and direct view of the ocean. This was our second trip to Key West and we highly recommend staying at this property!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very happy to read that you were pleasantly surprised with your choice in the Southernmost on the Beach and would recommend us to others. I hope this means we will have the pleasure of hosting you again the next time your travels bring you back to Key West. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

It was relaxing and felt like home, I can't say enough about this hotel. I have never been more entertained with their little activities for the guests and all the other amenities they had to offer. They help you with anything you need and the staff is amazing, genuine, and caring. I will not go anywhere else when I come to key west. The location is great because it's ok the quiet side of duval but close enough where it gets you into the action quickly.
I can't say enough about the restaurant they had on site I went in thinking it would be sub par and was blow away. Don't stay anywhere else!!!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lexi S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am pleased to read that we were able to provide such a homey and welcoming atmosphere. I truly appreciate you kind words for our staff members – I know they work very hard to provide our guests with exceptional customer service and I am glad they did this for you. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you “home” the next time you visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend getaway to the southernmost hotel in the beach. We got a "standard" room but it was anything but standard. When we walked in there was a big picture window with a view of the ocean. It had a great balcony that was just perfect. The pool bar was awesome. Food and drinks were on point and the bartender was so cool (brooky I think was his name). He gave us a great place to see the sunset that wasn't swamped with people. We took the bicycle taxi thing to duval and back. Probably a bit to far of a walk, especially after some cocktails.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gina C
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m so glad to read your “surprise” weekend getaway was amazing. What a nice gift and I’m happy we were able to be a part of it. Thank you for you nice comments about Brookey, I will be sure to pass them on to him and our other staff members. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will visit again.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Great hotel with professional staff. Location was great, could walk to everything. Beachfront hotel, clean, comfortable rooms. Enjoyable stay! Several pools on site. Amenities are welcomed. Will stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our location on the ocean, your room, our 3 pools and numerous amenities. It’s very gratifying to know you will return for another visit and I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Husban, daughter and me stayed at Southernmost on the Beach August 10 - 13 and we LOVED our stay. Room is so spacious, the bathroom was huge and the hotel is so tranquil. I am very picky as to where i stay and I couldn't have picked a better place to stay at for our vacation. They have their own restaurant, beach, pools, bars, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Everything is within walking distance from Southernmost on the Beach. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank barac04
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m so pleased to read that you, your husband and daughter loved your stay with us. We try to have a little something to please everyone and I’m glad this was true for you and your family. We look forward to your return visit! Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

In July of 2012 my wife and I paid $998.78 for 4 nights and our stay this year at the end of July 2014 for 5 nights (same type room) will be a total cost of $2018.20. Now what has happened in the last 2 years that could have made these drastic increases in cost? From my findings all three Southernmost properties were sold. The prices were then increased. They also have imposed a somewhat hidden fee. $25 a night charge they say is a resort fee tacked on in addition to the nightly room cost. What an absurd fee. According to the web site the fee includes your access to 3 pools, 2 beaches (one beach to my knowledge is a Public Beach next to the restaurant) with beach chair use, tanning pier, fitness center, 2 pool bars (not open bars you still have to pay for drinks), oceanfront dining (again you have to pay anyway), fitness center, spa (again you have to pay anyway) and concierge services, resort activities, parking (which is not a secured lot), and wi-fi! This is also taxed at Florida & Monroe County which is classified as "Other Taxable Transaction" per room per night at %7.5.
So here's my breakdown of these new nightly rates.
$334.90 Night
$26.88 Total Night w/t Tax
$403.64 Total Per Night
x 5 nights
$2018.20 Grand Total
I will update this posting pending our visit and experience. We will be open minded in experiencing if there were any changes to the property from both a negative and positive perspective. Stay tuned in August 2014. This may be our last time we will stay at Southernmost due to the high increase in prices. I wish the new owners the best of luck in maintaining customer & resident retention as well as any new resident stays.

Update 8/13/14
My family and I have returned from our Florida trip. We checked in at the “Southernmost on the Beach” on Sunday evening July 27th at about 8:00 PM. Prior to check-in earlier the day before, I called the front desk for a request and spoke to Dexter. Great guy. He has been at this location for years and is always courteous and very helpful with assisting and answering your questions. At check-in Catherine took care of us. Very nice person to work with and is also courteous and very helpful. Check-in is easily accessible for both wheel chair and non-disabled people. There is not a bad parking spot in the lot. Lobby is not big however aesthetically is very nice and comfortable settings. The Southernmost on the Beach Property has 4 buildings. All rooms are exterior entry and security is always my concern when we stay here. That is one of my big negatives especially with increase in the nightly cost. Rooms are laid out well with a balcony. We always get two queen beds. They are very large for two average size people. Bedding is soooo comfortable. If you can’t fall asleep in one of these beds, you have a personal issue. Bathrooms are large with a large shower. There are no bathtubs to this writers knowledge. At one point we took a look into one of the King rooms with the ocean view and it was awesome. If you are a couple coming here for the first time, spend the extra cash and get the King Ocean View.

I do want to point out that Southermost did recognize us as a returning resident with a greeting card, small box of candies and a Southernmost tote bag.

The evening we checked in, both pools were closed due to added chemicals & cleaning. Property management should have done a better job at having one pool done at separate evenings. My mind comes to their “Resort Fee” in which I mentioned above that we were charged $25 for. But then again, when you are paying over $400 a night, one pool should have been open. Both pool bars were closed as well. Since we couldn’t swim, we headed to the Southernmost Beach Café. We went to the Beach Café a few times while we stayed on this trip. Mostly breakfast & dinner. We were always greeted nicely by the hostess and servers were always good. Except for one morning and the server probably should have stayed home that day. Overall the food is very good. Pigeons can be a nuisance once in a while. Just DO NOT feed the pigeons!! Seriously.
The hotel’s beach is public access. Not the cleanest, but not SM’s fault, that’s just the way the ocean is when it wants to spew seaweed on shore. And the beach that is theirs is not really a beach but a built up sandlot that overlooks down on the water with fencing. The pier is nice. I recommend using it for tanning. At the far end of the pier there is a stairway down to the water. I highly recommend brining your snorkel gear (pick up a good set at Dick’s Sporting for about 50 bucks, it’s worth it). The depth is about 4 feet all around the area. You can walk out and around as much as 500 feet at that depth. On a calm day the water will be clear enough to snorkel and you can see so many different types of colorful fish, stingrays 7 barracudas, tarpon, etc. When they swim next to you, like bees, don’t panic, don’t swat them and they will leave you alone. They are looking for very small fish to eat and not you. If you have a Salt Water aquarium, you will go nuts wanting to take fish home, but don’t do it. One day that we were snorkeling at Southernmost Beach and there were several pelicans. It was awesome to watch them dive down into the water for a fish. No comparison to watching it on NatGeo.
So a few negatives that the property needs to work on from my perspective. After 5:00 or 6:00 PM, it seems that the hotel runs on a scaled back staff. To the point where the pool area is neglected from clean up and they run out of pool towels. Two different evenings there were several beer cans on the ground next to pool lounge chairs, used plastic drink cups, used towels everywhere left on lounge chairs. I actually ended up picking debris because I couldn't take it anymore seeing it all around where we were a. One evening we observed a family that had to walk back to their rooms wet due to the towel cabinets being empty. The evening I was there a few of us pool users asked the bartender to get towels. He desperately called the front desk a few times to advise them of all the people at the pool and there were no towels available. I finally went to the front desk dripping wet and demanded room towels for my family. This would not have happened at an another upscale hotel that you would pay over $400 a night. There was no excuse Southermost. Another drawback is the property is in need of a good power wash. Sidewalks, parking lot, stairwells that are cement have stains that are compared to a 1 Star motel. Again SM, no excuse.

I also want to give Kudos to three other staff at SM on the Beach. Todd the property manager, he does his best to make your stay enjoyable, Jewels and (I hope I have his name right) Brian? The hotel concierge’s. They both work hard to assist residents in recommending restaurants, tours, museums, JET SKIS, FISHING, you name it. They have several excellent contacts and have built rapport’s with businesses around the island.

Overall my recommendation stays positive for someone to stay at “Southermost on the Beach” if you have never been there. You may have a different point & perspective other than mine. Due to our extensive travels all over, we observe these details when we’re spending a lot of cash. Especially at the price we paid each night. I want to make a side note that we needed to depart one day early due to a family issue at home.

My final question and comment, ”Southermost, why did you increase your prices by as much as 50%?” And please don’t respond with “It’s Market Price”. You need to work on competitive pricing to keep regulars like myself to come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ernest A
M_Babich, General Manager at Southernmost Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello Ernest A. I really appreciate the time you took to write such comprehensive review of the Southernmost Hotel Collection. You have highlighted many of the amenities, attractions and services our property excels at and thoughtfully pointed out the areas which we can certainly work to improve. I have to say that while we do love and strive for every guest to have the time of their life with us we would not continually improve without the honest thoughts of our guests. Ultimately, our goal is to try to anticipate not only what our guests’ might want but also supply them with those services and amenities they didn’t know they wanted.

Your point is very well taken that with the addition of our resort fee this January the amenities we offer our guests should always be available. I apologize this was not the case. There is never a good time to have to close a pool for treatment and even less so for 2 pools. We are fortunate to offer 3 pools to our guests but I do understand that having the ability to use the pool of your choice is the point. I also agree that not having pool towels available when our guests want to use them is a challenge. This is a situation we have been actively seeking a resolution to and we will continue to do so until we have resolved it. I’m sorry this affected you, your family and any other guests who found themselves without a towel.

While I understand the increase in rates has been quite the change I would like to point out that our facility really is a gem within Key West. Our location offers our guest a relaxing oasis removed from the cruise ship traffic, the fun and sometimes boisterous activities of Duval Street, direct access to the Atlantic Ocean via South Beach and our private tanning pier all situated within a lush, tropical setting. We offer our guests Beer School, Wine School, Sunday Ice Cream Socials, live entertainment, games on the West Lawn and at the Shores Pool, foosball and ping pong tables, aqua aerobics, free paddle boarding classes, complimentary lounge chairs on the public beach, concierge service, 2 business centers, 24 hours front desk support and night watch security, daily newspaper delivery to your door, in room Wi-Fi, onsite laundry facilities and onsite parking. These amenities and many more are available to our guests no matter which location they stay at within our collection and we encourage our guest to enjoy.

Finally I would like to thank you for your very nice comments for Dexter, Catherine, Todd, Julie and Brian. I am very glad each of them were able to provide you with the exceptional service you’ve come to expect. I would also like to thank you for your recommendation of us to others, even though your most recent visit did not meet your expectations. We will continue to work on correcting those areas where our service is less than 100% while challenging ourselves to outperform in those areas where we are already succeeding. I hope you will visit us again and allow us an opportunity to make your next stay truly amazing.