“I would have been better off burying my money in a hole”

Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Beach House
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 17 December 2007

It used to be a really nice place, many years ago. We bought a two bedroom unit (sleeps six) when it was still being developed around ten years ago and purchased the Premium week of Christmas. We had three kids and vacations can get pretty pricey so it seemed like a great idea. We looked forward to our trip for about the first five years. After that we have actually forfeited our week and have let the points expire (there goes about a grand) because it is such a hassle to go through the machinations of rescheduling anything that makes sense. The hoops you have to jump through to reschedule any week but your own and the Resorts International nightmare maze is just not to be believed.

After the initial purchase costs were finally paid (somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k and that took till my kids all grew up), the yearly maintenance fee has grown to become ridiculous (approx. $1000.00). Yet the rooms are worn, the appliances and furniture are only replaced if something is unusable and it doesn't look like there will be modern upgrades to be incorporated any time soon. As an insulting addition they offer wireless Internet as a "convenience" to the guests, however they don't bother to mention the exorbitant rate they CHARGE (something like an additional $10 dollars a day per computer) anyplace on their website and only post it in the signage where you can connect. However, the Mc Donald's in Key West offers it for free, so figure that one out. Consequently, the place is really showing its age (where is the maintenance fee going??) and in dire need of repair along with some major improvements.

I would have been better off burying my money in a hole. I honestly must say it was the most naive financial decision I have ever made and I must have been overcome by the sunshine fumes and the margaritas that year. Good luck trying to sell this "Lifetime Deedable Investment" and get even half of your money back. Never again, never. Do I still stay there? Yes, on occasion since we have family in Florida (though we live up North now) but honestly we try to avoid it whenever possible and hope the stars align so that we can go someplace else in the network. We have only managed to accomplish that four times in all these years though so I have learned to not hold my breath.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Zulu61

Reviewed 27 July 2007

Management is non-existent and the conceige is pathetic. On the plus side the grounds are well kept and the resort is beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank LincolnLog
Reviewed 4 July 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt Beach House Resort from 6/23 - 6/30/07. It is a great place to stay if you want a "home away from home"--two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, dining area, living room, nice screened porch with wicker furniture (glass table and four chairs for dining, wicker couch and table and rocking chair). The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, glassware, silverware, pots, pans, towels, pot holders, paper towel, dish soap, dishwasher detergent...the list goes on. Very comfortable dining area and living room spaces. The second bedroom was great for our 16 year old daughter--gave her space with a TV, which she loved. My 13 year old son slept on the queen sleeper sofa, with his own TV in the living room area. We had the huge master bed/bathroom, which had a great glassed in shower, double sinks, jacuzzi tub, separate toilet area, good closet. Drawer space in each bedroom was not an issue with a built-in set of four drawers per room. Each room also has an apartment-sized washer/dryer combo, which was a great convenience--it was nice to go home with clean clothes, even supplied with two individual-wash sized containers of Tide!
The pool is shallow (not more than 4 feet deep) but very nice for families with small children, which a nice sandy area with sand toys for the kids to play in, plenty of comfortable beach chairs and cabana-style double chaises with pads. There are picnic tables with grills available to grill food (the front desk is helpful to provide grilling tools, charcoal, lighter fluid and matches in a shed where the grills are).
Don't go to Key West expecting gorgeous, sand beaches because that is not what the Keys are about. Higgs, Smathers and the other beaches along the southern side of the island are sandy and nice with very calm, warm water--parking can be expensive. We went to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, where there is a nice beach with breakwaters that are great for snorkeling--has a nice snack bar with chair, umbrella and other types of rentals, plus plenty of shaded picnic tables--nice place to spend a day for less than $10 per car with 4 people.
The waterfront area is a "waterfront area" not especially a beach but a great place to sit on the dock and watch the sunset. Although it is sandy and there is a nice dock to fish from with water equipment rentals, there is a big sign warning people about the current in front of the property. The property sits on the corner of the Gulf and a channel that has a strong current and not a safe place to swim or snorkel--nice for kayaking, jet skis, etc.
The concierge in the front lobby was very helpful in booking trips and activities and with moped rentals--definitely a great, less expensive way of getting around when parking is $10-12 per day down by Duval Street. Our kids loved skooting around the island on the mopeds for the week--we just parked our car in the parking provided under the buildings that was free and shaded at the hotel.
I know there have been notes about the cleanliness of this hotel however, we found it clean with the exception of the tile floor-it was not 100% clean but tile floors with heavy traffic will get dirty, even if they are clean and maintained.
Overall, we would stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it to couples or families that are looking for a condo-type atmosphere, in a quieter area that is very comfortable and well-maintained.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank FamilyRI
Reviewed 29 April 2007

I spent 2 nights here this month with mother. We had a 2 bedroom in building A with a nice view of the water. The unit was reasonably furnished and I cooked several meals that we enjoyed eating on the screened in porch. I enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and made drinks in the blender. I did not use the activities or boats and was surprised at the location. I knew Key West has no natural beaches, but I thought at a place called the Beach House with trucked in sand there'd be some way to get in the water. There isn't, just the pool. We had already spent 3 days closer in to town sight-seeing and the point of these 2 days was to have a resort experience. This is the wrong location for that and that is just not an experience they can provide. So come enjoy the quirkiness of KW and stay closer to the action but skip the resort.

This hotel was full of families with badly behaved children which put a serious damper on relaxing by the pool. We paid $400+ a night and were expecting something a bit more, well, if not upscale then certainly subdued. Instead I would be jolted amake from a poolside doze to moms in cowboy hats screaming to their kids to "Shut up or I'll call X to come smack you!" This was not one family, it's a pretty representative sample of overheard conversation over the course of 2 days. I felt bad for the kids and agonized over saying something, but in the end concluded we were the odd people out and the only people who had a problem with it. As a point of comparison, I'm aware that children cry sometimes and parents get worn out. I spent the 3 previous nights at the Southernmost Hotel also in KW (see review) which was less than half the price of this place and which also had families with children by the pool. I far preferred the pool scene at Southernmost because I felt welcome, it was more fun, and it was not a crowd that shouts obscenities at children.

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank La_Rubita
Reviewed 27 April 2007

We had a girlfriends gettaway in Key West for a week. Time away from the cold and rain and sometimes snow of Toronto where we live. Stayed at the Hyatt Beach House Resort for the first time. It is in an excellent location for a quiet relaxing and enjoyable stay. Away from the hustle and bustle of Duval St. but close enough to get to the action when you want it. We had a double suite - very spacious and luxurious and decor is inviting. Outside verandah is a wonderful touch - breakfast on the patio in the early morning sun, listening to the birds and gentle rustle of the palms as they sway in the tropical breeze. Beautiful. Pool is shallow, but very enjoyable, hot tub great for meeting new friends. Tiki bar on the grounds is run by outside staff and closed up shop too early - 5 pm each day exc.Wed. closed at 4. The resort is beautifully landscaped and well taken care of. But, the floors in the suites and the refridgerator could have used a little more care in cleaning....feet were filthy 10 mins. after you showered and the fridge was dingy on the inside. Daily maid service is available at $50.00 more per day. We were on tight budget and did it ourselves. Linen change for everyone on Wednesdays.
The resort is a great place for families with young children. The shallow pool is good for them. Teenagers it would be too boring.
There should be more entertainment poolside provided....one afternoon for an hour we had a local steelband performer we enjoyed very much. But it was over too soon.
Key West was a lot of fun - many things to do - we didn't get it all in. We took the ferry trip to the Dry Tortugas. Interesting place, but not a whole days worth. Yankee Freedom 2 charged too much I think. $129.00 US for what I feel $70.00 was more appropriate. Spring migration was underway so there were a lot of photo ops for birdwatchers and butterfly lovers alike. Snorkelling offshore we didn't see very much coral life.
All in all, we loved Key West, want to go again and again. Great weather.
Packing tip: Pack everything you think you'll need and then take half of it out !!!! Very casual dress in this location no need for the fancy shoes and dresses!!

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank margaritagirlToronto
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Stayed four nights, 2/18 - 2/22. Room was very nice. Pool area was never crowded and have plenty of lounge chairs, many with covers. Only problem was on the first night, the very very very loud fire alarm in the hotel being built next door went off at 2am and was not turned off until 5:30am. Even a call to the local police did nothing to help the situation, it seems it happens often enough that they know there is no fire so no one bothers to send anyone to shut it off. As other reviews stated the construction did start every morning next door at 7am. It wasn't a problem in the master bedroom but the second bedroom was loud when it started. No restaurant on site but the rooms have a full kitchen and there are grocery stores just down the street.

If you like sailing/snorkling/kayaking check out Danger Charters.
Great trip with a great crew.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank SWPickerel
Reviewed 6 February 2007

My wife and I own a Marriott timeshare and traded our 2007 week through Interval International. We were VERY excited when we landed the Hyatt Beach House Resort and we're looking forward to the "Hyatt Experience". I expected the Hyatt to be a bit nicer than other Marriott timeshare properties we had stayed at.....Not so.

First, the resort is located as far away as you can possibly get from Old Town Key West, while still being on the island. It's about 3.5 miles away, and is located off U.S. 1. There are lots of strip mall shopping centers nearby and lots of places to buy necessities, pizza and chain-type restaurants. It would be helpful if the Hyatt operated a shuttle to the Old Town area, but inexplicably they do not. It would save $5-$15 in daily parking fees among other things.

When we checked in, we noticed that there is a MAJOR construction project going on next store, unrelated to the Hyatt property. Since our unit was on that side and we have a 1 and 3 year old, I asked to be relocated to a unit away from the construction. The receptionist said this wouldn't be possible since we booked through Interval International and the rooms for I.I. are allocated near the construction. Nice service! So after further conversation, the receptionist consulted with her manager. He/she denied our request to be moved. (note that after 3 days staying here, it appears the property is only 40% occupied!) It's impossible for me to believe that relocating us would have been any issue, despite the fact that I am Hyatt Gold. That's the "Hyatt Experience".

The units are not that great. We booked a 2 Bedroom. The main living area is very narrrow and has a kitchen area built along one wall. The floor is tile and was very dirty as evidenced by the color of our children's feet after a few minutes of play. There is a bedroom and bath at the front of the unit and a master bedroom with bath at the rear. The Master Bedroom has a shower and hot tub en suite, and a W.C. It's pretty nice. Each unit includes a large screened-in porch which is really nice as well. It has a table with 4 chairs, rattan couch and rocking chair. The disappointing thing about the unit is how small and narrow the main living area is. I've seen New York City apartments with more space.

We had problems with the toilets in both bathrooms which I fixed. We also had the water shut off for about 1 hour one morning when we wanted to shower. Apparently the construction next store caused a problem with one of the water mains and the City had to temporarily shut the supply off.

The pool is absolutely beautiful and varies in depth from 0' to 4'. It's ideal for young kids. There is also a hot tub. The exterior of the resort is pretty, well landscaped and nicely maintained.

Despite the 'brochure pictures' you may have seen, THERE IS NO BEACH. Based on the resort pictures we looked at before booking the trip, this is seriously misleading, bordering on false advertising.

Sure enough, the construction kicked in at 7am every morning and lasted through 5pm every afternoon. The banging sounds weren't that terrible, more isolated to when our kids normally take their afternoon nap, go figure. Well I take that back. I am listening to a jack hammer as I type this.

If you've stayed at Marriott timeshare resorts, they're a cut above the Hyatt Beach House resort. Maybe the other Hyatt timeshares in Old Town are nicer....trust me and skip the Hyatt Beach House resort!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family