“Do Not Stay!”

Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort
Ranked #47 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

The studio is worse than an Econolodge. If you are OK with paying over $300 for a cave with a great location, then this place is for you. I doubt that the 1 BR would be substantially better since heating and ventilation desperately need to be replaced. The bathrooms are beyond tired and there is no poolside amenities of any kind. The location could not be better. We own at the Hyatt Windward Pointe and we would recommend that you stay there and drive downtown. Parking is convenient on both sides of down and Sunset Harbor charges you anyway - so what is the point? Stay away from this tired, noisy, out-of-date hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank LedyardTraveler
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us at Sunset Harbor. To address some of your concerns, we did have our bathrooms refreshed last spring with a variety of upgrades and over the past several months we have been systematically replacing our HVAC units. I was pleased to hear that you liked the location of our resort, but wish that we could have done better at communicating the specific amenities and layout of our Studio units. I hope you consider staying with us again during your next stay in Key West. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the resort.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Some of the other reviews on the studio rooms are right on. The windows facing the street are single pane glass and do nothing to keep the noise outside from being a big distraction. The management needs to replace these windows with insulated double pane windows ASAP. The bathroom is poorly designed and needs to have a privacy door installed. The pool area is great, the location on sunset point at Mallory square can't be beat and it's one block from all the action. The units need some TLC and updating (rug stains, tile grout moldy).

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duke001

I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with your Studio unit. We appreciate every bit of feedback, as it is suggestions like yours that help us to improve Sunset Harbor. I am happy that you enjoyed the amenities here at Sunset Harbor, such as the pool and our fabulous sunset view! If you may have any other suggestions please feel free to contact the resort directly. We look forward to hopefully seeing you during your next stay in Key West.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was driving down from fort Myer but found out I left stuff for my GPS at Siesta Keys so had to drive back to pick it up. Stopped in Siesta Key for a late brunch and started to drive down to Key West, stopping in Miami for dinner.

Called Sunset Harbor to say I will be late. They told me no problems and if I get there after 11pm, there is a security guard who can let me in. Was a bit tired on the drive down so stopped for coffee and ended up napping briefly. Arrived in the middle of the night and it was a mess. The security guard claimed that it was his first night and said he did not know to where the unit is, where the elevator is, where can I park, etc. Really not what I need late night.

He could not find my packet and other information for the longest time and ended up giving me the list of checkins to find my name.. Uhmm, I could have chosen a 2bdrm for a week instead of my 1bdrm for 4 nights. Apparently the night security guards are outside subcontractors but this particular one is either lazy or incompetent. When he was having problems, I asked if there is someone he could call and he claimed No. I have to find the luggage cart and elevator myself and find the unit. No offer to help with the luggage or anything nor any verbal information.

The unit faced the docks in and the 1bdrm have the living room with a balcony. Fairly spacious and well equiped kitchen but TV set into a cabinet at the end of the kitchen counter was a bit strange and inconvenient.

Bedroom was small but adequate with 2 night table and a safe in the closet. Bathroom was a little small and spacing / location of toilet paper holder, etc. is a bit too low. Bathtub was pretty low/shallow. Some wear and tear on a few items in the unit but some kitchen appliances looked new.

The lcoation is very good right beside the Westin and down the street from Mallory Sq. . Parking ended up being in the garage in the Westin for $35. Front desk staff is fairly helpful and gives information about places to go and things to do.

Another major issue is the internet. It is very slow and sometimes not connectable from my unit. Tried to use the PC in the lobby to print out some information and it is an anceint Gateway that takes up to 2 minutes to load a page. Not sure if it is due to ISP or computer.

There are a few drinks parties for about an hour on 2 afternoons but part of the purpose is for the Hyatt Sales Rep to try and timeshare appointments. Not interested to trade 90 mins of my time for a small amount of money but interested to see what the pricing is and what new property is coming onboard so agreed to meet the sales rep for 20 mins on the day I am leaving without the incentive. lol Took far too long and a little too much sales rather than the information update I was after.

On at least 3 mornings there were large cruise ships parked outside the resort from 7-8am and till 1pm or sunset. Sometimes as many as 3 cruise ships in the docks. if you like privacy, this may have some drawbacks.

I have stayed at Beach House twice before and like Key West and Sunset Harbour is a great location but not without a few issues.

Guest can get discount from dining at Hyatt hotel but my bill from Hyatt did not get posted before I left but was billed way later.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Mary H
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

I sincerely apologize for your check in experience at the beginning of your stay with us at Sunset Harbor. Rest assured, your experience is certainly neither typical nor acceptable. We have addressed this with the management of our Security company & have taken the appropriate actions to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

Although we did not exceed your expectations, I am pleased that you had an overall good experience. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the location of our resort, the size of your living room, kitchen accommodations and the helpfulness of our Front Desk staff.

We hope to see you again soon at the Hyatt Sunset Harbor!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were in Key West the Week of Feb 7th. It started with the great service from the ladies behind the desk. (sahara) was def our favorite. Everyone that worked there was very nice and helpful. Our room was not ready (we were cpl hrs early)so we had to leave our bags in the walkway off the "lobby" I was not a huge fan of that but trusted that they would be ok out in the open. We went down to Duval street and had a great time, came back and our bags were there not touched at all. I had some business going on back home that I needed to deal with, they were very friendly with faxing things back and forth for me. Our room was clean and very nice, we stayed in the rooms that had upstairs and downstairs, beautiful view of sunset and looking at the cruise ships. Over all it was a great experience and I would def stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lreppaf
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words! I have forwarded your comments to our Front Desk associates, including Sahara, thanking them for the excellent customer service they provided. It's always great to hear positive comments that we can pass along to our team. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Key West.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

What a disappointment, we had a studio room with no view you could not even open the blinds so there was no point in even having windows. The carpet is so dirty and the whole room is so out-dated. The small TV is a joke, it sounded like we were sleeping under a dance floor. You have to PAY for room service when you leave, but you have no room service at all during your stay. You have to pay to even park a scooter out front. The room is so small you don't even have room to open your suitcase.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sammycat_13
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

I sincerely apologize that you were dissatisfied with with your recent stay. Your comments are concerning & I would like to get some additional details about the specific room you stayed in so that we can make sure it gets back up to Hyatt standards. I would interested in discussing your stay in further detail. If that is something you would be open to, please contact the resort directly and ask specifically for me. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

out of all hotels in Key west this is the best one for sure. close to all the action. great sunset view. best of key west. not every room has good view and some has no view but they are all in the best location

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tolga T

Thank you so much for your kind endorsement! We certainly appreciate hearing about guests who enjoy staying at the Hyatt Sunset Harbor. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Key West!

Reviewed 5 January 2013

This is a time share property not a hotel so don't count on any type of luggage or other desk assistance although the staff is quite friendly.

I admit I'm not a fan of time shares, but even this one puzzles me as to why one would buy into it. I booked a one bedroom billed as an efficiency but it's not. It had a toaster and coffee maker but no coffee and no sink other than the bathroom sink. I guess it was part of a 2 bedroom sort of configuration. There was no view at all . . . maybe I got this room because I was only there for one night. I was on the street overlooking the loading dock of the Westin Hotel which translates into early morning loading/unloading of merchandise, garbage pickup and the unloading of passengers from a huge cruise ship and the noise of tour groups being organized.

I don't watch TV, but for those of you who do, the flat screen is 19" and very inconveniently placed into a wall unit. There is a small couch but no real sitting area other than the bed. The toilet and shower room has no sink. The sink is separated from that room by at least 7 feet. In between the shower/toilet room and sink is a bathtub/whirlpool which is completely open to the bedroom as is the sink. No privacy whatsoever. I guess this is OK for the single traveler or those particularly in love or lust.

There are no restaurant facilities on premises but the resort is located near Duval Street and a lot of restaurants, and a discount is offered at the real Hyatt Hotel 4 blocks away.

Oh yes, that reminds me. There's a mandatory resort fee and parking charge. The pool area looks nice, and this place might be better for those looking for a place to stay for more than one night. I was there on business, and this could be coloring my view of the experience. I'm a frequent visitor to Key West, and I can say that there are many better choices of hotels, resorts, and yes, even time share properties to choose from.

This property might be better suited to the visitor who is staying a week and more likely to get a room or apartment overlooking the pool or in a better location. This one just didn't do it for me and is not for a one or 2 night stay. If that's your intention, shop around.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank cbsinfll
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

I sincerely apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay with us in November. Hyatt Sunset Harbor is a Hyatt Residence Club, so our property does not have the same type of amenities and services that a full service hotel does. However, we do have a very good relationship with our sister property, the Hyatt Key West Resort & Spa and our guests have access to their restaurants & spa.

In regards to your room, it sounds like you stayed in one of our Studios, which have a unique configuration, especially if you are expecting standard hotel accommodations. For the most part, our Studio rooms do not have views because they do not have balconies. In addition, I can personally assure you that you were not put in any specific room based on the number of nights you stayed.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and thank you for your positive comments regarding our pool. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you are planning a trip to Key West.