“Location is the word”

Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort
Ranked #47 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is the smallest Hyatt in the US forty rooms, it is on the harbor and has a beautiful view of the Sunset. It is a two minute walk to Duval Street where all the action is and the place is well maintained and had a wonderful pool area. It could use a full length mirror in every room, and trucks make deliveries to the nearby Westin property at 6:00 in the morning. Being a light sleeper this was a problem. If they could stop delivers until 8:00 am the problem will be solved. It is a wonderful property and as an owner we are satisfied, but we can always strive to be better.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank m1006
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

m1006,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Sunset Harbor and were able to enjoy the pool area. I do apologize for any deliveries in the area and the subsequent noise they might make. I will reach out to management at the nearby resort and see if there is anything we can do to push back any early deliveries. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts on Sunset Harbor and I hope we see you again very soon!

Regards,
Derek

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Sunset Harbor is a 40 unit Hyatt timeshare with 17 different floor plans so I can only speak to our unit which was 432. It is a 2 story, 2 bedroom and 3 full bath townhouse. There are 2 balconies. The floor plan is huge to the point of there being wasted space. The furniture certainly needs updating and the kitchen sure could use a major remodeling. The staff at the front desk is the best that we have come across in our travels. The pool is small but by Key West standards, it is huge. One problem is that half the chairs have towels on them by 9 am (shades of Aruba!) and people don't show till 11 or 12. Another problem is that the cruise ships dock very close by but they typically are gone by 5 pm. The location is ideal to walk to EVERYTHING that Key West has to offer. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return some day.

Room Tip: Our stay was through an Interval International exchange so we got the unit that the owners had depos...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gofishnj
NINA D, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Gofishnj,
I'd first like to so say thank you for your review, and I am very happy you enjoy your stay. We are currently in the design phase for the living room sofa beds and area rugs. We do have several major projects that are scheduled, in efforts to continue improving Sunset Harbor. We look forward to your next stay at Hyatt Sunset Harbor!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We make this a yearly event. We generally go with friends. We have a long list of places to go and things to do but often enjoy the pool the most.

Fun to watch the cruise ships come and go. Occasionally, we get to hear Mickey Mouse.

Going to spend one night there again Saturday. Have the Resturants for dinner down to three.

Hope the airplanes cooperate.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

MSGTEgon,
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Sunset Harbor. We enjoy seeing familiar faces and welcoming you back to the property. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We usually love Sunset Harbor, but this year is miserable. We are in unit 411a, which is directly by the road. When the delivery trucks back up with the BEEP-BEEP-BEEP, it is unbearable. I am a seminar speaker, so I travel for a living. I can sleep thru almost anything, but this sound is like an alarm clock on steroids. Yes, I have already purchased ear plugs; not working. Delivery trucks end their 'day' at 2:30am and begin their 'day' at 5:30am, so if you need more than 3 hours of sleep, this is not the room for you. Yesterday I was recording a webinar in the room. You guessed it: BEEP-BEEP- BEEP in the middle of my recording, so I had to start over.

This resort: fabulous. Kathy at the Front Desk: over-the-top amazing. Unit 411a: sucks.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room with door or window beside road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sunhawkins
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

sunhawkins,

Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction with your room location. I completely understand that each of our guests and owners have different expectations and preferences when staying with us and I can assure you that we always try to accommodate those requests whenever possible. I'm glad that you enjoy our resort's location and room cleanliness. And thank you for your compliments of Kathy at the Front Desk. I will definitely pass along your kind words to her and our entire team. Also, I have updated your owner profile to reflect your quiet room preference. I would also recommend that for future reservations, please reach out to me or one of our Front Desk team members as soon as you book so that we can try to make your next stay a more enjoyable one. We hope to see you back at Sunset Harbor again very soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Love this place...clean rooms, helpful front desk staff, easy acess parking, beautiful pool area. Did I forget to mention the fabulous sunset? They don't call it sunset harbor for nothing. ..you're steps away from watching the sun set. Walk on down to Mallory square for the nightly Sunset Celebration. ..check out all the vendors and street performers. Walk a bit more and end up on Duval Street. A fun time to be had by all! No car needed! We even walked to Southern Most Point. Location is everything and Hyatt Sunset Harbor has it...and a sunset to remember. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pcbeachgal
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

pcbeachgal,

I am so delighted you enjoyed staying with us! I have shared your comments with our team and from all of us here at Sunset Harbor, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community. Thank you so much for your kind words. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here in a studio Jan 23 to 26, 2014. First time here. Would definitely stay here again, though, depending on the price, we might upgrade to a one-bedroom to get the balcony. That being said, many things were very nice about the studio, as studios go.

THE GOOD: Location, location, location. You're probably aware of this, but it's very close to Duval and all the action, within a stone's throw of Truman's Little White House, and right where the cruise ships dock. Love that or hate that. I think it's cool checking out which ship is there each day, so I say it's a plus. The boat is gone by 5 pm so it won't block your sunset. As mentioned, we stayed in a studio so no balcony, but you get a little mini-kitchen (microwave, fridge, utensils, cups, etc), and the bathroom is HUGE, huge tub, separate shower. That's a nice touch for a studio. I've stayed in more expensive suites in Key West and we had no tub at all. I recommend if you stay in a studio, request the top floor, floor 3, as we were in, because we had no noise from anyone above us. The front desk staff is very friendly, and having stayed in multiple spots over KW, I can tell you that this isn't always the case. I'm from the south, and I appreciate kind hospitality. So kudos to them for that.

THINGS THAT WOULD HAVE IMPROVED OUR EXPERIENCE: All in all, it was very good, but there are a few things that could have made it all the much better. One is having a bathrobe in the room for guests' use. Would have been nice after a bath, and when we were there, it was 65 degrees sometimes, which is cold by Key West standards, so a robe to keep you toasty would have been nice. Also, the bath tub, a jetted, large one, would not heat up appropriately. It would start out a nice temperature, but by the time the tub was half full, the water coming out of the faucet was cool. Perhaps it was a combo of us being on the top floor and the weather being cool. But, worth mentioning. Along the same lines, there was no extra blanket to place on the bed for that little bit of extra bedding. In the early mornings, sometimes we would hear the folks emptying the trash, but this didn't bother me too much, as I fall back asleep pretty easily but this might be a problem for some. One last little annoyance is that the remote control would not control the TV unless you stood up & went up to the TV; you could not control it while laying in bed. I'm not sure if anything can be done about this, but it should be fixed if so; can be annoying if you're trying to channel surf & relax.

All in all, Hyatt Sunset Harbor is a nice home base if you want to have a great location while walking around exploring Key West. We would return if the schedule allows.

Room Tip: If you're in a studio, get one on the top floor to reduce noise. Studios have no balcony so boo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amieingeorgia
NINA D, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

I would like to Thank you for your positive and kind review on Hyatt Sunset Harbor. We take pride in our property and wonderful staff and for it to be recognized, is very much appreciated. I also want to thank you for your great suggestions. It's always great to hear of ways we can continue to improve our guest's experience. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have been going to Sunset Harbor every year since we bought 2007. Love this place and I would not stay at any other place. You can not beat the location close to Duval street yet it is set back in a quit area. The staff at Sunset Harbor are wonderful. We do miss Pam however her daughter is just as wonderful as her mother.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank LannieMc
Derek N, General Manager at Hyatt Sunset Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

LannieMc,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your love of Sunset Harbor with the Trip Advisor community. So many of our owners enjoy coming here year after year and we are more than happy to welcome them back home. We all miss Pam and although no one could ever replace her, Sahara certainly does a wonderful job and loves what she does just as much as her mother did. I will definitely pass along your comments to Sahara and our entire team. Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon.