Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Sunset Harbor
US$391
US$345
  • Beachfront
Ocean Key Resort & Spa(Key West)
US$468
US$348
US$317
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Havana Cabana at Key West(Key West)
US$273
All reviewsmallory squarestudio unitold townnew appliancesships dockparking garagewithin walking distancefull kitchenperfect locationduval stsloppy joespool areathird floorhome away from homea great place to staynice resortoff the beaten path
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Hyatt Sunset Harbor has an ideal location, our room was comfortable and it was quiet at night. The concierge was helpful. The Studio room was relatively economical, well equipped and roomy enough for us. I did encounter some problems though. I arrived after dark and found no one at the door to help with luggage. Not wanting to leave my partner or our luggage outside at night unattended, I lugged our bags up two large steps and through the lobby door. In the light of the next day, I discovered that there was a ramp around the side of the building, out of sight from the entrance. The bathroom is spacious and has a rectangular stall shower. The shower door is at the end farthest from showerhead and valve, so it was necessary to enter the shower to turn on the water. Adding to the problem, the single-knob control is the type that has no flow adjustment and rotates counterclockwise from off to cold to hot. The showerhead is so high on the wall that my 5’-3” partner could not reach it. When I entered the shower, I tilted the showerhead to direct the spray at the wall to avoid the bone-chilling water that came out at first, until warm water began flow. Then I re-directed the showerhead. Since my partner is not tall enough to do this, I started the shower for her so it was warm when she entered. What does a short guest do without a tall partner? Throw a bath towel over the showerhead, or freeze? After my learning curve ran out, the rest of our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

For the second year in a row, my wife and I spent a week at Sunset Harbor in late August. The accomodations - a one bedroom unit overlooking the pool - was excellent and extremely spacious. Although the resort does not have a restaurant, it is just a short walk to Mallory Square and Duval Street where there's lots of restrauants.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard F
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Just returned from a week's stay at Sunset Harbor. The one bedroom unit was spacious with the exception of the cooking area. There was a bar with two stools, a kitchen table with seating for four and a large living room with seating for four or five. The unit appeared freshly painted with new bathroom tile and it was clean. The wall decor was fitting for the setting. The bathroom could have used some counter space for toiletries but that was minor. Since there are only 40 (I think) units, the pool was never crowded and had many lounge chairs. There was no bar at the pool but everyone seemed to make their drinks in their room and brought them out to the pool which was cheaper anyway.

As others have written, the location was ideal. It was within easy walking distance of historic downtown where many of the museums and harbor were located. We particularly enjoyed the Mel Fisher Museum The trolley car is a good deal as they make 12 stops so you can get to attractions that aren't within walking distance, such as the Butterfly Conservatory, another great attraction. A pass is good for all day and you can get on and off as you please. You can get discounted rates for the trolley and other attractions by going on-line. The Conch train only makes 3 stops so I would recommend the trolley.

Since there are many restaurants, shops, and attractions within walking distance we only rented a car when we drove to Miami for a couple of days. Your biggest transporation expense is to and from the airport which is $16 each way.

The grocery store Faustino's is within walking distance and it is worthwhile to stock up on food and have them call you a cab to haul you and your food back to the resort. (about 5-6 dollars). Restaurants are pretty pricey in Key West. Sloppy Joe's is a great hangout.

Although the cruise ships sometimes block the view of the ocean, they pull out in the afternoon and you will have an unobstructive view of the sunsets. The boardwalk is close by so you can walk along it and see the sunsets. Be sure to go to the Mallory Square Sunset Celebration at least once.

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tomcarla
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The bar was set somewhat low on this Hyatt Vacation Club resort based on the previous reviews and photos. However, I was nicely surprised that it was better than I expected.

Yes, the rooms are more beach house casual than the elegance of Aspen or Bonita Springs. However, when I realized that I was in a bathing suit and surrounded by the ocean the theme all made sense.

If I were an investor, I'd revamp the bathrooms immediately. While clean, it is time for a tile and cabinet update. But, I'm hunting for things to improve. And, if you have small children you should note this could be the nosiest location because you can hear the cruise ship's announcements from your room you are so close to the action.

But the action is exactly what makes this place fabulous. Only a few steps away from Duvall Street and Harborside, you can't help but feel like you scored a big one with the location of this resort. If you like going out at night, having a few too many, and then grabbing a great slice of pizza at Angelina's before you sleep, this is the place. In addition, the Furry's Reggae and Snorkle trip departs right out your back door.

We had a car and the only time we used it was to drive to the deep sea fishing location and the airport (do not rent from Alamo or National if you have an early morning flight--they are off-property and do not open until 8 a.m. which proved to be a huge issue for my 6:40 a.m. departure flight).

Since they do not offer daily maid service (a point that some Colorado HVC owners may want to note), you can get new towels from the front office. Now, no one ever came by to pick up the old towels so by the time we left after 4 days there were at least 3 loads of towels waiting for the maid. Of course, sipping on my pina colada made this of no concern to me.

Another bonus is the ability to visit the Hyatt resort within walking distance of the location. There, you can get full service from a bartender and food with a 20% discount, which you'll need since every drink is at least $7 (typical resort cost, so I wasn't surprised).

Visit the conceriege at the front desk for some buy 1 and get 1 free drink coupons at the local bars/restaurants.

I've also stayed at Windward Point and I would say that although you lose some ambiance, the location more than makes up for this and I actually would prefer this resort over the other 2 HVC locations.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank adgrad
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Thsi was my secocnd trip to this property. This time I got a 1 bedroom with full kitchen and it was many times better than a studio unit. The location as always is fantastic being just off Sunet Harbor and Mallory Square and at the base of Duval Street.

The pool is beautiful and overlooks the crusie ships pulling in. There is also a nice hot tub. The only downside is part of the time they had a radio station blaring through the speakers.

The room was spacious and nicely funrished with updates such as a granite countertop. Oddly the room was short of electrical outlets. The sofa upholstry was torn which was unexected for a Hyatt.

The bathroom is small but functional. It is a good home base to explore all of Key est and you are in walking distance of most everything. The property is very intimate with all the units grouped around the pool. It is tight on the property simply because space in Key West is at such a premium. Parking is in a garage at the Westin next door.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple