“So-so weather and still worth it!”

Hyatt Windward Pointe
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Key West
PA
“So-so weather and still worth it!”
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe in Key West from a Friday to Monday morning in Feb 2009. The room was great, well appointed with all the necessary amenities with maybe the exception of a pizza slicer. Service was as expected, but we didn't expect much with this location since it is a time share resort. The front desk check-in was painless and offered some useful basic information and a map. The check-out process was a breeze that took less than 30 seconds. The resort sits on a main road, that is oddly not that busy. Across the street is a very wide walk way which rests on a ocean wall (no sand/beach). The on site pool, hot tub, volley ball court were great. It was unseasonably cool (mid 60's to low 70's) so the pool was mostly out of the picture, but was nice for the few hours we had in the low/mid 70's. The on site snack bar was sufficient (the full blown Hyatt restaurant is at the other Hyatt location across town near Duval).

The island "entertainment" itself was enjoyable. We spent every evening on Duval street strolling through the shops and deciding which restaurant to eat at. We first tried a Cheeseburger joint which we did not even remotely enjoy. The service was fine, even good, but the food was horrible. Mushy fish and a "grey" chewy hamburger - yuck! Needless to say that experience turned us off from the local fare for a bit. We also visited the Hard Rock Cafe (very good), and a place called Fogerty's (very good - best potatoe soup ever!) There was also a very good ice cream joint a few blocks down Duval (non-chain). I don't recall the name, but it was on the street with a white little fence separating it from the street and some bar style seating. With a 2 yr old and another sub 21'er, we didn't participate in any of the wild night scene. There were however plenty of bars which seemed to be quite popular.

Random thoughts/things I remember
-The train tour was $29 a person for 1.5 hr tour - we passed on it.
-The best beach (read no homeless sleeping in the sand) was Ft. Zachery State Park. Well worth the fee to enter (based off car occupancy or walking/biking in...it's gated so you'll likely need to pay unless super sneaky). I think the cost was around $1.25 / person. It is slightly hidden, so just follow the coast or find maps/directions. It took us awhile to find the actual entrance.
-There are bicycles & scooters/mopeds _everywhere_
-There is a fair number of homeless, you'll see them on the more popular corners offering to take your picture, playing music, making things from palm leaves, or simply sleeping on the open beaches. They are however mostly harmless, of the 20-30 we saw, only one even attempted to ask for money.
-There are pink taxis all over - pointless, but funny
-There is a drag queen bar/club who promotes their club by driving a convertible white car down Duval every night around 8-9pm throwing beads to the crowd and stopping for pictures with requesting travelers. Even with a family we didn't feel uncomfortable however.
-In the NE USA we have squirrels, Key West... they have chickens. Yes - roosters were all about the non beach/non Duval street areas cockadoodle-doing and running in front of our car.
-The Hyatt was too far from any "nice" beaches to walk, but a bike for a bit older family would have worked just fine.
-The small Key West airport was right next to the resort, but unless you were actually at the pool during the day (and not at the beach?) you would never know it. Mostly small prop planes, with a handful of small jets. Didn't notice a single takeoff/landing past 8pm.

Overall, well worth the trip. We had a promotion rate on the Hyatt Windward but I could see it being worth $400 or so otherwise. If we had paid more than our sub $200 price tag I would have expected an onsite restaurant and a real concierge.

Last but not least, the sales pitch was rescheduled due to staff cuts, which was rather annoying. In the end however the Hyatt time share rep (Marius) was quite pleasant and non pushy. Had we been able to remotely afford it (half our trip was free due to credit card points or gifts from relatives), we would have likely purchased a time share through him. In all, it took 90 minutes and was quite informative.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Bert_PA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Vermont
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This was my first stay at Hyatt Windward Pointe and could not have been more pleased. The suites were spacious, clean, very comfortable and modern. The staff was most pleasant and always helpful. All of my stays away from home should be in a property of this caliber.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable and modern
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Large condo rooms (2 bedroom, two bath) High end furniture and appliances. Large balcony with telescope. A little noisy with the airport behind it. Nice to get away from downtown Key West. Bus stops in front to go to town. No sales pressure at all. Great gardens

• Liked — Close to Stock Island for fishing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panzer03
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 24 October 2008

My brother and I had a very nice time staying at this "time share" resort.

Actually the only problem we had is that we booked on expedia, and after we checked in I called the front desk to ask if we could have a unit with a balcony not quite so exposed to the common walkway, and at that point I feel like I was treated like a second class citizen for "booking online", as the front desk person put it, and couldn't be moved to another unit, because I had "booked online".

It turned out not to be too bad, and I'm glad I didn't waste my energy making a stink over it, the reality is, all the units there have balconies that are quite exposed to balconies of other units, not very private.

I have to say, even though the balconies are not very private, we still had a great time at this resort, and definitely will want to stay there again, when we return to Key West.

The Pros:

--Very Clean units, I even walked around the unit in my bare feet, which I never do in a hotel!!

--Very well stocked units, my brother and I said how we and even more guests could easily have stayed a week and relaxed and enjoyed ourselves, we were sad we were only staying four nights. There are lots of dishes, glasses, flatware, and other kitchen necessities, such as blender, toaster, food processor, coffee maker, it was great!

--Large balconies/lanais, even though they are not very private, meaning you can see a lot of other balconies from yours, and smell cigarette smoke from people smoking on their balconies in the early morning, the balconies are large with nice tile floor, a nice dining table with four chairs and two comfortable wicker rocking chairs. It looked to me like you could see the ocean from all the balconies, and there is a telescope, although I was never able to use it very well.

--The bed in the second bedroom was a queen and I thought not very comfortable (too hard for me), there is a king in the master suite. The master suite opens directly into a bath with two sinks, a clean looking jacuzzi tub, and a separate toilet room and separate shower stall. Both bedrooms had a decent sized closed, a tv, and a luggage rack. Very comfortable, other than the beds not being super comfie.

--I loved the pool at this resort, felt and smelled clean, although didn't have an obvious chlorine smell, was large enough to proving private areas for different people to swim, we very much enjoyed the pool, especially at night when no one else was there, I think the hours were 8am to 10pm.

--There is no restaurant or room service, as this is a condo resort, you certainly could prepare anything you want in the full kitchen, only thing I noticed missing was a pizza cutter. There is a snack and drink bar by the pool that is open only till 6pm with a quite limited menu, we never used it so I can't comment on the offerings.

--There is a huge green iguana that wanders around the property, that is fun to keep track off, there are two shuffle board courts which we found fun to play on the way too and from the pool.

--Note, for anyone arriving in the evening and wanting to get some groceries, the front desk dork told me about a Publix, that was already closed, thanks a lot dips..t, come to find out there is an Albertson's on North Roosevelt Highway open 24 hours, I found out while buying 50 bucks worth of groceries at the gas station...so embarrasing. You would think an evening front desk person at a resort in a tourist town would be able to tell you about the 24 hour grocery store when you arrive at 8pm hmm, maybe next time.

--Location...so funny, my biggest reservation in reserving this resort was the fact that it is a four mile drive from downtown, making driving in to town necessary, and I read how you can never find any parking in town. Sweet surprise for me, we parked easily in town, three different days, these were in mid October, so I don't know about all seasons, but I found parking every day within 5 minutes and just had to feed the meter a couple bucks of change. Also, my brother and I both found it very refreshing to drive back to "the quiet side of the island" at the end of the day, and back to our nice resort, after being in the touristy bluster of downtown Key West for the afternoon. Ironically I found the one thing I thought I wouldn't like about the resort, the location, to be surprisingly refreshing!

I would definitely recommend this resort, although I would caution that in my opinion, not more than four people would be comfortable in any given two bedroom suite.

Have Fun!

• Liked — Well stocked and clean condos.
  • Disliked — People smoking on their balconies early in the morning.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank mazeyday
Washington Twp. Pa
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We booked our unit through "rentmytimeshare.com". This website is an avenue that owners can use to rent or sell their timeshares. We had a good experience with the site because you are in direct contact with the owner.

The Hyatt Windward Pointe is a very nice Key West resort. Every unit is two bedroom two bath with full living room and kitchen. The pool is nicely sized for the resort with a hot tug, sand volleyball court, shuffle board, pool table, pool side bar, and areas for grilling. The unit was very clean with no problems with anything. We were ocean side with a great clear view of the ocean.

This resort is within walking distance to the Key West airport. At first I was a little concerned with noise. After a day there I realized it is not any issue. The airport is small so the only air traffic is a few small jets and turbo prop planes. The airport has the same schedule everyday and air traffic is minimal.

The Hyatt is on the ocean across a two lane road. There is not a beach. However, there is a nice walking path that goes for a couple miles along the ocean wall. It is walked, jogged, and biked by many people everyday and night. It is a mile walk to Smathers Beach. Duval Street is about 3 miles. Having a car is important at this resort. Parking in Key West was not bad at all. We never had a problem finding a spot within a couple blocks of Duval Street.

The resort is a timeshare and someone will ask you for your time to go over the plan. We politely declined and went on our way. We were not bothered at all. The resort also brings in local businesses once a week to talk about their tours. We found this to be a great opportunity and took advantage of some of the great offers.

We found the Hyatt Windward Pointe to be a very nice relaxing resort. The staff were polite and the pool side bar guys were great. The ocean view from the pool was great, the morning walks along the ocean walkway were great. The unit was great. We would definately go back.

We also went diving, snorkeling, golfing, and took a drive up to Bahia Honda State Park. Also, we found a great little beach on Key West called Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Nice beach, some snorkeling, outstanding sunsets. Best place for sunset pictures by far. Email me if you have any questions.

• Liked — room and pool area
  • Disliked — we didn't have any negatives
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank BooDoodle
Arizona
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We also got a great rate for sitting through the time share presentation. I strongly recommend considering it. We had three nights for about the price of one night.

The property is not really within walking distance of the Key West attractions, but there are several transportation options. First you can pay for a private shuttle company which leave from the hotel on the hour. You can use this as many times as you want each day. Secondly, taxis are always around. And, lastly, if you are planning to take the Old Town Trolley tour there is a pick up location right next door at the Best Western. That is a great tour for somebody who has never been to Key West and will provide you with a way to get almost everywhere.

The property itself is beautiful. It wasn't really as big as the pictures made it look, but the view was spectacular and the rooms are very nice. We had a two bedroom, two bath with a full kitchen and living room. It even had a huge lanai with a view of the pool and the ocean, and a telescope!!

The beds were very comfortable and the property as a whole seemed very quiet and peaceful. The pool was a bit warm but, hey, Key West in the summer. One tip- bring bug repellant. I came back covered in bites (from being outside, not in the rooms). If you do the time share thing, make sure to get your coupons early and use them up before you leave!!!

• Liked — Lovely grounds, views and rooms.
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank hhvdragon
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2008

This proved to be a great stay for 5 nights during our Florida vacation.Our suite was huge with two good sized bedrooms and a large lounge with very well equipped kitchen. Our balcony looked out over the sea and even had its own telescope. Everything was spotlessly clean and housekeeping each day was thorough.

The hotel is in a quieter part of Key West which to some may be a bit out of the way but we preferred to stay here away from the mayhem of Duval Street.

There is no restaurant but the shuttle took you to downtown Key West to sample all the reatarants there.

ps The Seaplanes of Key West to the Dry Tortugsa was excellent and well worth the expense - great snorkellingand the airport is just beside the Windward Point.

• Liked — Size and quality of suite
  • Disliked — Honestly - nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family