“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Key West
MA
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 18 March 2010

They Hyatt was a great hotel with great service. My husband and I along with another couple stayed in a two bedroom/two bath suite (room 5132) which had plenty of space and a direct ocean view. We booked a three night special for $225 per night which was a great deal for Key West. Unfortunately Key West itself left a lot to be desired. Duval street was very busy, especially at night due to Spring Break. Our one attempt at Smather's beach was ruined when someone was arrested for stealing from people while they were in the water. We also cancelled our snorkeling trip due to winds/low visibility. I would highly recommend the Hyatt Windward pointe for a relaxing vacation in Key West.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaKimberly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Oregon
Reviewed 12 March 2010

If you are looking to be right downtown in the mix of Key West, this is not the hotel for you. If you are travelling with family or a group and want a great value this is the place for you. This property is located a few miles from the downtown area. The units have two bedroom, two full bath, full kitchen and living room, laundry and a huge lanai. The pool area is beautiful and clean and pretty much every room has a view of the pool and the beach and water across the street. I paid $50 less per night for all of this than I would have for a standard two bed hotel room at a nearby hotel.

The staff is extremely helpful and friendly and the units are very nicely appointed. The airport was nearby, but flight noise was not an issue. We really loved the privacy abd versatility this property afforded.

The only negatives we encountered were some noise at night (but it was Spring Break) and horrible water pressure and temperature in the second bathroom. Otherwise the stay was terrific. This is my second visit to this property and I will look to stay here any time I am in KW.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank tikilounge
Waco, Tx
Reviewed 10 March 2010

We are Hyatt Vacation Club owners and made our first visit to Key West during Spring Break. Some of the reviews from January and February made us nervous, but we agree with the most recent reviews.
Saw no bugs in our unit, grounds are meticulously maintained, pool is great. We prefer the location away from Duval Street...it was nice coming home to something quiet.
Unit is well appointed and clean. Patio is good sized and one of the highlites overlooking the grounds and ocean.
The only negatives we found were marginal water pressure in shower, and the shower floor needed regrouting, plus the master bedroom bed was a bit soft. It's not one of the Hyatt Grand beds.
Found most of the restaurants in town to be pricey...so search for lunches off the beaten path. Everything on Duval is tourist driven and often overpriced.
Yes, the resort is next door to the airport, and yes, there are some night flights. The last one is about 930 and the first one about 8 am...half of them turbo props and half regional jets. Make no mistake, you hear them taking off or landing, but usually just for a minute or so, so not a big deal.
Did notice during spring break some college aged kids confessed to us they sneaked onto the property to use the pool and hot tub, but they were well-behaved.
Plenty of parking at resort, we often had to search for parking downtown...but always found some. usually about 1.50 per hour with meters.
This resort is nice, but not quite as good as the Highlands Inn at Carmel, or the Park Hyatt Residences at Beaver Creek.
It's well kept, and one of the best properties in Key West. We visited halof a dozen of the other nice ones to compare...almost everyone sold out during spring break week.
At many other hotels/condos, you're right on top of the next door neighbor. Not so at Windword Pointe.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BigTex23
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We spent a week here in January and found it great. Yes, you really need a car to stay here and see all of Key West, but that also allows you to retreat to the peace and quiet here when you want it. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the pool is one of the largest we saw at any hotel in Key West. The units are well-furnished and well-maintained, they didn't cut corners on quality here. The management is friendly and responsive. The resort is adjacent to the airport, but we didn't find that a problem because there are no night flights there.

Best beach in Key West by far is the state park at Fort Jackson. There is a modest entrance fee and plenty of free parking right at the beach. They have beach chair rentals and a nice snack bar, but be advised all concessions are cash only - no credit cards. Best high-end restaurant is Louie's Backyard - ocean front dining and the food and service are outstanding.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony L
Succasunna, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Just got back from a week at Windward Pointe and I must say that some of the recent reviews made me nervous, but my worries were all for naught, this place was great.
The staff and management were excellent, as an example, when we checked into the room around 7:00 PM we looked for little critters (ants) running around in the kitchen area, and yes we found some, we let the front desk know and someone from maintenance was there within ten minutes. He sprayed some stuff around and we never saw ants again during our seven day stay.
I won't repeat all of the positive things that people before me said, trust me they are all true. I will say that we had maid service everyday...
A couple of things that others omitted from their reviews...
There is free wi-fi on the property, it's a little fluky, you need to sign in every 30 minutes or so.... but it's free (which is big for a Hyatt, they usually charge...)
The water pressure in the shower was kind of weak too...
But overall we totally enjoyed our stay, would definitely stay there again if we get down to Key West...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul C
Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We had never been to Key West and really didn't have any high end expectations. It all changed when we drove into the Hyatt Windward Pointe! The front desk was extremely accommodating, the grounds were immaculate, and the pool and view from the pool were post card perfect, and the bartender was so helpful in pointing out areas of interest. We stayed on the 3rd floor turret condo, with 180 degrees of ocean. The condo was in excellent condition, CLEAN and the housekeeping was great. We can't wait to return. When we did go to Duval Street, we were so happy to be coming back to this serene place. Make sure you take in A & B Lobster House for dinner - unbelievable!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joy53MI
whinta
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I have been an owner here for several years and just returned last week. I'd read several recent reviews and was worried that my investment was not being properly maintained. I'd also seen some other properties being highly praised and wondered whether Windward Pointe was keeping pace, so I checked out some of these other places. I can now firmly report that I need not consider selling my unit for an "upgrade." There is no place I'd rather stay in KW for what I want.

Contrary to what some people may want, the location suits me for several reasons. First, it is on South Roosevelt overlooking the Atlantic. To me, this is far superior to the places on North Roosevelt, which is a busy commercial thoroughfare. South Roosevelt does not get the same kind of traffic, and even though the road is between the property and the ocean, I am not bothered by that at all. In fact, one of the things I like to do is walk or bike at sunrise on the seawall, so the location of the property is perfect for that. Second, I like that the property is away from Old Town. It's quiet at night and it's quiet during the day. If I want to enjoy the activities in town, it's a short drive away. In my mind, the reason a circus is only 2 hours long is because that is all the time most people want to spend viewing it. For KW this may be a minority view, but it's mine. Finally, it is true that the property abuts the airport, but I've never really been disturbed by the noise. Every once in a while a decent-sized craft takes off, but in a few seconds it's over. You can always complain about something, but to me it is no more than a quibble. Actually, I was more disturbed when the grass was being cut at 8AM one day. There is one further advantage to the somewhat remote location. As land is very precious in KW, some properties have units that are cheek-by-jowl and look a bit cramped. At Windward Pointe there is ample room, big balconies a lawn area, parking, and wide sidewalks.

As for the living quarters, we are talking about a time-share condominium property. You get towel and garbage service every day (and more often if needed and requested), but a full service only once at mid-week. If you need an additional room service, you can pay for it. The kitchen is beautiful. You have everything you need, and you can save a lot if you are willing to eat in once in a while. The bedrooms and baths are also beautiful. For someone traveling with children, it would be nice if the second bedroom had twin beds instead of a queen, but I knew the arrangement when I purchased the unit (I was told there was a fire code issue, which I frankly find hard to believe -- but that's just how it is). Also, the balconies are really nice with really nice furniture. I've read, I've eaten, I've had card games (day and night), I've played with my laptop out there. You can't beat it. I've never had an issue with any of the TVs, DVD player or other appliances. In fact, l think having the washer/dryer is really nice because you can pack light and go home with clean clothes. Finally, the place has always been spotless -- it isn't like, as with some places, you walk around in white socks and they are dirty or you see cigar ashes. A couple of reviews talked about bugs. I certainly haven't been bugged.

To comment on the common facilities: (1) There is plenty of parking; (2) The heated pool and hot tub areas are well-maintained -- and are even bigger than some larger quarters on the island (plenty for a place with only about 90 units); (3) The snack facility seems to be widely enjoyed (we make our own sandwiches); (4) There is a place for shuffleboard, pool, table tennis, and volleyball as well as some other games that you can check out from the front desk; (5) The management will set you up if you want to cook out -- it was kind of nice doing that one night as we looked out over the water; (6) if you want a fitness center, I'm told the one in the Hyatt hotel is available; and (7) The overall grounds (flowers/trees/lighting/lobby/pool furniture) are well-maintained.
There is coffee in the lobby every morning.

As a final note, I've never had an issue with any of the staff. The concierge service is adequate. I once had to call about a broken screen and it was fixed within an hour. I suppose anyone can have an experience that is a clunker, and I will not be critical of anyone to whom it has happened. I think that can happen anywhere, however, and I've seen no evidence that it happens too frequently at Windward Pointe.

As you might expect, the property is geared for families, and you do need a car. If you want to be part of a party place, this is not it. If you want the full service of a hotel, this is not it. If you want Old Town or a place to stay where you can walk everywhere, this is not it. If you want a quaint bed and breakfast, this is not it. If, however, you want a quiet family-oriented luxury condominium overlooking the ocean with beautiful units and facilities, I've yet to see any better in KW.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family