“Dont go you might as well sleep on the side of the road.”
Review of Leo's Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Leo's Campground
Reviewed 14 August 2014

It smells like sewage. Bathroom is hot. You hear cars all night. Tent site is a joke. Its about 3 feet next to sewage pond. I would not pay $5 for this place. Like camping in dirty backyard in the ghetto.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank kayslay

Reviewed 2 June 2014

-Great if you are planing to expend a lot of time in town. 2 blocks away from key west.
-Camp rules: quiet between 9pm to 8 am, 1 vehicle per tent, no party overnight.
-Not too many tent spots, not that many campers, feels private.
-Great value, cheaper than most places. $44/night with electricity.
-Cleanest facilities Ive ever seen in a campground.
-Lots of iguanas and a nice little pond.
-Nicole the receptionist, smile on her face and walkthrough, even i asked her to get me a good spot, and got me the best.

-Not for the campers who want to be away in nature and make a fireplace. Go to koa or Bahia Honda instead
-Didn't see a swimming pool. Not that I cared.
-Not for light sleepers, or those who want to sleep late next morning.
-if you are afraid of iguanas..... forget about camping and book in a hotel/motel
-the other receptionist, was rude when i went to the office when i wanted to stay an extra night. No customer service, no manners. this lady should work somewhere no human contact is required.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Andres L
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This campground is complete out of the spot, although the price for a tent place without electricity is very high - it takes by bike 45 minutes to the centre. The campground is in the industry zone of Key West, so you will have a lot of noises from cars etc the whole night. Additionally the ground is not secured - it is open for everybody and the office is occupied only from 11 am to 7pm - if you will need help, there is nobody. Nobody controls who are going in- and outside.... in our opinion there were some very strange people within the ground. For 2 ladies traveling alone it is not very funny to stay there and also for families it seems very uncomfortable and dangerous. Additionally there are a lot of big lizards within the campground which are coming too close to the cars and people.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank NicolettaOnTravel
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this place...you can hear the cars all night going through and also tents spots are too close between...find somewhere else if you want to sleep. I stay with my girlfriend and the place is over rate for what it offers. Save your money and your time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jesgart
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in the campground area. It was nice but with a gravel ground so we had two sleeping pads and then our sleeping bags and it was comfortable. There are 4 iguanas nearby which made the place more interesting (they didn't cause any trouble and ran away if we got too close, same for the small lizards)! Overall an enjoyable stay and although pricey still cheaper than everywhere else in Key West. Renting bikes nearby was tons of fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sylvia P
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay here for the value over Boyds. Lots are much less. This is a small camp ground with only about 23 sites. They are a bit hard to get into but provide all the emmenities. Water sewage cable and electricity. Not much grass but people forget these are basically coral reef islands and land is at a premium.

Not sure about the noise in some reviews. The place was very quite both at day and night. I'm guessing that these people went during college spring break. Easter weekend being late this year avoided the always loud and obnoxious college crowd.

Staff was very helpful and again don't understand the negative reviews. They let us move to a different site that was better for my camper.

One reviewer talked poor bath rooms. Not true. The bathrooms are kept very clean. Nice hot showers. Never any issues

As for distance it is about 4 miles to city center. We road our bikes every day. Take the A1A. It's a little but longer but better views and less traffic.

Overall great place to stay

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Morterias
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

You don't come to Key West to camp in the wilderness. You come to enjoy the food, atmosphere, sun and nightlife-- and you need a place to sleep.

I was initially put off by the young woman who checked me in. While she could use a few more charm school classes I never had to deal with her again, so my annoyance was fleeting.

I was also surprised at how tiny the campsites were, but I soon came to enjoy the friendliness and sense of community amongst the campers. After ten minutes the campsite size won't bother you.

The "RV Park" section didn't look appealing to me, with everyone lined up so close together. We're van campers, however, and the tent spots along the canal are slightly larger than the RV spots and were more than satisfactory for what we needed. In fact, we grew to really like the tent section.

The huge iguanas that run around the campground are beautiful and hysterical to watch-- and love when you feed them fresh fruit.

The bathrooms are clean. Surprisingly the men's room is nicer than the women's room. What's up with that? About five of us ladies kind of took over one of the men's rooms because it had the nicest shower. The ones in the women's room have odd little nozzles that stick out of the ceiling.

The cleaning staff was WONDERFUL. They work very hard each day.

We brought bicycles-- but it's a nearly five mile ride to Duval St., there's lots of road construction, and the traffic can be a little intimidating.

On day two we rented a two-person moped and decided that that's the ONLY way to see Key West.

Parking is easy with a moped and our two-person model was only $110/total for three days. We rented it in front of a sub shop, across the street from Captain's Row, and had nothing but fun with it.

The Rusty Anchor Seafood Restaurant is close by and it's the place you'll want to go to eat conch steak and fritters.

Camp here, rent a moped and you'll have a great vacation. The $49/night for a tent site is the best deal you'll find around here.

One last tip for the ladies:

The humidity makes putting on mascara and eyeliner impossible. I finally figured out that I could put it on at night, before I went to bed, when it got cool. Then I'd clean up my racoon eyes with a q-tip in the morning.

Laugh if you want, but the only alternative is to keep a pair of sunglasses on at all times...!

• Stayed: February 2014