First of all, I think it is so cool that historic buildings like this can be retrofitted so as to avoid the bulldozer. Where I live (in Miami FL), once a building outlives its original purpose (which seems to be after about 50 years around here) it is simply torn down (with a few exceptions). But, thankfully, this is not the case in Key West. Chelsea House is actually three distinct buildings, two of which are historic former private residences, one built in 1905 and the other in 1891. My fiance and I have stayed in both of the older buildings and they are both very very cool. This time we stayed in Room 19, which is in the 1891 building, and it was very nicely situated down a hallway (as nearly all of their rooms are) so as to avoid any undue street noise. All of the modern aspects one would expect from a hotel are there, while keeping nearly all of the historic charm as well. The only thing missing (which one has to expect in a building of this nature) is an elevator. So, if stairs are a problem for you, definitely call them and inquire before booking. Personally, I didn't find the stairs to be a problem, at all, upon inspecting the entire property, but, of course, they can be an issue for some people, for various reasons. Due to the nature of the retrofitting with any buildings such as these, no two rooms are exactly the same. So, I would advise to call and ask questions so as to know exactly what you are getting, with respect to room location, size, access, street proximity, etc. Personally, I would advise against Room 18 (which is in the 1891 building) as it opens right out onto the common area front porch (which some people might like...and the porch itself is very nice) and so, thereby, is directly facing the street (Truman Ave.), which can be noisy at times (not as much as Duval is tho). Also, supposedly, Room 18 is very haunted. I'm not going to get into all of that. (People will have to come to their own conclusions.) But, that is also something that some people actually may or may not want to avoid. It's all about personal preferences. And, in keeping, this hotel has something for everyone. There is a room (and likely several) that will suit nearly anyone's tastes. But, the main thing one can count on that is applicable to all rooms is a very clean and comfortable space with a very charming historic twist. You will have everything you need from a 3 diamond hotel. Also (and this is very important in Key West) the Chelsea House has free on-site parking, which will be practically right next to your room. This is not so easy at just any place in KW, but we have never had a problem with parking, nor anything else, at the Chelsea House. It is one of the highlights of the whole trip. Also, the staff are all very friendly and helpful. And there are even two very friendly resident cats that live on the property. This is definitely a pet friendly hotel, but call first, as only certain rooms are such. This is probably one of the coolest hotels in which I have ever stayed and we very much look forward to coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic architecture with updated, modern rooms and amenities are what you will enjoy at our Chelsea House Hotel located two blocks from Duval Street, making for a leisurely walk to Key West restaurants, nightlife, and attractions. Our stylish, boutique hotel has 48 guest rooms located within three former historic estate properties, two in the Victorian, Queen Anne architectural style; the Peter H. Hanlon house, built in 1905, and the George L. Lowe house erected in 1891. They stand on an acre of tropical gardens which includes a large, heated pool and many comfortable lounging areas. A third former estate property, the Maloney House, was built in 1884. Whether you seek sun, solitude, or a gathering spot for friends, Chelsea House Hotel offers a perfect spot for your next Key West vacation. Continental breakfast is included with all guest stays. Guest parking is available on-site. Historic architecture & modern rooms. Free continental breakfast. Free internet. Upscale eco-friendly bathroom amenities. Large pool. Boutique hotel. Walk to Duval Street and the waterfront. Located in the heart of Old Town, Key West. Charming and romantic, where modern style & comfort meets relaxed Key West vibe at the Chelsea House Hotel. Self parking onsite for 10 USD/day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Chelsea House Hotel in Key West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chelsea House Pool & Gardens Hotel Key West
- Chelsea House Pool And Gardens
- Chelsea House Hotel In Key West Florida