Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ocean Key Resort & Spa(Key West)
US$463
US$213
US$511
US$472
Orbitz.com
Havana Cabana at Key West(Key West)
US$262
  • Breakfast included
US$420
US$381
  • Pool
All reviewsbagelsduval streetstandard queencontinental breakfastpool areatruman avenuetwo blockswithin walking distanceoff street parkingking roomnice poolsized bedwalked everywherehard boiled eggsnice breakfasteach morningfront porch
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My friend booked this hotel for me in May as I had a late flight into key west and I was pleasantly surprised lovely room clean and spacious bed comfortable the complimentary breakfast plentiful and tasty very helpful reception girl helping this hopeless Scotsman work the coffee machine also has free guest parking and is handily placed for Duval st and amenities all in all would definitely stay again

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My partner and I booked a night at this hotel as we planned to get engaged on a private island close to Key West, during a four week holiday on the east coast of America. We were due to stay in Miami for five nights and as it was a dream of mine to drive the Overseas Highway to the Keys, we had left our luggage in our hotel in Miami and booked this hotel in Key West in order to make the drive down with minimal luggage and enjoy our engagement. I had booked the largest suite in the hotel which the hotels website boasts as having a private balcony with rocking chairs with a view of a quiet side street...it also states there is only one of this room. The check in time was due to be 3pm and we arrived at around 1pm. Unfortunately I was suffering from tonsillitis and was hoping to relax at the hotels pool (having been to Key West a few times before) and recharge my batteries ready for the restaurant and engagement in the evening. We tried to check in to the hotel when we arrived and were told that no rooms were ready, I was disappointed but understood that check in was officially at 3pm so we went for lunch nearby. When we came back to the hotel at 3pm we were told that there were still no rooms available and that they had no idea how long it would be. By 3.30pm, the room was still not ready and we made a complaint to the member of staff(duty manager?) that was sitting at a desk close to the reception. She was completely uninterested in the problem and just kept repeating that the hotel had been full the night before. I politely explained our situation and that it was a special occasion for us and that they should not have a check in time that they couldn't fulfil. Again I was told the hotel was busy and, at this point I was beginning to get somewhat frustrated, so I tried to explain to the member of staff that, firstly the check out time was 10am and the hotel was relatively small so if they couldn't clean the rooms within 5 hours then they really needed to hire more staff, and secondly, I had booked the largest and most expensive room (around €400 a night) and that one would assume that that would be the room they cleaned first not last. The member of staff was unbelievable rude and totally disinterested with the attitude of 'it's not ready so tough'. By 4pm, the room was still not ready so I complained further and told her that it really was unacceptable and that the booking contract stated a 3pm checkin so really they had broken this contract...she laughed in my face and told me that we had no contract with the hotel and they could do whatever they wanted. I asked her that if this was the case, then perhaps I would check out at 1pm the following day instead of the 'contractual' 10am. She told me this would not be allowed. IRONY MUCH?! Eventually at around 4:15 the room was ready. Unfortunately, it was this point that we found out that, contrary to the website, there was in fact more than one suite and that ours was on the ground floor facing the car park, with a broken terrace door onto an unfurnished terrace facing three cars. Anyone could have jumped over the small fence and just pushed open the terrace door (the locking part was broken and the wood split). The front door of the 'suite' was also damaged and hanging in such a way that there was a huge gap between the floor and the door (you could put your hand through it), which is not the best idea in the climate of Key West (lizards etc). At this point we had had enough so I put my bags back in the car, demanded a refund and left.

The staff and poor maintenance of the buildings really let's this place down...the gardens are beautiful and, with some maintenance, the buildings would be stunning...it really is true Key West style architecture and it could be an amazing place to stay. Hopefully someone has thrown the truly evil member of staff dealing with me to the sharks. She definitely should not be working in a public facing role.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RunwayModel
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

We would start by saying that it's offensive and very hard to respond to someone who calls a member of our staff "truly evil" and hopes they've been fed to the sharks. Seriously? Due to this surprisingly unpleasant tone, it would be very easy to simply dismiss all of the comments.

Having said that, however, we pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and will investigate the issues you raised. You could have certainly changed into your swimwear and relaxed by the pool earlier in the day prior to check-in time whilst we stored your luggage for you. Guests do this all the time. I would, too! Make the most of your time in Key West! Also, check-out time at the hotel has never been 10:00am. It is 11:00am. The complimentary continental breakfast finishes at 10:00am, and then there is another hour after that before guests are asked to kindly vacate their rooms, and this information is outlined in our confirmation e-mails and on the registration card you signed.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is older, but is truly authentic to Key West's style. The staff was all extremely friendly and helpful. Betsy at the front desk was kind and welcoming. We loved our time here! If you are looking for something authentic to Old Key West, I would definitely recommend. If you are looking for modern and upscale...this is not the place for you. The hotel is clean and updated but is definitely older.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine S
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent four nights here for our anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. From the moment we checked in, the customer service was excellent - professional, courteous and helpful. They even made sure we had a beautiful room for our anniversary. The location is perfect, you can walk or ride a bike and be in the thick of all the action of Duval St. Breakfast is simple but good, with pastries from a local bakery, fresh coffee and tea options. The pool is serene and the grounds are all well maintained and the rooms have the charm of a clean, modernized historic Victorian house. We loved sitting on the balcony of our room each morning as well. I would definitely recommend staying here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndieGG
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just returned from a trip to Key West and we were very happy with Chelsea House. After reading some reviews I was nervous that I should have looked elsewhere but this was the perfect place for us. Great location, very helpful staff, clean rooms. Key west is not about mega resorts and uniformity, its about history and casual comfort. Chelsea House is a great place to stay to appreciate Key West. The room we booked was the economy standard queen- it opened to great balcony looking over street and was very comfortable. It was not very large but we live in a very old home and are no accustomed to large bedrooms. We didn't spend much time in room anyways. I love old homes and buildings so I love the homey feeling we had here. Pool was a fun place to hang out and chat with other groups. Breakfast was perfect- can grab fruit and muffin to go or lounge at pool while planning the day. We rented bikes and plenty of rack space. Free parking was a major plus as well. The location is perfect- steps from Duval and quick bike ride to smathers beach. Tons of restaurants and shops nearby.
Most importantly I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely be back! Thank you for a great time!!

• Stayed: May 2014