“Great Time”

Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Naples, Florida
“Great Time”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

After reading everyone’s opinions about Ibis Bay, allow me to share mine. As an inline hockey coach, I'm always looking for road trips to play against other organizations. We decided to take our 10U and 8U teams to Key West and play a 7 game schedule. I started to contact all the hotels/motels in the area and the only one that went above and beyond to accommodate our organization (around 50 people) was Ibis Bay. Everything was taken care of. The check-in went without a hitch because the staff had everything set ready to go. There was one room that wasn't ready so the staff upgraded the family to a 2 bedroom suite without hesitation. The kids and parents all had a great time. We would like to thank the management team and staff for their courteous, friendly and professional attitude that they displayed during our entire stay. We will be back….

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank Stephen R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Will, in guest services, was awesome. The only down side to the place was location. 15 min bike ride to Duval. What it lacked in location was made up for by friendlyness. I'd stay again

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank tbos
Exelsior, MN
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Check in was a little tought they lost our reservation. The next morning they moved us and we were overlooking the ocean with great service and a great value. We will be back- thanks!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Cj J
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 January 2012

First let me tell you I'm a seasoned traveler that has stayed in a wide range of accommodations from a canvas safari tent in Africa to Motel 6's along the I-5 and 101 corridor and even Four Season's Resorts. Each of these places have their purpose and market segment. And so its true with the Ibis Bay. I booked this place for a guys week in Key West to celebrate my brother turning 50. I wanted Key West weather within striking distance of Duval via cab. I did not want to spend $400 per night for a room we would only spend 6 hours a day in.
Upon arrival the cabbie told us.."this place use to be a dive but an Australian Gazzilionaire bought it and has been dumping money into it ever since." Well he dumped it in all the right places. Within minutes of opening our door housekeeping stopped by to see if we needed anything. We forgot and opener. She produced one in seconds. We ate at the Stoned Crab for lunch, breakfast an dinner over the course of our 6 day stay and it was all delicious and fairly priced with great service. Rooms were slightly better than expected. Everything you need for a stay in the Keys. The folks complaining about this properties age or room size were either unwilling or unable to pay the extra $200+ per night to stay within stumbling distance of Duval or they can't read a map. And guess what? I've stayed and the Hyatt at the end of Duval and the rooms are the same size. The Ibis is exactly what we needed and expected for our trip at a fair price for it's location and current renovation state. I can't wait to go back in two years for my 50th to see what they've done with the place.

Pros: Gets you in Key West for half the price of places near Duval. That buys a lot of cabs, food and mojitos. Walking distance of Albertsons and K-Mart.
Cons: No hot tub. Pool unheated. Sliding glass door to our room was past its service life and even though bathroom was remodeled it needed a higher wattage light.

Suggestions: Spring the extra money for waterfront otherwise parking is on both sides of your room. You want to leave the sliding glass door open for sea breezes

Room Tip: Spring extra $ for waterfront otherwise you have cars on both sides of your room.
Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank jefkes
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We paid 220 dollars for a room at this resort Because it was new years eve. The room was really worth 70 dollars. We would not stay here again Even if it was cheap It's far from town And a taxi cost us 20 dollars!

• Stayed December 2011
8 Thank meow88

Travellers are raving about these Key West hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2012

When looking to book a room in Key West, I struggled to make a decision on which simply because there are so many mixed reviews out there. (Not just for this hotel but with many.) I wanted something cheaper, clean, and that basically got the job done. We stayed for a weekend and weren't expecting the Ritz. I settled on Ibis Bay at $125 a night through Hotwire as their 2 star option. I was satisfied with the Ibis and happy we picked the cheaper option. Here's what I thought:

We got room 407 (a handicap room, not that we asked for one). It was simple and small, but clean. There were zero bugs like some other reviews claimed. (I even checked the corners of the bed for bed bugs.) Only a queen bed and a dresser fit in the room, but it was do-able. The bed was extra kooshy which I loved being that I'm 6 months pregnant. There was a TV that looked about 15inches from 1990. A dryer, but no mini-fridge. The air-conditioner blocked out any outside noise not that there was much. Checking in was quick and easy. We'd already planned out our own trip (which is easy due to this site and the internet) before coming so we skipped the 'fun desk' aka the info desk. There was no WIFI and cell service was dodgy all over the island. We got a drink at the restaurant, but next time I'd skip it because it was pricey even during happy hour. I did enjoy all the Ibis birds wondering around the place (the tall white birds). We brought our own car so the 2.2 miles to the heart of the island wasn't an issue.
So all in all I was happy with our experience. I rated it 3 stars because to me that is an average rating. I expected average; I got average. I think some people just have too high of expectations and if you're like that you should shell out the extra money to begin with. For the price (in comparison to all the high prices in Key West) this was fine for me. Would I stay here again? Maybe.

About Key West:
This was my first trip down. Here's what you can expect. No beaches. The Key's aren't known for their beaches, don't expect ANY AT ALL. Go to Miami or the Bahamas if you want beaches. (I knew that going in so there was no disappointment.) I hear there's great snorkeling/diving/jet skiing/other water sports, but in January it was just too cold for that. (72ish for our trip, but the water's still too cold for me.) Plenty of good restaurants/bars. Plenty of tourist type shops. Plenty of friendly people and beach music. Getting around is easy if you have a car and meter parking wasn't too hard to find. I think I'd get bored if I stayed longer than a couple days during the colder months...I'd recommend Mar/April perhaps when you can do more stuff in the water.

Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank curlgurl2007
Berlin, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Im going to be simple, I found this hotel to be horrible: The room was tiny, the furniture was beaten up in the room, found spiders on the walls and ants in the sink, the room had an odor, the beds rolled and 1 of the 2 made really loud farting type of noises when you touched it or sat on it, the shower itself was not washed down (we found soap dried), the towel hanger came right off the wall, there was hardly any cell service in the room and the WIFI would not come in,the front door also creaked every little movement it had,and there was no furniture to put your stuff on. The "fun activity" lady did not help in finding something to do for adults and a teenager at night, the information we got was: it was the city that never sleeps. We asked where to go to find the nicest beach and we got sent to the beach we couldnt swim in because the mud was gross in between our toes and we didn't want to feel that.This lady also was no help in finding our way around, she just circled where about something may be on a map they give you.Only one car is allowed. The liquor was very expensive, they filled the glass with ice and put very little alcohol in it for $8 and it was not very good. The room I was in had a glass door with chairs right outside looking at cars and a road, we did not get to see the water front right from outside the room.

The positive things about this hotel was that they had parrots and a couple turtles as animals for everyone to see, the staff around the parrots were nice and brought out celery to feed them. They had a sand art area with a beautiful sculpture. The water front had an ok view, you can't swim in it. They had chairs out there you could sit on which was nice. There was no free breakfast and the location of the coffee in the morning was hard to find, we ended up having to go to the store and buying some there. The pool was decent. There was nice birds walking around too that was nice to see. The price was good for the Key West.

I personally suggest paying a little more and going to another hotel. I was extremely dissatisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank havnfun2012
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
It is hard to respond to "worst hotel ever". While I don't dispute this personal opinion, I think the other reviews here give you a more accurate picture of what most guests enjoy about Ibis Bay.