“Not worth the price”

Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Pidgeon Forge
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked a room on line. When I checked in they put in a room a bit bigger than a closet in my house. After I called front desk they told me there was nothing else available because they were sold out. The room was extremely small, stinky and the AC unit was blowing right into my face, so I couldn't even have a good sleep in what they called a room. I am not very picky and I believe that a hotel is not a destination, just a place to sleep the night. But this one was something really sub par. The area is pretty nice though, right on the water but you get advantage of that only if you get water front room. AT night it is very dark there with no lights. The bed is a cheap box with springs. Thanks god I booked only one night and moved in Marriott across the street for just $25 more a night. Don't buy those pretty pictures on their website, they are far from reality. If this is a Cuban spirit in this hotel, I wouldn't risk to be in this Cuba

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank HyghLandeR
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
HyghLandeR,

We are happy you enjoyed the grounds and feel that you could give the resort another go around! We do have other larger rooms available on property, which we also offer on third party websites. If you call us before your next trip we can help you pick out a room that would suite your needs best!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I traveled with my wife and kids so I booked a room with 2 beds. When I arrived there it turned out that they "upgraded" us to a water view room with ONE bed. For four people! When I insisted on the room with two beds they had me to show the reservation because the lady at the front desk obviously didn't have a slightest idea what we had booked. Finally after 30 minutes of disputes they gave us a suite and wanted us to pay again for the mistake which was not ours. Finally we settled everything and headed to our room only to find that it is dirty with wet towels and hair all over the shower.The front desk agent did not even apologize for that and suggested that we wait in the dirty lobby wit the kids after the long drive from Miami! It was an utter disrespect. When we demanded the manager there was none! So we decided to shorten our stay from 3 days down to one day because they refused to give us our money back. The "suite" they put us in was filthy because it stank mold and the beds were so uncomfortable that it was like sleeping in bare springs! And all that luck for "just" $230 a night. Nothing to say about the noise outside the room. We were told that there is no security on the grounds, so who knows what is going on there at night. I would recommend this resort only to my enemy. Thanks god we left on the next day.

9 Thank V A
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
We're very sorry that your recent stay at Ibis Bay Waterfront Resort did not live up to your expectations. Your less-than-perfect experience is not typical of our resort and we apologize for the booking confusion. Since the change in ownership, the resort has been undergoing a renovation program to expand and enhance the original resort. Improvements have been made to many of the rooms and include new bathrooms, bedding, furniture, and extensions to the pool and beach areas. All renovations take time to complete and apparently you encountered the old resort and not the new resort that is well underway to being completed. Please accept our apologies and if you contact us we will be glad to help make it up to you.

Travellers are raving about these Key West hotels

amsterdam
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Picture wise Ibis Bay Resort looks quite nice; when we arrived though we saw a badly maintained, cheap and dirty place. It is at best an acceptable backpacker style motel but offers certainly no resort quality. The airco makes you feel that you are just next to a jumbo jet taking off, the bathroom is tiny, the sliding doors don't close well and the tv was broke. Certainly no value for money. The beach is a strip of sand and offers no access to the water; the island's main road is close by, although the traffic noise is overruled by the airco. We were very dissapointed and left after one night. Ibis Bay Resort is absolutely overpriced.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank orangeAmsterdam
orangeAmsterdam,

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the value of your room. Our rates are comparable to others in our area. We hope that you brought your concerns to the front desk so that we could have remedied the problems, if not please do so that we can check the room and fix them right away. Our private beach does offer lounge chairs to take in the sun and soon we will make the water more accessible to swim.
Houston
Reviewed 30 April 2012

It is amazing how divided the reviews on this hotel are. It is an older 2 star motel with small bathroom no fridge and minimal furniture. We were lucky to have a bay view room and that made all the difference for us. I liked this place. The staff was friendly even though the maid missed our room the first night. The pool is awesome with great music and the bar has a happy hour from 3-7, considering the high prices in Key West this is a good value option.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TexasTick
TexasTick,

We are in the middle of a little rejuvenating and actually just put mini fridges in all of the rooms. Hopefully you enjoyed a peaceful nap in one of the hammocks overlooking the bay. I’ve patted the staff on the back for their great job and friendliness and am on my way to enjoy the happy hour myself! Cheers.
Belgium
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This a nice location where jet-ski and jetboat tour start.

The room was clean, but smell to much detergent. The commodities are old but ok for 1 or 2 night.

There is a nice swimming pool and a kind of private beach.

You need to pay for the break fast but you've for your money.

The staff was pleasant.

This is not a luxe hotel but you've for your money

1 Thank Frederic H
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Frederic H,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Ibis Bay Resort and the Stoned Crab Restaurant as well. We hope you took advantage of the free coffee every morning and the 10% discount in the restaurant! Our staff hopes that next time you are in the states you will pay us another visit!
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My family and I booked a two night pre-paid non-refundable stay here through bookit.com. It was so bad we forfeited the second night and went elsewhere. The room was depressingly barren, without the table or chair pictured in the website, instead it was just two smallish full beds, and two lawn chairs. The comforters were not clean, there was clearly stains on top as well as dirt on the bedskirts. The phone did not work (and was not fixed during our stay), the TV had problems (although the staff did eventually fix that) and the bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on, probably because it was just a cheap mattress and box spring on top a homemade-like unfinished wood crate. Our room was not cleaned until after 4 pm. The “complimentary wi-fi” only worked in the pool and bar areas, but the bookit.com website does not specify that. But the worst part was the attitude of the staff – that this is the “Key West” lifestyle. We were made to feel that complaining was not being laid back, and we should just accept these things because this is Key West. I don’t think it is being uptight to expect clean linens, a reasonably comfortable bed and working electronics, whether in Key West or not. After the manager Claudia told my family that we had a “bad attitude” we decided we had enough of this place and left. In addition, we booked a jet ski tour with Hydrothunder, the jet ski company located on the Ibis property. While they aren’t directly affiliated, they do have a contract with the Ibis, and obviously get all their business because of the location. Alex, the employee who had us sign the liability paperwork to use the jet skis, was extremely rude and disrespectful. I was nervous about the jet skis from the start. He started by saying that anything that went wrong was all our fault, and that if we went too slow we would slow down the whole group, and that we might not get to see the whole island, as it was only a 90 minute tour, essentially shaming me into thinking I needed to keep up, even if I was nervous. He also stated that there would be an explanation of the jet skis, but we had to sign that we agreed to everything first, and that there would be no training. Once I read that I could seriously injure myself or others if I didn’t know what I was doing, and this guy made me think they wouldn’t help me figure out what to do, I canceled this tour. No one needs someone who is nervous about operating a jet ski on their tour, and Alex made it clear that he and his staff was not going to help me get over my nerves, or teach me how to use a jet ski. On a positive note, Jackie and William at the Fun Desk were very nice and helpful, and the décor and turtles were cheery and bright, the food, drinks, bartenders and waitresses at the restaurant were good, but they could not overcome the sub-par conditions and rude staff that we encountered. I would not recommend this “resort” to anyone. Unless I really hated them.

12 Thank Jenny S
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for bringing your issues to my attention. Ibis Bay is being improved every day. I have addressed all the issues raised here with the staff. I think you will find Ibis Bay very much improved since you were here. Thank you for your help.
Denver
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Booked a "courtyard view" room. Got a room with no view. Outside the sliding door is
a privacy wood fence, and behind the privacy wood fence is a parking. There was dirt outside the sliding door, and there were no chairs, therefore, no "patio" to relax. The room had only one chair, no table. After requesting another chair and a table, we got a low coffee table. The sliding door was only lockable with a bar.
The office was not willing to work with us. They said they were booked out. However, there
was a vacancy sign outside. The office explained that the vacancy sign was not working.

The room was very close to the swimming pool and restaurant. Loud, loud music blarring!!

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view may be acceptable. They have a concrete patio, with chairs!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends