“Two nights ibis bay hotel”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Nice room with our own little bit of beach. Staff very helpful to plan the few days we had. Good service and quality in the restaurant. The courtesy bus was needed as the centre is too far away to walk. We never saw a taxi in town. We will recommend this hotel to our friends

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Caroline V
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Sounds like you were busy buzzing around our great little town on the shuttle bus. Our shuttle bus saves Ibis Bay guests time, hassle and downtown parking fees. Plus its much safer to leave the driving to us after any partying. I hope you got to go out onto the water too. It is so brilliantly clear and full of amazing marine life. Thank you for choosing Ibis Bay and for writing your review.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Relative to the rather staggering sums one faces for for more up-market properties in Key West in high season, I found Ibis Bay to be an attractive option at a more reasonable cost (the annoying "resort fee" notwithstanding). OK, our room was small but very attractively (I would even say cleverly) decorated. The bathroom, it must be said, had not undergone a similar makeover and looked old and a bit corroded. Service was good: a water pressure problem with the shower was rectified promptly, and at the cafe (nice breakfast, by the way) a server cheerfully prepared an ice bucket I had requested, declining a tip and saying, "we're here to serve the guests." Nice!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Roosevelt Blvd (and the parrots).
2  Thank James G

Your review is very nice because it recalls little details about your stay that are often overlooked but make a difference to your stay at that moment. With that considered I was surprised by just 3 stars. Go on, its really a 4! LOL

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I love it so much that I extended my stay. I love the music piped thru out the property. I love the food. I love the people. My room is clean comfortable and under priced (I love that too). I love the breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant. I can't think of anything I don't love about this place and I have told all of my friends about it!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Mynameisbelina

What can I say except, "Thank you!". I am so glad this Ibis Bay is "your" place.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My friends and I enjoyed our stay at Ibis Bay very much. We had a bay view room. It was clean and nicely decorated. We loved that it was conveniently close to Duval street. All 3 of us said we would stay there again!

Room Tip: Get a room with Bay view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monica D
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I hope you used our free non-stop shuttle to go downtown and back. It isn't far to go but it saves paying for a cab or driving after partying. Our beachfront rooms are literally on the beach.The view is great, you get your very own hammock in the palm trees and views to the horizon. If you are an early bird, the sunrises here are as beautiful as our sunsets. Thanks for staying with us. See you soon!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Let's start with what we liked - the hotel was clean, reasonably close to Old Town with shuttle service to the tourist areas. The bed was comfortable. All the fixtures, sinks, etc. worked well and there were plenty of usable electrical outlets in the room (we have a lot of gadgets).

However...

This is really just an old motel and the attempts at making this more resort-like mainly involved brightly colored paint on the old walls and doors, some chairs by the small sand beach, and a "Fun Desk" where someone can help you book tours and meals you could well do on your own with a computer or smart phone..

There was an additional, mandatory $5 per-person "resort fee" to cover the shuttle, WiFi access and parking (yes, parking) in an open-air space outside the rooms. That was really more a money grab than real value. Why not be honest about it and just charge $10 more on the basic room?

The room was small, with a table and 2 chairs we could have easily done without. It was also loud in the rooms with numbers beginning with "5". These rooms face the restaurant, which received a delivery that started before 7 am. They also face the exotic bird cage, and those things squawk - loudly - all day long. The seals on the doors, windows and AC unit were virtually non-existent, adding to the "noise leakage" and drafts. The blinds did not reduce the light in the morning, making sleeping past an early hour even ore difficult.

In all, we feel we should have spent a bit more to get a nicer place or something closer to the downtown area. The savings were not worth the many down-sides.

Room Tip: If you must stay hear, avoid rooms starting with 5.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

You chose one of our bargain-priced Value Rooms. They are very inexpensive for Key West. They are geared for people who would rather put their money into Key West's activities than into a large room they don't plan on spending much time in. Ibis bay is a historic 1950s resort that celebrates Key West's glorious heyday of neon signs and convertible Cadillacs. We offer many room types ... larger rooms, beachfront rooms, duplexes with water views and multi-bedroom suites with their own private beach and BBQ area. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room choice.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We went to Ibis Bay Resort in the keys looking for a great time only to be very disappointed in our stay.
Initially we were quoted one price but the little additions not mentioned in their advertisement took us back a bit. They required us to pay $5 a day person for parking, shuttle, and internet weather used or not. The internet was unreliable and the front desk person seemed to lack the knowledge and desire to provide any reasonable customer service. . On the third evening my wife and gentleman of the second couple both became ill after having the same food for dinner. We approached the manager in the morning to voice our concerns so nobody else would become ill. She apologized and offered a free dinner. Upon our return that evening she renegaded her offer of compensation for the apparent food poisoning suffered the night before. The air conditioners were loud making it difficult to sleep. There were no coffee makers in the room or front desk. We were advised that the only coffee available would be at breakfast. Our stay here was not pleasant and I would not recommend this "resort".

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bob A
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

I understand from your husbands earlier review that you both have a fear of geckos. Unfortunately we have little geckos painted on some room walls as a humorous detail. There are also many indigenous iguanas of all sides at the resort. Clearly these things have offended you both. I am sorry.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My experience at Ibis bay was bad. Although the people were really nice and the atmosphere is cool, I didn't get any sleep. The bed was old and lumpy, and the pillows were flat. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for this room on the main land! With the tiny room I had it was impossible to escape the outside light through the window no matter how I adjusted the blinds. I thought is was very overpriced for the quality!

Room Tip: Do not get an "economy" queen! Make sure to remove chairs outside of your room or drunks c...
2  Thank Rachel W

Our Value Rooms are small, but they are a bargain in Key West. I have had the mattress in your room changed. While all our mattresses are less than a year old, some of those mattresses did not hold up. Thank you for your comments. It's brought the problem to my attention.