Ibis Bay is an attractive, retro style waterfront hotel. Coral rock construction, beachy decorative theme, tropical rescue animals...all great, however:
The 'resort' is right next to the highway (with major construction) and 2 miles from downtown. They have a shuttle, but there was a sign posted at check-in that the shuttle was out of service the entire next day. The shuttle is crucial at this distance from downtown, where parking is scarce and expensive. When operating, the last shuttle run is 9:30pm (was expecting later in a town that is known for its nightlife). There is a $5/day per person resort fee that was not waived even when the shuttle was expected to be out of service for a full day.
We were upgraded to a waterfront room (much appreciated), but from our porch we also had a panoramic view of Rt. 1 and the ongoing construction. The water at the edge of the bay was littered with trash. I know there is only so much the proprietors can control, but these elements really killed the atmosphere. If you are looking for a pleasant bay view, you might want to request a dockside waterfront room.
Our air conditioner was very loud, the bathroom was outdated in a not-so-charming way (I think they are planning renovations soon). I appreciate that this is a 1956 hotel, I just want my fellow travelers to know what to expect.
The Stoned Crab restaurant was fantastic, bouillabaisse and lobster ravioli were amazing!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ibis Bay is exactly what you dream of when you imagine Key West. It's a friendly, quirky resort with design and colors inspired by 1950s Havana. The landscaped white sand beach leads right up to the beachfront guest rooms, and guests can jump right into the beautiful bay for swimming, snorkeling and take jet skis, kayaks or paddle boards right from our dock! The staff are all Key West locals who love the island and want our guests to enjoy their stay. We have exclusive attractions like our poolside Dive-In Movies every Wednesday night on a 20ft screen by the pool, plus Nightboarding nightime LED-lit paddleboarding and kayaking! Wildlife abounds on our grounds including huge tortoises, lots of large colorful parrots, local iguanas (don't touch!) and our namesake, the very pretty ibis birds. In the mood for some fun? Ask our Fun Desk concierge about our jet ski, scooter and electric car rentals on site plus paddle board, kayaks and kiteboard rentals on the beach. They can also recommend off-site activities, restaurants, tours and local attractions. We have 80 hammocks for lazing about, and an amazing restaurant called The Stoned Crab that has two of its very own fishing boats delivering fresh crab, shrimp, lobster and fish every day! What are you waiting for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ibis Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Bay Waterfront Hotel Key West
- Blue Lagoon Hotel
- Ibis Bay Beach Resort Key West, Florida