“I just can not recommend this place”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Holly, Michigan
“I just can not recommend this place”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We all reserve rooms on-line and hope for better than this resort. This was just not what we were hoping for and the room was below our standards. The room was very small. The bathroom was very, very small. There was about 2" between the toilet and the vanity (I've attached picture). You wonder who's bare butt rubbed against the vanity last. There was mold on the bathroom ceiling. I am 5'11" and 220 lbs. I don't think anyone bigger would of fit in the shower. I guess we expected more than 2 lawn chairs for furniture. They charge a resort fee which covers parking and their shuttle. First, I drive all the way to their resort and they charge me to park my car. Second, the shuttle did run on time. But the bus only has 8 bucket seats, we had 17 people on the shuttle returning and 15 on the way to downtown. There are no bars to hold onto if you are standing. I would question if this is even legal, it sure was not safe and seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. We had no problems with the staff and all our meals at the restaurant we very good, just the room itself.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am sorry you feel this way. Our Value Rooms might be small, but they are bargain for Key West. They are best suited for guests who spend most of their time out and about Key West. We have many larger rooms available, some with private gardens and hammocks. Our beachfront rooms have their own outside decks with hammocks between the palm trees. Maybe give one of those a try next time. Our website shows every room's dimensions. You can event take a virtual tour of each room type before you book.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
mad hgts
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We just left this morning...sad to leave. The tropical décor was perfect.
Our room was quaint and very clean. The pool was perfect, loved having restaurant on site and connected to pool area. Very friendly staff. We loved the "Life is too short bus" that ran shuttles every hour drop and pick-up all day down town....we will be staying again on our next trip and recomend to our friends!

• Stayed February 2014
Our downtown Life is Too Short Bus makes everyone smile. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed Ibis Bay and our staff. We really enjoy what we do and that always show. When people say they'll be back it's the greatest compliment anyone can give. So, thank you for that. See you soon!
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed at Ibis Bay following the Ragnar Relay, and the resort was packed with other runners. The rooms are old-style Florida rooms: small with tiny bathrooms and few amenities. The decor is exceptional and fun and they have done a great job updating this old resort. Still, for what you pay for a room a few extra amenities wouldn't kill them.

The restaurant (the Stoned Crab) was very good, though pricey. Their tea machine was broken, so we couldn't get our usual iced tea. About half the menu was no longer available or sold out. But what they did have was first-quality, very fresh and well-prepared. And the bar was excellent. Service was a bit slow, but not unacceptably so. We would go back there.

The shuttle service was VERY limited. We couldn't even get a ride up the road to the rental car place or anywhere but downtown Key West. So do not count on the shuttle service for transportation.

Bottom line: for what you pay, though the kitsch and boutique atmosphere are great, you'd probably be better off staying Downtown.

Room Tip: Don't bother calling room service. They'll just tell you that it's "slow" and...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your compliments and your observations. Our downtown shuttle is great for getting our guests downtown and back again. It's fast and virtually runs non-stop. As one of the most affordable hotels in Key West, we can't afford to offer a free-form taxi service . In fact, even the luxury-priced hotels don't offer that. But regular taxis are available if you notify our front desk or our concierge.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We just returned from our trip to Key West and Ibis Bay Resort and we had a fantastic time . We started our vacation with a cancelled flight and because of it we couldn't make the check-in at our original hotel ( the Southernmost ) . We had to push back our trip three days and the Southernmost was booked ,so we had to find another place . We had stayed at Ibis Bay a couple of years ago and it was ok but nothing special but we decided to give them another try . We are so glad we did . They made a lot of updates and are still working on more . The rooms although on the smaller side were updated and fresh . There is a shuttle that will take you downtown and runs on the hour . The pool area is clean and has a small bar . Dave , a new bartender was very attentive . As was the entire staff .( a special shout out to the the bartender who worked Tuesday and sat night. I can't remember her name ) the restaurant , The Stoned Crab is a great place for everything from breakfast to dinner . All in all we enjoyed our stay and will be back next Feb. One small suggestion , king sized beds.
It broke our hearts to have to leave and come back to Buffalo .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
As you pointed out, Ibis Bay has progressed so much. Our beautiful 1950s coral stone buildings have never looked better. Virtually every room has a private area with a hammock now. If you choose a beach front room your hammock is between the palm trees overlooking Ibis Bay. Our landscaping is constantly blooming too.We intend to keep re-investing so watch out for our latest improvements. Thank you for your fabulous review.
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The buildings and the resort look very interesting, colorful and funky and our suite was large and pleasant. Liked the murals and loved the hardwood floor in the room. The white sandy beach - very small - hammock and lounge chairs over looking part of the bay were relaxing and nicely kept. But for almost $400 (including resort fee) some basic stuff was missing and not everything was up to par. Check in was somewhat unpleasant. We got there around 3pm and was advised the room was not ready and since they already had 9 rooms for early check in "we just needed to wait" we had a late lunch at the Stoned Crab, which was excellent and after lunch the room was ready. The rooms, sitting room, bedroom and bathroom were clean except for mildew in the shower. No cups / glasses in the bathroom. No plastic bag for dirty laundry. No hand soap. No "good" mirror. There is a mirror above the bathroom sink it consist of two long pieces - like the weaves in an ocean. Very artistic but not practical. One small round mirror above the couch hung to high to check yourself unless you are 6ft. Two of the wash clothes were dirty and the towels looked a little worn and gray. Walls are very thin we could hear everything that was being said in the next room. Mattress was great and the bed linens clean. No coffee maker! There is free coffee until noon at the restaurant. When I asked for my free cup of coffee the waitress was surprised I did not want to sit down and order breakfast and I felt somewhat embarrassed when she yelled to one of her co-workers "hey get this lady her free coffee".
The worst part was when at 7 am the groundkeepers dumped a full load of big rocks from a dump truck right next to our building on to the ground and proceeded to throw the rocks into about 5 wheelbarrows with lots of loud comments of the workers to rebuild / support the sea wall this lasted until we checked out at 11am.
Sound a sleep when the first rocks hit the ground we thought earthquake or one of buildings collapsed. Why not dumped the rocks in the afternoon etc etc.
I really wanted to like this resort but after reading my review again I don't think I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boomer21848
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
You have itemized some missing items that are normally in all the rooms. I don't have an explanation except that a housekeeper did not do her job properly. I apologize for that.
The rock delivery was a communications mistake. I was in my office, which is opposite the suites. The noise made me jump out of my seat. I shot out of my office but it was obviously too late. The rocks were scheduled for the afternoon. I also shouted at my crew. That made more noise too. It was a disastrous situation. I would like to make it up to you. If you call our Front Desk and leave your contact information for me I will be in touch.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We just recently spent one night at the Ibis Bay Beach Resort. We had a nice welcome at the front desk, enjoyed the convenience of an excursion "fun desk" to book a snorkeling trip and were very happy to know that they provided a shuttle into downtown Key West. Our room, however, was a disappointment. It was very small, perhaps only 10' x 10'. The bathroom was very small too with only a little shower, no tub. For spending almost $250 for the night we were disappointed. The good thing is, with so much to see and do in Key West, we didn't spend much time in the room. We had breakfast at the on-site restaurant. The food was good (delicious omelette), service friendly but slow.

1 Thank Acadia80
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
I am glad you enjoyed the resort. Compared to other hotels in Key West, our Value Rooms are a bargain. They are not big. They are perfect for guests who don't spend lot of time in their room. We show all our room plans (with dimensions) on our website (ibisbayresort.com) and you can take a virtual video tour of every room type too. It's the best way to choose which room is right for you.
Homestead, Florida
Reviewed 18 February 2014

When we arrived at the Ibis we were pleasantly surprised, as we were expecting an old motel. Instead we found a very nice updated facility. Our room was very nice, small refrigerator, microwave in the newly painted room. Very tropical motif. The bathroom had a hairdryer, great shampoo and conditioner (Aloe and Key Lime). Our room was located just across from the pool area with two lawn chairs and a hammock outside our door. The Stoned Crab Restaurant served free coffee in the morning to the motel guest. The food was very good at the restaurant and the staff was very friendly. The free shuttle service was great and ran from 8am to 9pm.. Our last day at the motel we checked out and we were allowed to leave our car at the motel and use the shuttle to go down to Dauvall Street and spent some time. We would differently go back to the Ibis. The price was just right considering this is the height of the season here and the other hotel prices were anywhere from $350-$900 nightly. One suggestion, add some hooks or towel bars in the bathroom to hang your clothes.

Room Tip: Our room was north of the pool on the first floor with no room to the west of us. This room has a s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
It sounds like you had a nice stay. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Early the other morning I saw two other guests had slept overnight in their hammocks. I can't stay awake in them either. It must be the gentle motion. I hope you get a chance to spend another time with us.