“Wow! What an excellent place!!”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

First off, I just want to say THANK YOU to the entire staff!! The hotel staff & The Stoned Crab staff really made this a memorable trip!!!
This hotel is simply amazing!!
Some friends & I chose Ibis Bay for my bachelor weekend.
We arrived by taxi early in the morning and were greeted with a "hello" from a friendly parrot that sits outside the lobby!
The staff at the front desk were great. Probably the most speedy check-in I've EVER had!
We got to our rooms, which were 2 adjoining second floor suites, put our bags down and went straight to The Stoned Crab for lunch!
I've never felt so welcome at a restaurant/bar before! The bartender was excellent! We ate here everyday! The food and drinks were the BEST on the island! (By far the best Conch Fritters I've ever had) The bartender bought us a round, even the owner bought us a round!
I'm so glad we picked this place to stay! I've been to Key West a hundred times and this place is HANDS DOWN the friendliest, most outgoing resort on the island!!!
I definitely will return!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

I saw you guys quite a few times. Every time you were having fun. That's what it is all about here. See you next time!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The rooms are tiny--barely room to turn around--and the beds are hard. I think our "mattress" might actually have been a box spring. (Yes, it was that hard.) However, there's a big pool, movies on an outdoor screen, music by the pool and a restaurant on site. No doubt it's better suited to the young than to retirees.

Room Tip: It's on a busy street. Ask to be in one of the buildings away from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Glad you had a good time. It sounds like you booked our Value Rooms. They are small, but you get to spend the money you save having fun in Key West. We generally get compliments on our new comfy beds. I will track down your room and check the mattress. Thanks for letting me know.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Fun place to stay! The atmosphere is cool and beachy...very Key West. It's on the water (river?) the view is really pretty, we saw horse shoe crabs, lots of iguanas, had a really nice walk around the property. They rent jet ski's on site, very convenient. The room was comfy and sufficient, king sized bed, nice sized bathroom, perfect for the 2 of us. It's not close to Duvall or Mallory square so you'll need to rent a scooter (recommended) or have a vehicle to get around. Overall we had a blast here and would definitely return!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

My wife is an avid fan of the iguanas you see. You probably noticed she has iguana toys in the gift shop, iguana key chains for the rooms. There are iguana paintings too. They are amazingly beautiful. Maybe less known is that they are prized by Cubans for their meat! Not exactly what we have planned! Thanks for coming. I am glad you had fun.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The resort has a great atmosphere. It's not shiny and new but it feels like you're in a beach town. The room was small and dated but it was fine. Definitely not worth the money if it were in Miami but ok for Key West. Check out the tortoises while you're there.

Best bit: The resort atmosphere
Worst bit: price of the room

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Good point. Compared to other hotels in Key West we are actually one of the least expensive, And you are about who loves us and who doesn't. We are not shiny new Hilton box. Ibis Bay was built in 1956 from coral rock by a local. The walls are over a foot thick. I am proud to say our restoration of Ibis Bay was just given The 2014 Beautification Award from The Key West Chamber of Commerce. That was a nice surprise!

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I want to complement the staff & manager for being on top of things & concerned & considerate. I had booked thru Booking.com & had actually messed up the days that I was staying in the Keys. Booking called the manager at the Ibis Bay & they let me change the date of my stay. It could have cost me $300.00 to cancel. No added ex spence. I booked the room that had a beach & waterfront room. Not knowing that there truly are no beaches thru all of the Keys. Our room was on the bay with a tiny man made beach. The water is stagnant in the bay because of low tide. It always smells like raw sewage. We were in room 205 that was close to the Mangrove trees which held all of the ugly brown crap that was trapped in the bay. I was very upset knowing that I paid $300.00 for a water front room that you couldn't stand the smell. I went to the office & with no problem they moved us. The smell was a little less... But still there. Checking out the clerk ask me how the room was. I told her that the bed was broken down & that it killed my back. She wrote it down & said that she would tell the manager to change it out. The sound of police sirens woke me out of a dead sleep three times. Not the fault of the hotels. Just know that it is on the main drag & much construction going on. Also there is a pool bar so you are not allowed to take your own drinks or food to the pool. The rooms were very clean & unique... A throw back to the 50's. No clock radios or coffee makers.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Unfortunately Key West is pricey overall. Our prices are actually lower than most Key West hotels. Plus there's nothing as "Key West" as Ibis Bay. The moment you step upto our lobby and meet our talking bird Lexie you forget your troubles. All bay tides change constantly with the moon. When you were here the tides must have been really low. Right now they are very high. Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Loved it! Love the 'Dive In' movie night by the pool. Love the 'Life is too short Bus'. Don't know why the last person said it was a rip off. You could get free coffee every morning. Had a wonderful veiw from my patio.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sheila F

Thanks for choosing Ibis Bay and writing your review. We are the perfect place for virtually all of our guests. But some people have issues with Key West's cost and direct their frustration at us. It's not anything we have control of. I love it. But most importantly, so did you.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Now don't get me wrong...we had a lovely time here and the 2 kids really enjoyed themselves. We had a lovely evening sitting out on the waterfront and lounging in the hammocks and the pool was really nice...BUT.... we were charged $300 for 1 night and this doesn't include breakfast.The staff were unhelpful and had no time for us and the restaurant staff at the Stoned Crab were rude, charged $4 for a coffee in a plastic cup and I'm not sure if they know what a latte is. For the price we paid we're really annoyed and will not be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank 1568mcw

The most important thing to me is that you all came to Ibis Bay to have a great time and you did. I think it is very unfair to label us a "rip off". We do not have any control of the costs of doing business in Key West. I wish we did. Its pricey to live here. Reader should ompare our prices. We are one of the least expensive hotels on the island. BTW, Our Cuban style espresso coffee is a little different to a latte, it is called a "Colada". We know how to make a latte, we just don't sell them. There is a Starbucks across the road. An American latte there costs more than our Colada.