“Some beach...”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights and the room we paid for was tiny. I mean tiny! This is not hyperbole. An average smallish bedroom is larger than the room we stayed in, you have to hop over your luggage bc there is not adequate space. The beach they speak of does have nice sand but I wouldn't swim in the murky water. However there are kayak rentals on site. The stoned crab restaurant is nice for a bar but there are far better places to eat in key west. Take advantage of the shuttle service with the friendly drivers as this is one of the best amenities the hotel offers. If you plan on staying late on Duvall plan on a cab back as the service only runs till evening not late night. It's an ok place and one of the reasons I booked was for the beach but that wasn't what it was made up to be. There's better ones closer to downtown for around the same price.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Murphysmmomma
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

You stayed in our very affordable Value Rooms. They are a bargain price compared to the rest of Key West. They are best suited for younger guests and singles who have a hard time finding any affordable accomodations here. We offer guests many larger rooms. They all offer private hammock gardens or are on the beach. They cost a little more. I think they are worth it. It sounds like one of those might have been a better choice. All our rooms are shown on our website with dimensions, photos and a virtual tour of each room. It is: ibisbayresort.com.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for a week on our honeymoon! They have everything here from great food to excellent water sports and a free shuttle downtown. Rooms were very clean and had a very tropical feel!!! Would definitely stay here if we return to Key West!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J U

Congratulations on your marriage. I am glad you chose Ibis Bay for such an important stay. It's an honor. You have to come back at least one more time. We will make sure you get the same room plus romantic roses and champagne.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Ibis Bay is located right off a busy street, when we 1st pulled into the hotel I was a little skeptical about it due to the location off a noisy road. Once I walked into the lobby I had a smile on my face, it was fun, happy, welcoming, vibrant colors, not your traditional front lobby.

I had requested a queen ocean front room, I was assigned to Room 202- Queen - Handicap Beachfront Room. The room was well decorated, very fun/relaxing beach theme, patio door opened to hammocks, a little pier and a very relaxing view. Some friends of ours were in room 102 (couple + 2 teenagers) and their room didn't have such a great view and their bathroom was very small while ours was pretty large due to the fact it was a handicap room. They weren't too impressed with their room, but we were with ours.

Unfortunately we did not stay long enough to take advantage of the kayak rentals on property. We did take advantage of the free shuttle downtown one night, and had dinner and breakfast at Stoned Crab, restaurant on property, both meals were very good.(breakfast not included in stay)

There is a lot of construction going on off Roosevelt Blvd, which delayed the drive downtown and shuttle time pick up.The noise off the road did not impact the location of my room, but it might some of the rooms closer to the road.

Hotel has movie nights at the pool on Wed night (we did not take advantage) and has parrots and 2 tortoise on property. Free wifi in rooms

Loved the throw on the bed, was able to purchase it at the front lobby! Beds were very comfortable, air conditioner worked well.

My husband and I enjoyed our stay and would go back again to room 201 or the rooms adjacent to it because they have the best views/location within the property.

Room Tip: 201 and adjacent rooms - beachfront.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GypsySoleil

There are a lot of fans of Room 201. Its such a great spot. Another equally favorite spot is Room114. It overlooks one of our other floating docks on Ibis Bay. Ocassionally sit on the dock after dark with the lights on. It is postcard worthy. Thank you for choosing Ibis Bay.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had to stay at this hotel actually is more a renovated motel because there was no other hotel avilable. The room smelled terrible, it had termite dust on the floor at the end of the bed. As i walked into the bathroom there it was a huge cockroach.....after spending $250+ a night that the last thing I expected. The key lime pie at the restaurant was the only good thing about this place.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank promeo81
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We are located on the waterfront on three sides of the property. Our rooms have sliding glass doors that lead onto patios, hammock gardens or directly onto the beach. If the doors are left open a water bug can come in. It doesn't happen a lot but it does happen. I know its scary but they are not dirty like cockroaches. I am sorry for the fright.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Although we booked a room with beach view well ahead , we received one next to their junk yard where they keep (and repair ) stuff, looking at mangroves with plastic garbage inside instead of looking at a beach ... After making a complaint we got another room, now with no windows at all (!!!) and with the only source of light being the bathroom, so that we had to keep all inner doors open .
The neighbor " suite" seemed to be separated by a sheet of paper , only as we could hear every word over there and probably vice versa.

And now guess what : they charged us another 100 USD on top for this hole, ending up at over 300 $ per night !

It was noisy due to air condition and cleaning of the room was only randomly.
Warm water was not available ... so be careful when using shampoo.
WLAN worked occasionally , only .
The next day we witnessed other people complaining as well for similar reasons .

Yes, there is a little cute shuttle into town with a nice driver ( like with many other hotels by the way ) and yes, there is a nice restaurant inside the compound.
Would you then pay 300 $ for such room ?
Because the restaurant is not free of charge ...

The whole place could be rated as a reasonable backpacker hostel for which it would be ok .... But not for 300 $ per night .
It's daylight robbery !

And if now the manager apologizes and gives some pathetic explanation let me say that the staff told me there was nothing they could do as the management is adamant about the pricing conditions . So please spare any comment here as you got our money and you know we are not coming again ... and for sure you will not give anything back, will you ?

I only hope this comment will stop others from making such mistake.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 4ositos

Most guests love it here. But to help guests, we offer every guest a 30 minutes grace period. If you don't like what you see, you get a full refund unless you booked a non-refundable package. Our website shows every room type. You can even "walk" around the resort and in and out of the rooms with Google's virtual tour. We also show floor plans with measurements as well as still photographs.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

After visiting the USA for the 3rd time we decided to do something different and drive from Orlando to Key West for 2 nights at the Ibis Bay Resort. We travelled as a family of four with two daughters 16 & 18 and we all enjoyed our stay. A very pleasant welcome and a good size family room that was adequate for our short stay. Staff were exceptionally friendly and were always there if you needed anything. Loved the shuttle bus as it saved us having to take the car out for the duration of our stay. Also loved the iguanas and tortoises. Staff at the Stoned Crab were outstanding especially the young woman from Jacksonville. Met some amazing American's whilst there from New York & Texas (we were all neighbours) and we had some good chats although I think my Northern British accent was hard for them to understand. Thank you everyone at Ibis for a lovely stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank debi1160
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

I am glad you and your family tried something different and we were a good part of it. Sounds like you had a ball. Ibis Bay is specifically designed to be fun for families and couples. With all our water activities (and tropical animals!) there are lots of options. I appreciate you taking the time to help spread the word for us.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is clean, adorable and fits the needs for a great vacation. The owner, Chris, is on premises everyday except Sunday. He makes sure your stay is great. The workers are friendly and always there to make sure you are taken care of. The employees love to work there and love their boss. Their own landscape team are always cleaning and making the premises look inviting. They have jet skies, paddle boards bikes, scooters and more. They also have a short bus called "Life is too short bus" to take you to Duval St. Willie is the driver and hes priceless! Tortoises, Iguanas (they eat fruit and green leafy veggie like Kale and Romaine Lettuce), hammocks, lounge chairs, private docks, swimming pool with poolside movies and excellent food/drinks in their restaurant The Stone Crab Key West (great friendly bartenders). I travel alot and spend every year in the Keys. I am pretty picky about the places I stay and this has been one of my top favorite places. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Any room but I stayed beach front in 204. Quite sunrise and sunsets a dock, hammocks and lounge chai...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Christina S

I am having this review enlarged and hanging it on the wall behind my desk to remind my staff every day that they like me. LOL. I'm glad you had fun. We enjoy seeing our guests happy.