We found this hotel thru a book we found at another hotel. We thought we would try it since it was priced right and we only needed one night's stay.
The lobby was kind of difficult to find until you know where to look for it. Three other cars passed the lobby up as we were heading back to what looked like the office.
The young lady in the front office was being trained by one of the longer term gentleman. Both were quite nice and friendly.
We checked in and proceeded to get unloaded for the night. Upon entering the room we quickly noticed there was no closet for storage, no refrigerator, no luggage rack to put luggage on, no coffeemaker, no iron, ironing board, or hair dryer. The room was quite attractive, otherwise. Paint was very nice, tile floor very nice, the 3D lizard on the bathroom wall was priceless! The room has a lot of potential.
We showered and turned in to find out the bed feeled like the springs were about to poke thru the mattress. I've been on some bad mattresses in my short life, but this one was the worst one I can remember. They were either quite old or extremely cheap mattresses. We pulled the cover back to check it out and the mattress didn't look old. My wife called the desk to see if we might be able to sacrifice the view of the bay for a more comfortable bed. They were very accomodating and we loaded up in preparation to move to a more comfortable room. Laz greeted me at the office and thought it would be wise to check out the mattress at 401 since they were newer. Bad news was that the mattress was the same as the one we left in the 200 building. We tried one more in the 500 building by the live band and it was slightly better, but still not what is expected.
Laz was very professional and seemed to be committed to satisfying the customer (the other gentleman seemed aggravated at the attempt to help us out, but I neglected to get his name). I appreciate that and the fact that he understood where I was coming from. We ultimately opted to check out and try our luck elsewhere so we could find a bed that was comfortable enough to sleep in.
The price of the hotel was competitive for the area and the holiday week, but for that kind of money we expected much more. The term "resort" in the name is a bit misleading and until the mattresses are upgraded and until the rooms get the normal amenities (luggage rack, coffee maker, iron, etc.) I hesitate to recommend it. The place has a ton of potential and I hope the owner rethinks the beds and amenities quickly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ibis Bay is exactly what you dream of when you imagine Key West. It's a friendly, quirky resort with design and colors inspired by 1950s Havana. The landscaped white sand beach leads right up to the beachfront guest rooms, and guests can jump right into the beautiful bay for swimming, snorkeling and take jet skis, kayaks or paddle boards right from our dock! The staff are all Key West locals who love the island and want our guests to enjoy their stay. We have exclusive attractions like our poolside Dive-In Movies every Wednesday night on a 20ft screen by the pool, plus Nightboarding nightime LED-lit paddleboarding and kayaking! Wildlife abounds on our grounds including huge tortoises, lots of large colorful parrots, local iguanas (don't touch!) and our namesake, the very pretty ibis birds. In the mood for some fun? Ask our Fun Desk concierge about our jet ski, scooter and electric car rentals on site plus paddle board, kayaks and kiteboard rentals on the beach. They can also recommend off-site activities, restaurants, tours and local attractions. We have 80 hammocks for lazing about, and an amazing restaurant called The Stoned Crab that has two of its very own fishing boats delivering fresh crab, shrimp, lobster and fish every day! What are you waiting for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Ibis Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Bay Waterfront Hotel Key West
- Blue Lagoon Hotel
- Ibis Bay Beach Resort Key West, Florida