“Beautiful Inn”

Ranked #51 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Orlando, FL
“Beautiful Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2007

I’ve been staying at the Weatherstation for the last 7 years and was nervous about my latest stay after reading so many mediocre reviews on Trip Advisor. I’ve favorably reviewed this B&B in the past, and was hoping that I wouldn’t need to write a revised version.

Luckily, we had a lovely visit.

Todd was the agent on duty when we arrived, and if I’m being honest, he was a welcome change from staff we’ve met the past couple of years. He was helpful and friendly, and made himself completely available to us. Because we’ve visited KW so often, we’re always on the lookout for new and unique experiences. Todd steered us in the right direction and proved to be a reliable source of information.

The room was as comfortable and pretty as we remembered. I have no complaints about the room.

It seems that it is a certain type of traveler who chooses the Weatherstation, and I enjoyed meeting everyone at the breakfast service in the mornings. Because of the nature of a B&B, anticipate bumping into your neighbors more than you would in a hotel.

The only negative thing I could mention is the chance that you'll hear your neighbors coming and going. Also, if you're staying on the 1st floor, it is likely that you'll hear the guests above you walking around. If that sort of thing is irritating to you, then you might not enjoy staying at the Weatherstation. Also, there is no elevator, and staying on the 2nd floor is a pain. The stairs are outdoors. I always book on the 1st floor to avoid the stairs.

At any rate, I love it here.

• Liked — Peaceful, comfortable
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathryn0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Cordova
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2007

It's in a great location, you can walk to most anyplace in Oldtown that you want to go.

They don't mention the 2.5 flights of stairs you have to climb to get to you rooms on the second floor. Be prepared.

Decent view from the rooftop, after you climb another flight of stairs, from which it is easy to get a sense of vertigo from, when you descend them.

The pool is small, very favorable picture on the website. Grounds and exterior are nice and well maintained.

A/C doesn't work well in the larger rooms (Sepecifically the Grand Bahama?), so be careful if you go during the hotter months. They really made no attempt to correct this and I don't think they are.

They are still undergoing renovations.

I'm planning to go back to Key West, but will most likley stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Access/Price
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AllenBerry
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2007

My husband and I recently stayed for 2 nights at the Weatherstation Inn- and I can't say that we would be back. The one nice thing about it is the location- it is in the Truman Annex, a gated community, which is private and quiet, compared to the hustle and bustle of Duval St., only a few blocks away. However, we found the place to be very impersonal, and not attentive to our needs at all. The bed and pillows were horrible, and my husband and I were unable to sleep very well both nights. We heard the comings and goings of the guests all night long, as well as some other mechanical noises that kept us up. We would look for other accommodations next time we visit Key West!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — horrible bed and pillows
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Erielew
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2006

When we first stayed at the Weatherstation Inn several years ago, it a darling B&B at the height of the shabby chic décor phase. Sadly, the Inn is now just shabby. The current operators of this Key West landmark have allowed this former grand dame to fall into chronic disrepair. Throughout our stay, we had to step around a bucket of water placed in the common hallway to catch the water from a roof leak (later, a portion of the ceiling fell, exposing the roof beams). Paint was peeling from the walls throughout our room. We considered a move, but because it was “parrothead” weekend, there were few options. Beside, we had climbed about 50 steps up to the room with our suitcases (there is no one at the Inn who can help you with your bags and no elevator).

Stayed November 2006
5 Thank Alexis30305
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2006

Stayed @ Weatherstation Inn for 5 days last week in Sept . 2006. I don't mind paying a good price for a nice place & to be well attended to & I was not disappointed (I can be a tough customer - smile). I can't think of a description good enough to do justice to how fantastic, fantastic, fantastic this location is. I'll just say, you'll wish you lived there. Located 2 blocks from the main tourist drag & in private, upscale, gated, beautifully kept small neighborhood (Truman Annex). President Truman's summer white house is on the same block, as well a a few other historic buildings turned residences. The rest of the little neighborhood homes are all of similar lovely designs, in keeping with the era per se, & with white picket fencing & lush landscaping all around. Very quiet, clean & as I understand it the neighborhood assoc has extremely high standards. Guard at entrance monitoring incoming traffic 24 hours. Parking is great & right on site, as well as bike rack (great place for biking, do take if you visit). Beach access just a few steps from inn. The Inn is a lovely historic building, which has some damage to exterior from recent hurricane season, but interior clean & well kept. Only 8 guest rooms so it's quiet & relaxed atmosphere. Lovely pool & small garden area, very relaxing to read or sip wine. The roof of inn has been converted to a deck, from which you have probably one of the best PRIVATE view of the famous sunset over the gulf that there is on the island. From the deck you can hear the folks cheer from the crowded Mallory Square. Rooms have enough space to be comfortable, but are size you would expect for an inn. I checked out all of the rooms to see options for future visits & all are lovely. The showers are HUGE in each room, as well as overall bathrooms very roomy. Only caution is the stairs to the 2nd floor & roof deck are steep, if you're not in good shape stay on the main floor. Despite the stairs, it sure is worth the trip to the view on top. Staff is friendly & helpful, otherwise won't bother you like they do at some B&Bs - I'm in public service & don't care to have to small talk & socialize on vacation (ugh, that sounds bad, but it's true). We checked out several other places while biking around & without question will definately stay at this site on our next visit. Key West is a nice place to relax & get away, Jimmy Buffet has it right - I wish everyone could go there at least once - you don't know what you're missing til you see Key West!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canwetalk
Eldersburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2006

What a lovely Bed & Breakfast set in the gated quiet community of the Truman Annex, just 2 blocks from Duvall Street. Very sunny and bright inside. Very peaceful and relaxing, but yet close to the excitement of Key West. Friendly people taking care of seeing to it that you have an exceptional stay.

2 Thank LuvSoGo
Atlanta, Ga.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2005

My first impression when I walked in the front door was not good. The place smelled old and very musty. Our room had large settling cracks on the walls. The location makes up for a lot of the physical features. It is in the gated area of the Truman Annex so it is safe and very quiet. The smell can most likely be explained by Hurricane Katrina coming through the week before our arrival. The basement had flooded and ruined items that are stored. The staff was very nice and helpful. The continental breakfast was good. Although there were other guests there at the time, it didn't seem like it. The place was very quiet.

• Stayed September 2005