“As Wonderful as Advertised” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ambrosia Key West Tropical Lodging
Ranked #10 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“As Wonderful as Advertised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2007

On a recent six-night trip to Key West, I booked the first three nights at Ambrosia Too, my first stay there. I was delighted with the place, how it struck all the right balances: leafy and secluded, but only a block from the bustle of Duval Street; quiet and private, but full of friendly guests; rooms were spacious and immaculate, but quite affordable. After two hugely disappointing nights someplace else, I couldn't wait to get back here for the end of my trip: the heated pools, the breakfast that's so much more elaborate and satisfying than you'd expect, the staff that couldn't be nicer. If I make it back to Key West, I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but here. My only misgiving about the place is that I'm not there now.

1 Thank bktraveler76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Cheektowaga, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2007

I am a couple months late with my review because I just cant shake being on island time. So better late than never here goes.

The Ambrosia property is a wonderful place for those who need to relax. It is comfortable, convenient, casual, and very clean. Their housekeeping staff excels at what they do and are very respectful of your time and wishes.
This property epitomizes the saying island time. It is laid back.

They serve the best on property breakfast on the island and now include bacon and eggs that were made consistently day after day. They start their breakfast later and run it later than any other place because they are on island time as you will be once you arrive. And when you arrive, Claude, Ben and Tina are very accommodating. Ben's dinner recommendations were A+

I proposed on this trip and both Tina and Ben were helpful to me in getting flowers and champagne put in the room at separate times. Tina's suggestion for the flower shop was perfect! Blossoms in Paradise. They sent some of the biggest most beautiful roses we have ever seen.
We enjoyed our week stay there in December so much, that we have reserved the entire property for our guests during our wedding this year and Claude has been a huge help in planning this event.

Yes they have increased the price. They are however making major improvements to this terrific property which does justify it.
You have to also consider the money you save by getting such a hearty breakfast here. And I do mean hearty. This is not a continental breakfast, this is a full breakfast. You won't need to eat again until happy hour specials or dinner.
I believe they are going to be improving the rooms by adding hi def TV's, which will be a major improvement because frankly, that was one thing lacking in our room.
They are improving the pools at some point this year. A huge undertaking in my opinion, but by the description given to me it will add a level of elegance to the property.
They are maintaining and upgrading the property all year long so it will be evident the owner is not just looking to take money out, he is also putting money back into the property.

I think we found a new home. I guarantee you will not be disapointed in this property or its staff.
If you can't enjoy life while you are at Ambrosia, you really should not go to Key West.
I will try to add photos later.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank beerme1
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2007

We just celebrated my father-in-law's 90th B-Day here and everything was perfect! We couldn't believe how perfectly central the location was to everything and how nice the inn was. All of the staff were amazing and made this a trip to remember. The heated pools were very nice as we visited during a rare cold snap! We can't wait to go back and don't know why you would stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Clean and updated
  • Disliked — Old house does allow some sound from other guests to get through walls
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cape cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2007

We decided to take a vacation to Key West and as usual I always consult Trip Advisor. The Gardens Hotel was booked but the agent there referred me to Ambrosia. Wow. We have traveled around the world for 25 years and I can't think of a more relaxing vacation.
We arrived a bit later than anticipated and Ben parked our car for us, took our luggage to our room , and sensing that we just needed to sit down to a nice dinner called Sarabeths around the corner to reserve a table. The first night we were booked in the Sailfish Suite. The bed was extremely comfortable and the suite has a very tropical, homey feel to it - complete with the handsome red cat Pinky who slept on the porch. The next morning we moved over to the Treetop Too suite. Because of availability we got to experience two different accomodations. Javier graciously offered to carry our luggage because as he said You"re on vacation, you shouldn't have to do anything. We had been there less than 24 hours and we knew we had chosen the right place. The Treetop Too Suite has a very light decor with a huge porch complete with porch swing. It's on the 2nd floor and overlooks the pool. It is very private because of the surrounding trees. We sat on the porch every morning and enjoyed the bacon and eggs, fresh fruit and bagels that were offered in the gazebo beside the pool. Ben continued to be right on target with his restaurant suggestions every night. His level of service blew us away. Everyone truly gives 110 per cent. Tina told us where to rent bicycles, which bike path to take and to eat at Saluti on the beach. What a beautiful day. Anna our housekeeper was always smiling and kept our room spotless. The place is immaculate. Needless to say we can't wait to return, We're hooked. Don't change a thing. Thanks to all of you!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank regiscapecod
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2007

After reading the Ambrosia's good reviews on TripAdvisor I emailed the hotel on February 3 to check availability and rates for an early April stay. On February 4 I received a reply that advised what rooms would be available and the room rates. I called the hotel on February 6 to book a room. When I asked about the rooms that cost, according to Ambrosia's email, $169, $189, and $199 respectively, I was told that those were off-season rates (though the email made no mention of this), and that the real cost of the rooms would be $229, $249, and $269 respectively, that the email had the wrong prices in it, and there way no way he could honor the lower rates. Humans make mistakes such as sending the wrong price information, but good businesspeople also honor a wrong price when they make a mistake. Needless to say they are not getting our business.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank TravellingTex
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2007

The place to be in Key West if you want peace and quiet a stone's throw from the action..well appointed, nice touches everywhere (bottles of water on ice by the pool 24/7), and Ben the host, whose every recommendation turned out to be perfect for bars, dining, directions, anything...Everyone says this is Key West's best, and it's the truth.

Bob & Vikki......NY

• Stayed February 2007
1 Thank BobnVikki
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2007

If you like plantation shutters, easy breezes and tropical foliage surrounding you, this is it!

We had family come from Germany for the holidays and one of our best memories will be staying at the Ambrosia and the Ambrosia Too.

The rooms were beautifully arranged and clean. Adorable porches and hammock swings to relax in the afternoon. Two amazingly warmed pools that were irresistable. The grounds were lush and trimmed beautifully. The atmosphere here is relax and be happy!

I have to add that the breakfast wasn't just your average "continental style". It was a full course of cooked foods, bagels, toasts, fruits and juices! Eating poolside just added to the flavor!

Everything is a wonderful walk away. Sunsets on the pier, mallory square for the evening's street performances and excellent dining at the Blue Heaven were just a few of our excursions.

Thank you to all those hard workers who made our stay at Ambrosia so nice! We'll be back!

The Hillebrand Family

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family