“Charming accomodations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
Ranked #5 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2005

Stayed at the Mermaid & Alligator for 4 nights last week. It really was as charming as it was portrayed on the website. We stayed in the Bamboo room which was in a cottage away from the main house, which was very private & lovely. The room/suite was spacious & comfortable. The bathroom sink drained very slowly & although it was mentioned to the owners twice, it was never addressed. Otherwise, the attention to detail & our comfort was admirable. Egyptian cotton towels, Swiss toiletries, and a remarkably comfortable bed. Breakfast was great! Loved the hot muffins & the breakfast entrees. Proximity to Duval Street was wonderful (2 blocks away). Overall, an excellent find in Key West!

Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank njpmg

Reviewed 13 May 2005

This B&B is for QUIET, and extremely relaxed people to stay at who want to read their paper and whisper to each other in public areas. When i stayed here with my husband, I was made to feel like an intruder instead of a paying guest - paying alot I might add. I was not allowed to use my cell phone in the courtyard if there were other guests present. I was not allowed to have my mother up to my room to look at it because it was around 10pm and the innkeepers didn't want people walking through the house, but the next night there were 4 people in the living room laughing and carrying on while the inkeepers were out and that was o.k.. Key West is a FUN town and this inn is not fun. Now, I understand that it is for couples, but that's what I was, not some crazy spring breaker and I just don't feel like I should have to walk on eggshells on my vacation. Breakfast was wonderful I have to say and the rooms were beautiful as were the house and gardens. The pool is small and there is really no way of sunning yourself if you choose to do so due to the limited area of the deck and the positioning of the trees. The pool is heated as well, so it's more like a hot bath than a refreshing dip. Our housekeeper was the only staff member who made us feel welcome at this inn. I'd say that the atmosphere at the inn was stiff and certainly not relaxed as were the attiudes of the owners. Maggie, who I have read several unfavorable reviews on, was better than I expected. She got our friends a few fishing trips that they enjoyed and was nice enough. Summary: very nice inn - too much attitude.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 12 May 2005

The Mermaid & Alligator exceeded our expectations. Dean & Annie were so helpful and friendly. Great recommendations on things to do and assessing activities in line with your interests. Fantastic homemade breakfast each morning. Nice wine reception in the afternoon was a great way to meet other guests or hang out in solitude if you'd like. Gorgeous rooms and grounds. Comfortable spaces throughout house and gardens. Lovely, tasteful decorating. Bed was very comfortable. Great housekeeping services. Parking is a serious BONUS in Key West. Walking distance, if you're a walker, was perfect distance to Duval so that you are far enough away to be able to sleep at night. Felt very much like our home. We'll go back again!

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Whitehall, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2005

I recently spent 4 days at the most beautiful B & B ever! I joined my parents who have travelled all over the world and rate this amongst their top 10. The owners, Dean and Paul couldn't have been more gracious. The rooms are gorgeous and immaculate, the grounds couldn't be more beautiful or tranquil. Dean, Paul and Maggie accomodated our every wish beginning with making dinner reservations, calling taxis to arranging the best ---- wine cruise I have ever taken!! The Cuban art is wonderful
Kudos to all !!! Hi to Largo and Havana! Thank you, thank you, thank you
Martha B. - Whitehall, NY

• Stayed: March 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Marysville, MI
Reviewed 14 March 2005

Stayed here 3/8/05 and it was beyond a doubt the best B & B ever!Great hospitallity,wine in the evening,very romantic.Dean and Paul do a great job at making you feel at home
JL

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 February 2005

house is beautifully decorated in island motif and really makes you feel at home...individually-decorated range of rooms in main house and in cottages across from the beautifully landscaped yard...owner is a professional horticulturalist, I think, and it shows...
hot breakfast is great -- waffles, quiche, pancakes, etc...so is the wine, which was quite good for being free...also, there are plenty of soft drinks in the house fridge that are free....
the negatives (not real bad ones)--four-night minimum stay...noisy rooms facing truman avenue in main house, which gets a lot of motorcycle traffic...
owner is really a nice guy, but definitely on the quiet and distant side...I kind of liked it that way, but don't expect a camp leader kind of guy...
there is a concierge , maggie, who's the opposite and will arrange anything for you...she get's a cut of the action, but she's upfront about it and I didn't hear anybody complaining about her choices..I, however, like to do my own research ==it's part of the fun!

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank uncledoey
pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2005

the alligater and the mermaid is a beautiful place to stay for honeymooners! the staff was so frienldy and helpful and the breakfasts were so delicious! we highly recommed this place and we will be back . thanks so much maggie you were wonderful!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member