“Paradise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
Ranked #6 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Best ever! 12 out of 10 points. Would love to come back to Key West, if not only to stay at Mermaid & Alligator. Loved it! Thank you for looking after us so well and making our stay so wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 January 2011

We arrived late and were greeted by owners, Dean and Paul, and of course, their lovely smooth coated retrievers, Caya and Havana. They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. This B&B is immaculate . The food is wonderful with its variety of sweet and savory offerings. The coffee is always delicious. We have stayed in three different rooms at the B&B over the past 6 years and have loved every one of them. We already have our sites on another room to check out for our next stay. When we asked for help selecting great places to dine, the staff always gave very helpful suggestions. They also suggested interesting places to see and adventures to take. They set several reservations for us making it truly an easy vacation. Every day we would head out after breakfast for an adventure and return late afternoon to read, rest, or sit in the pool. Wine was provided before we went back out to walk to a neighborhood restaurant. Finally, because of the great atmosphere provided by The Mermaid and The Alligator, many people from all over the world stay there. We have met the most delightful and interesting people because of this! Thank you for a fabulous vacation experience, again!!

1  Thank EmilyWW
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was our third trip to the Keys and we've always stayed at the Mermaid and the Alligator, Dean, Paul, and the staff have a way of making you feel very special. The backyard garden is a cheerful gathering place for breakfast as well as a heavenly place to wile away a sunny afternoon. Key West can be a busy, noisy island but the M&A is a little spot of paradise.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I gotta say, that pictures just do not do this place justice. When I was looking on line here and on their website, the place looked a little "Sanford and Son" alot of "stuff" just placed randomly all over the place. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They really create an extraordinary environment here. It's one of those places where you just relax and breath easier as soon as you walk in. I stayed in the Carribean Queen Suite with a HUGE wrap around porch overlooking Truman Avenue. The room is just perfect. Huge windows, elegant lighting that creates a very relaxing feel, a bathroom with a tub that could probably seat 6. I was worried about the noise from Truman, but it never bothered me. In fact I grew to love sitting out there and watching all the comings and goings. (In fact I stayed here over New Years and was never bothered by people noise - church bell noise? yes, rooster noise? Get used to it!) I did not plan to spend so much time in my room, but many times could not bring myslef to do anything else but relax here. The furniture is really comfortable.

One of the points I guess I overlooked when I booked the room is that the rooms don't have TVs! Luckily I brought an Ipad, so with the free WIFI I was able to relax and watch a movie every night on the porch. There is a TV in the livingroom with a computer for anyone who needs it.

They serve a full home made breakfast every morning and it really was gourmet quality. Everyday they have fresh lemonade for the guests as well. At 5pm, they leave some wine and chips out. Another nice touch is the small fridge in the kitchen with water and soda gratis for the guests.

I rarely feel "at home" at a hotel or B&B, but this is one of those rare ones where I could ramble down the thick carpeted steps in my bare feet and feel right at home. They have two wonderful dogs that wander about (I am NOT a "dog person" but I fell in love with these guys!)

It's a big house with generously apportioned rooms. I did not hear a peep from any other guests. No worries here about having to deal with loud parties in the middle of the night.

This is not a sun worshippers paradise, hot tub but no pool and the backyard is more rainforest than a place to catch a tan.

Maid service was excellent. The room looked spotless whenever I'd return from my day out.

This place seems ideal for a romantic trip, honeymoon or just a place to relax and enjoy.

This one is definitely a keeper.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My husband and I travel extensively for both business and pleasure and our favorite place to stay is by far, The Mermaid and The Alligator. When we visited Key West 8 years ago we had such a wonderful experience at the M&A that when we had the opportunity to return to Key West again last week we did not think twice about calling Dean and Paul (the owners) to stay with them again. The gardens are gorgeous, the dogs are heartwarming, the breakfast is delicious, the rooms are comfortable and beautifyl and the staff are friendly and welcoming. We typically do not like to stay at B&B's b/c we like a bit more anonymity but we would jump at the chance to stay here again and again. I only wish we could make it to Key West more often! Dean, Paul and Jeri make you feel welcome and are helpful without being intrusive. For the money, this is the best deal on the island and I cannot think of anything about this B&B that is not impressive. I've read the (very few) negative reviews of this B&B and honestly would have to disagree with every point they made, with the exception of the street noise. But if you've spent time in Key West then you'll know that you will find street noise ANYWHERE on the island. It is a fairly urban location, trucks drive down small side streets, gypsy roosters are crowing at all hours... It is part of the charm of the island! If you're planning to visit Key West you cannot go wrong with choosing to stay at The Mermaid & The Alligator. I only hope that by the time we are able to stay again they won't be so popular that we can't get a reservation!! :-)

Reviewed 23 December 2010

The B & B experience can be a hit or miss at times, but at the Mermaid & Alligator, I found the highest quality of linens, decor, food, service, gardens, you name it! They thought of everything. I truly felt like I was a wealthy vacationer in a million dollar home ( which I am far from!). The kindness and ease of this place and the feeling of relaxing that I left with, I just cant put a price on. I go to the Keys yearly, and have never had such a relaxing time. I usually stay in a little hotel closer to Duval. But after this experience, I will return to this B&B from now on! I found the tranquility kindness,and generosity of the owners and staff unlike my previous experiences. I HIGHLY recommed staying here. If you appreciate quality decor, this is the place. We went the week before Xmas, and the holiday decor alone is worth the trip. I LOVED all the decorations, and felt thankful to share in this little piece of heaven!

Reviewed 22 December 2010

We found this B&B on Trip Advisor and can only agree with many of the other reviews that rate the M&A so highly.
From the moment we arrived to when we left (after 3 nights) we were made to feel welcome. The hospitality is fantastic and Paul, Dean and their team (special mention for the amazing Geri) strike the perfect balance between making you feel part of their home and sensing when you just want to do your own thing.
The rooms are individual and stunning (we had the Sun Room, but looked at several others) and the breakfasts and afternoon snacks were spot on - we loved an early evening glass of wine in the lounge.
Definitely a tranquil oasis in the heart of Key West - and only footsteps from Duvall St - perfect!