“Some of the staff need an attitude adjustment.”
Review of Equator Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Equator Resort
Washington, DC
“Some of the staff need an attitude adjustment.”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

OK place. Hopefully you probably won't spend a lot of time in your room. The othe guests are cordial and some are actually quite friendly.

I would only recommend as a second or third choice.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank moussedc

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chicago
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The latest trip for me and my partner was December 2010. The new upper sun deck was just added, it's nice, a little secluded. The pool is not really small, but you can't do laps. I just get in the hot tub, switch to the pool to cool off, and back to hot tub. We've met some nice guys, some international travelers and there's always a mix of ages and singles/couples. The staff has always been very helpful and accommodating. The rooms and bathrooms are always clean, although we did have one issue with a smelly air conditioner. Of course, the larger King rooms have correspondingly nicer bathrooms.
I will say I really enjoy the happy hour- free drinks by the pool. It's great after a long day of vacationing, to come back to the resort, relax in/by the pool and have a drink or two while deciding where to do dinner. It seems almost all the guests do this, and it's fun to meet and talk with everybody. A tip- be careful about having an enthusiastic happy hour and then having a free bottle of wine with dinner, as some restaurants offer.
Breakfasts are generally good, I like a light breakfast. The offerings won't challenge restaurant fare, but if you'd like something more you can easily find it within two blocks' walk (I'd go to Island Joe's coffee shop). There's usually one hot item (some sort of egg dish, varies daily) plus fruit, yogurt, cereal, waffles and pancakes. The coffee is also good, and I'm picky.
We really enjoy Key West, and the Equator does enhance our stays there. It's not perfect, no place is. The staff is what makes us come back again.

Room Tip: King rooms have nicer and bigger bathrooms, better for couples. Room #27 is in the main building ne...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JC_chgo
West Sussex
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have just returned from staying at the Equator Resort. I have stayed in Key West on a number of occasions in other gay properties, but after reading reviews on this site decided to try the Equator. I am so glad I did stay here. From the minute I checked in the staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The room was perfect, clean and tidy. There was a really nice atmosphere around the resort. I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank chriswebb99
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed at the Equator Resort October 5th and 6th, 2011. This is my second stay at this hotel. It has great personal service from Gary, to Jay to Billy and Rocco. Perfect location. You can park in front "for free",big plus and walk everywhere. No need to get back in your car until you checkout. Great small pool, perfect light continental breakfast and killer "Rum Runners" starting at 5pm each day, all complimentary. You will not go wrong with this gay men's hotel. You don't have to be gay to be a guest. Clothing optional sun bathing at the pool is perfect. They now have a teriffic upper deck for sun bathing. Pretty cool place and not to be missed if in Key West.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are perfect. I have seen most of them and no matter what you select you will love you...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank C S
Oakland Park, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My partner and I had such a nice stay the month prior we revisited the Equator again in Oct. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. Once again our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing at this nice resort. We got a chance to stay in a different room this time. Although the room was not as nice asour first visit, it was still a large, clean room. The various rooms we saw were all nice and people with different tastes will like each room for their own reasons. Bottom line is that its a great place to stay, nice location and one of our favorite guest houses in Key West.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My partner and I had not been back to Key West for several years and many of the guest houses we used to stay out are now gone. We decided to try out the Equator. The location was very good. Not too far from Duval, close to snorkel trips, very nice resteraunts right around the block. The place was nicely kept inside and out. You can see they have spent some time and money keeping everything clean and maintained. Our room 21 overlooked the street but was very quiet. The room was large and cheerfully decorated in light blue and white. The bathroom was very clean, tiles were not moldy as you find in some hotels. The pool area was very nice. A smaller size pool however this allowed guests to meet easier. The staff was very polite and friendly. I honestly could not find anything wrong with the place and I am very picky when it comes to my hotel rooms. We will definately stay at this hotel again next time we are in Key West!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelGuyFLA
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We have stayed at this hotel at least 5 times before. The breakfast is now continental with limited options, if you arrive later, there is literally nothing to eat. The rooms are on the dirty side. The comforter hasn't been washed in ages. The bathroom has mold in the shower and sink. The pool filter was broken and the poll dirty, the problem was not resolved.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple