“Paradise off Key West!”

Sunset Key Cottages
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Rented a beautiful 2-room garden cottage on this fantastic private island! Stayed 2 nights in August 2011 for an average of $705/night. Cottage was very clean and spacious with a living room, a small kitchen, extremely comfortable king beds, 3 full-sized bathrooms and a porch. Large fridge, safe & cable HD TV. Free WiFi. A nice touch: brought to us every morning was a breakfast basket filled with orange juice, muffins, fruit & pastries! Wonderful beach and pool areas. Facilities include an exclusive restaurant, a pool bar, a huge fitness room with lots of gear, and a spa center. 'Latitudes' restaurant serves great food on the beach with stunning view of the sunset. Valet parking: $22/night. Very fast boat service to Key West runs every half hour. Staff extremely professional. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Thank you for this review! Come back soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I have been to Key West many many times.... brought family out this time so we wanted something very special. The Sunset Key Cottages were beyond beautiful! Everyone on the island was so very nice... the cottages more than you could ask for! Very fast boat service back and forth to the center of Key West's entertainment area. We really didnt want to leave the beach and the pool. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DebSTravelAgent
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I booked this hotel mainly because of it's "uniqueness" among the other hotels in key west, I wanted to surprise my wife with a nice hotel stay for our honeymoon. My friend actually booked the stay for us, but she forgot to ask for the honeymoon package (they have a promotion until the end of september, which you get the 5th night free when you stay for 4 nights), so she only booked 4 nights stay and I called the hotel and see if I could at least get a bottle of champagne for free which is included in the package along with the chocolate covered strawberries, I didnt ask for the 5th night because the friend booked the return flight as well..... only the lady who answered the phone rudely told me it's a non-changeable, non-refundable package, and I will have to pay to get my champagne... ok Fine!
The first day I found garbage (chocolate wraps) in the basket with the snacks.... The cleaning service is really bad after the 2nd day, I'm not sure if they don't like the tips i left there or something, I see electric wire "suddenly" appear on my carpet after they cleaned our room, let alone the choclate wraps were still in the snacks basket on the day we check out...(August 12th 2011). Also on Wed August 10th 2011, a guy barged in and come up halfway of the stairs to ask us if we need service at around 9am... (check out time is 11am... ) I am not a frequent traveller, not sure if that's normal, but I havent have that experience before and I found it very rude.
The beach... it's beautiful but it's WAY TOO SMALL, you can't swim in that beach, which is next to the ferry dock as the other user saigeey pointed out, and there are lots of broken shells and rocks near the water.
The pool guy was cleaning the sides of the pool trying to remove the black mold according to him, but I was upset he has to do it at 10am where almost 15 ppl including kids were in the pool.... he did nicely told me those white powder he used is similar to chlorine which will not hurt our skin if small amount was used, but we decided to move to the beach instead.
One bright spot for this hotel is the restaurant, the Lobster bisque was the best I've ever tasted.
Overally, I paid 600USD a night and I think it's not worth it, unless you think the ferry ride and nice atmosphere is worth 600USD, hotel is beautiful, but the room is not that luxury as I expected.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Blacklist7
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thank you for your review. We're sorry you didn't enjoy everything about your stay. I did check with the Housekeeping Manager and cottages are serviced beginning around 9:30am, and staff always knocks and notifies guests of their entry into the cottage. We do offer Do Not Disturb signage if guests do not wish for their cottage to be serviced at the normal time. Sunset Key Beach is completely swimmable, so we're unsure why you thought otherwise. As with all Key West beaches, there is the possibility of coral rocks/shells. This is a function of the ecosystem around Key West and impossible to avoid. We are glad that you did enjoy Latitudes, however. I have passed along this review to all management and staff, as I do with all of our reviews. Thanks again!

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I took my wife for her birthday, along with 3 other couples for a 5 day stay at Sunset Key guest cottages. We rented 2 - 2 bedroom cottages which were fantastic. Zina, our concierge, along with the whole staff were amazing. Before the trip we made several requests to change the cottages to get closer, right area, ECT. They were incredible accommodating to each request and even called back with suggestions as cottages became available.
When you arrive to the island by boat, someone is there to greet you and makes sure you feel welcomed and special. You don' have to track someone down for your bags; it is all taken care of by the staff.

When we walked in our cottage there was a huge basket of flowers, a card, and Champaign (the champagne I requested and paid for) on the table for my wife’s birthday. It was like everyone that worked there knew it my wife’s birthday and went out of their way to tell her. 2 of the maids were headed back to Jamaica and stopped by to give her a hug and a sincere Happy Birthday.

The island itself is beautiful. Each Cottage, the pool, the beach and even the walkways are incredibly manicured and maintained. The beach is amazing by Key West standards, easily one of the best beaches there, and I have never seen it crowded. Swimming or sitting in the hot tub at night you can see millions of stars through the palm trees swaying in the wind.

Beside the service, one of the best things about the island is how secluded it is. It is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of Key West and Duval Street when you want. Of course, it is only a 15 minute ride to get back when you want the action too.

Latitudes rivals any restaurant in the keys on service ambiance and quality; and no one has a better view of the sunset. The surf and turf was my personal favorite entree, but the Wagyu’ flank steak and the Mahi were amazing too. We also found the food from the pool restaurant to be great.

Overall, it is an excellent resort destination and has quick access to a great island town. All of which made for an amazing vacation…again. We can’t wait to visit next year.

Room Tip: Tell them what you need, they will work hard to accomodate.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank acesn28

Thank you for your review! What a fantastic birthday celebration, and thank you for acknowledging staff by name. We are so happy that your stay was everything you wanted it to be and we are excited for your return!

Reviewed 26 July 2011

As Native Floridians with a family of six, we've made a habit of enjoying all of the splendor that our state has to offer when we vacation. We've been to the Keys many times, but have never experienced such an awe inspiring tropical setting which is only a five minute boat ride away from all the activities that Key West has to offer! The island is private and exclusive. We were always able to find a cushioned lounge chair at the pool or the private beach under a tiki umbrella. We were surprised to find that there was a beach attendant to bring us towels, drinks or food. Make sure to bring water shoes as the beach is quite rocky at the water's edge, but once you get in- it is spectacular! Our vacation was the perfect combination of relaxation, sight seeing and dining. Try Lattitudes! For lunch or dinner, the views are the best we've ever seen and the food and service is just as good.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank LynnGibb
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Thank you for your review. What a lovely-sounding vacation. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I were gifted a dinner at Sunset Key. We had no idea what we were in for when we took the ferry ride over. The ambiance was breath taking, our waiter was awesome, and the food exceptional. Everything was simply perfection!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. If you don't mind, could you post this is on the Latitudes' listing on TripAdvisor? Thanks!

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed at Sunset Key Cottages in early July for 4 nights. There were alot of plusses....we are a family of 5 and booked a 2 BR garden cottage...was upgraded to an oceanfront cottage which was fantastic. I thought the accommodations were spacious and comfortable. The ceiling fans on the porch were terrific. The beach was nice...a bit rocky in the water, but never had a problem with beach chairs and the sunsets were great. Ordered room service the first night and the food was really good. We thought the breakfast baskets in the morning were plentiful and the food was fresh and good.

The service in some areas was horrible. Housekeeping was among the worst we have ever seen. We had to ask to have the room serviced on one day. On another day, we again asked to have the room serviced and the cleaners who were outside of our unit told us it was not theirs to clean! When if fact it was. When they did "clean" they exchanged towels and "made beds"...that's it. We had to ask for shampoo, we had to ask someone to come and vacuum the rooms of sand, etc. Absolutely pathetic.

The concierge was pleasant but really had no clue on the services that were offered. I asked about parasailing and was told the parasailing companies close at 5, when in fact, they close at least at 6 and people were out until 7 or 730. The staff just did not seem to have a clue about what services were offered, the pricing, the times, etc. HOWEVER, Justin was the one shining star. He was always attentive, very knowledgeable, dropped everything that he was doing to help, etc....terrific, terrific job Justin!

We ate at the restaurant one night...food was good....very expensive...while our server did an ok job, there was not a "thanks for dining with us" from the server, the hostess when we walked past her, or anyone else....I thought that was odd.

We would come back to property though. I noticed that others thought the service levels were below par. If they got the service to the level of prices that they charge, this would be 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Sydney20000

Thank you for your review and for mentioning Justin by name. He is such as asset to our property. We have passed along your review to management for training and improvement purposes.