“Sunset Key, A Pretty Place”

Sunset Key Cottages
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Celebrating two graduations, one from college and one from high school, our travel agent lined up our vacation to Sunset Key. After a short taxi ride from the airport, our check in at the Key West Westin was quick and easy and we found them to be quite personable! Infact, during our stay, we regularly popped in for water, a/c and for questions (also, I enjoyed smelling their green tea signature scent which they pumped in). They seemed to welcome the questions whereas the employees at Sunset Key were on the "reserved" side so we felt more comfortable asking them.

Taking the Westin's Sunset Key ferry is no problem! It runs every thirty minutes to and fro. We found the boat employees extremely nice and helpful. They always greeted us with a smile. Even late night hours. They packaged our luggage, tied it down and we were on our way. They delivered it to our cabin promptly so you will not be without your luggage but only a few minutes.

Let me say this: Sunset Key is gorgeous! It is like living in a postcard. The grounds are amazingly tropical and supremely manicured. We stayed in a garden cottage across from the pool named "Lazy Days" which suited our needs. We found it easy to get to the dock and the pool was right there (there were two events which ran into the late night while we were there. The noise bothered my husband but I was okay). Also, one night, someone left the pool bar TV on and that did bother me. Nice light colors throughout with pops of color on the doors and some bathroom tiles (which I loved). We were surprised to find individual air conditioners/heating units in all rooms and were pretty noisy at times. I was really disappointed as I am a light sleeper at times. The pillows were comfortable but the comforter and sheets seemed to slip around, seemed short-sheeted. The bathrooms were excellent!

If you get a chance, take a stroll around this beautiful island. There are some fine private homes to the rear but mainly for the plants. And there are no cars, I really enjoyed that.

We went to Santiago's Bodega for dinner twice and also to Blue Heaven twice. The food we found in Key West was very good, at least where we ended up. We decided to eat at Latitudes one night as one of the boat employees told us it was five-star. We arranged to sit inside as the weather had been kinda iffy and a storm did come up so we were happy to be inside. It struck us that our server was not out to make us that happy, however, was super sweet to the couples she was serving. We could not figure this out. The four of us were well-dressed and kind to her. We were a family celebrating graduations and enjoying ourselves. We have eaten in Europe, New Orleans, Washington, DC and our food was okay. I wouldn't classify this as a five-star and the service was pretty bad. Our server only poured our wine once and we bought two bottles of wine! We gave her 15% but didn't want to. I would have gone back to Santiago's for sure.

The beach was typically rocky as are most Key West beaches. If you have sensitive feet, just bring some water shoes. I noticed that some who brought flip flops lost them. I actually found a spot with less rocks near the point to enter the water. I loved the beach watching the boat traffic and birds.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank nancy4300
WestinKW, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from our second visit on Sunset Key. We stayed 5 nights in a 2 bedroom pool view cottage. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful. Staff attentive and the cottages in great condition. The meals at Latitudes were delicious. In my opinion, Latitudes Restaurant has the best view in Key West. It is my favorite waterfront dining restaurant in Key West and possibly Florida. My only negative comments would be the air conditioning unit runs a little loud at night and the pool was very warm. These two issues were not a big deal to me, but I wanted to share.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Lazy Days two bedroom cottage with a pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Judi W
WestinKW, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

First off, this property is beautiful. It's a one of a kind property whose beauty and peacefulness is unmatched. The only issue is that they're the "only game in town" and their service reflects this.

You'd be lucky to get someone on the phone to order food in less than 10 minutes and three connections. The desk staff is hit or miss. Had an awesome person help me, and also had a guy who wouldn't even pick up his head to answer a question. They lost a package I had left for me and the checkin process is a debacle.

I noticed there don't seem to be any Standard Operating Protocol. I had to move rooms and check in 2 times and the procedure was different both times . . . Both inefficient.

Anyhow, for the cost of the cottages I would have expected much better service. I loved the property but was so disappointed in the service. I'll be back but my expectations will be much lower . . .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ben B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort and providing you with the experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sunset Key in May in a 3 bedroom pool view cottage. The grounds of the hotel are stunning. The entire island is perfectly maintained and the cottages are in great condition. Even in just a "pool view" room, we still had beautiful views of the greenery and were in a great location.

The staff is incredibly friendly and kind. The service was lovely!

We visited a few other hotels while there (including Marquesa, Ocean Key and Southernmost) and all paled in comparison to Sunset Key. The property is beautiful and sprawling. The pool is clean and nice, and the private beach area with cabanas and padded chairs was great. The beach is a little rocky, but the beach at sunset key is still better than any of the others we saw.

The location is another great thing. The property provides some respite from the craziness of Key West, while still being conveniently located to the attractions. The shuttle service was super easy. The shuttles run every 15 minutes and were always on time. They even run late into the night, which is great if you want to spend a night on the town.

Overall, Sunset Key strikes the perfect balance between beautiful ambiance, impeccable service, and fun. This is the place to stay in Key West.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank AMG522

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Well, I wish I could keep it just for myself and my family! It is to me the perfect place! Beautifully maintained, wonderful food, gorgeousness surroundings, comfortable beds and accommodations... But also only 3 minutes from all the action you could possibly want!!! Love it!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank evita1208

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I spent three nights on Sunset Key. The boat ride over was always a relaxing experience
The service was perfect. They cater to all my needs. The cottage was perfect. Location is walking distance from Duvall Street. Of course the price was a consideration it's not an inexpensive stay but it's well worth it

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank jleifer

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This property is very beautiful. The island is private and extremely quiet. We loved the cute little cottages.

Make sure to get a cottage as close to the water as possible.

Waiting for the ferry to get back to mainland can be a bit frustrating at times.

The price was a little steep. We used Amex platinum service to book. This got us a few perks.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple