“Andrews Inn and Garden Cottages, Paradice Found”

Andrews Inn and Garden Cottages
Ranked #21 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 July 2008

There is not a finer accomodation in Key West! Tom, Nancy and Jorge operate a 5 star paradice for a 1 star price. My 5 days there were the most relaxing, most entertaining that my wife and I have ever spent for any price. Leave your "stress bagage" at the front gate, let your hair down and open your heart and soul so as to be surrounded by the goodness, friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff..........and become one of the family!! Special cudowes to Jorge and Blanche for their suggestions for daily and nightly fun, food,& adventure and showing me how to Live Life!!
PS: The Flying Monkey Saloon : best people watching on Duval. If you don't see it there,GOD ain't created it yet! Bar None Best nightly entertainment : Mallory Pier, Best Waterin Hole : Green Parrot, Easiest way to get around : rent a bike, Best dive/snorkel site : Fort Jefferson

3  Thank TexasGreek

Reviewed 22 July 2008

Recently, my boyfriend and I took a trip to Key West just to get away for a few days. We booked the Andrews Inn based on reviews from TripAdvisor, so we thought we were in for a good experience. Overall, I do not agree with many of the responses on this bed and breakfast and there are some things I wish I would have known prior to booking my stay...

Upon arrival, we were expected to pay for our total room up front which I have never been asked to do before (I travel 3-4 times per year), but I complied. Also regarding the financial aspect, we were expected to tip the maid who came in every day and made our bed. I think it would have been nice to have known this expectation prior to our arrival. I absolutely agree on tipping for good service, but this should have been mentioned up front as it is not customary to have mandatory tipping .

I had three major concerns with our overall stay. First of all, we had ants in our bathroom (we stayed in Malagna). It was really disgusting and not what I expect when I spend $175 a night. Very poor extermination regarding bugs. Second, whenever I would go to use my hair dryer, I blew a fuse and we lost complete power in the room (including air conditioning). All three times that I used the hair dryer, I blew a fuse which was really annoying.

Thirdly, (and this is the big one..) we found a SCORPION IN OUR BATHROOM. Absolutely unacceptable. Once again, for the money being spent on the room, we shouldn't have to deal with ants and scorpions in the bathroom. When we told the innkeepers about this problem, we were told that "this is a normal problem in Key West.." and he sees atleast 3 or 4 scorpions a week. Ok, fine.. but I do not want to see them where I sleep. Once again, if extermination was properly taken care of, this would not be a problem. My boyfriend took pictures of it, so for anyone who does not believe me or wants to see them, you can contact me and I am willing to send them/answer any questions you may have.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2008

We just returned from our trip to the Keys. Our stay at the Andrews Inn was truely wonderful. We stayed in the Roma room and the Pamplona room. Both of these rooms were tastfully decorated and roomy, considering both rooms had a king bed. The continental breakfast was good and balanced, with ample items.

The lush tropical foliage surrounding the grounds and the pool made relaxing by the pool wonderful.

Jorge and Tom were the exceptional host. They booked all of our excrusions and was very helpful with dinner reservations.

The afternoon happy hour was excellent, although the Bud Light could have been a little colder.

Considering the location, price, and all the ammenities, the Andrews Inn is the perfect spot to vacation in the Keys. Never again will I search for accomidations in the Keys. The Andrews Inn will ALWAYS be our choice of lodging.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2008

My husband & I (mid-30's) haven't had a vacation for just us in 5 years. Since we have never been to Key West, I read close to all the reviews for the 75 B & B's & Inn's and most hotels located on the island. Andrews Inn was the best decision we made!!! The location was perfect. It's located right off Duval St. but, tucked away so it's like your own secret paradise. We never heard any people on Duval St., no matter what time. We had a couple of late nights ourselves and still heard nothing! My husband & I loved the fact that we could shop, eat, catch the Trolly, and walk to the busy end of Duval St. at night within 1-10 mins. Our room (Madrid) was very clean, spacious, AC was always nice & cool, and a great spot by the pool with table & chairs right outside our door for breakfast (also perfect) and some quiet time - loved it! The pool itself was impeccably clean with relaxing warm water - never crowded. We only saw 2-4 people enjoying it at a time. The staff was terrific!!! My morning conversations over coffee were very informative. I got to learn a lot about the island (history, origins of foods, etc.) and asked frequently if we needed anything...always felt comfortable & welcome - like home. Definitely take advantage of the locals' knowledge, it's the best way to learn about the island. Also, take the time to go on a sunset cruise (only 2 hours), it's absolutely breathtaking!!! My husband & I are already trying to plan another trip back to Key West and Andrews Inn!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skelly34
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We just returned from one of the most relaxing vacations we have had in 10 years of travel. My husband and I stayed in the Roma room at the Andrews Inn for four nights and really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was really friendly and helpful, making dinner reservations for us and making referrals for fun places to go in Key West. We rented bkes from the inn and they were perfect. We had been to Key West before and were looking for a place to stay the felt like the real Key West, not a touristy fake disney style representation of it. We found it. We are not hand out at the hotel kind of people and we totally did on this trip!

The location was perfect, close enough to Duvall to be near the action, but far enough away from the bars to be quiet. We walked or rode our bikes every day and night and felt completely safe, even after midnight.

Happy hour every day was lovely, the breakfast looked fab ( we chose to eat elsewhere on our way to other activities, but we did enjoy juice and coffee). The compound was really lovely with lots of beautiful plants, very well decorated front porches and of course lots of cats! The pool was very small, but it was perfect for our needs ( who is going to be doing laps after sailing for 6 hours?). The room was comfortable and clean with a large king size bed, and beautiful antique armoire, flat screen and writing desk. The bathroom was small, but big enough for our needs.

The only thing that made it less than perfect was the mattress on the bed was very soft and with a bad back, was uncomfortable and the hot water is not really hot, but it was 90 degrees outside! Who needs a scalding shower? I didn't mention it to anyone, but I know if I had, it would have been handled immediately!

We truly enjoyed Jorge and the rest of the owners as well as the entertaining staff (who brought us mangoes!). We checked out at 11am but our flight didn't leave until 5:30, they wer kind enough to let us keep our bikes and swim until we left for the airport. That, my friend is customer service that you no longer find anywhere any more! Really a lovely place to hang out and venture out from in fabulous Key West. We will recommed the Andrews Inn to all of our friends and also will return on our next stay in Key West!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank momswann
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Couldn't be happier with our stay at the Andrews Inn! Our room (Roma) was clean, comfy and homey with a nice big, high bed, nice size L-shaped bathroom and porch with two chairs to read and relax on. The breakfasts were great, by the pool with everything you would want including mimosas! And the happy hours was like having cocktails at home except here it was around and in the pool with good friends from all over the country. We were having great conversations with people from mid-state California and St. Louis and we are from New Jersey. So we were saying we were representing the whole USA. We rented bikes that were available right at our door and saw everything in Key West! What a great ride to the National Park and beach there and went swimming too. Andrews Inn is located perfectly for access to everything in Key West and we cannot say enough about the staff. Tom and Jorge are the best! The friendliest and most informative people you ever want to talk to for places to see (Aquarium and Mallory Square Sunset Performers) and eat (Louies Backyard and Half Shell) and just great conversation in general. If you want to be away from it all but close to everything and expect the best stay in Key West, stay at the Andrews Inn! You will love it. We have great memories and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AsburyJersey
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My husband and I recently stayed in the "mango cottage" @ Andrews Inn and our friend stayed in the "Paris" room. We enjoyed our stay very much. Upon arrival we were greeted in a genuine and friendly manner by Jorge, the inns concierge. We were made to feel welcome right from the start. Our cottage was ready early and they allowed us to have early check-in which was greatly appreciated. The mango cottage was clean and nicely appointed with a small "wet bar" / kitchenette area with a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and small sink. The unit has a very nice bathroom with a 2 person shower, and nice sized closet and bureau. There is a clock radio/CD player and a small t.v. with a built in DVD player in it. Outside is a small, private fenced in deck area and a 2 person hot-tub. The only negatives about the room are there is minimal ventilation; there are operable windows in the bathroom only and no screens in the windows so they cannot be left open (which is not a good idea anyway in Key West, esp. @ night). We opened the b/room windows everyday after our showers to vent the steam out of the room, but then we had to make a special mental note to close and lock them again. The air conditioner does have a "outside air only" feature but we found this would not adequately air out the room. The mango cottage is not a free standing unit. It is actually on one side of the rear of a large "eyebrow" house; we were not bothered by this as the unit was very private and most of the time it was very quiet. Our friend stayed in the Paris room and this also seemed like a nicely kept, clean room, albeit a bit small. It overlooks the pool and is accessed by a flight of approx. 12 stairs. The inn itself is quite nice, clean and well maintained. There is some noise at night I was told by our friend staying in "Paris", but this was mostly due to other people coming and going from another rental property in the alley and from 2 private residences that are very close to the inn. The alley leading to the main entrance to Andrews Inn is short but there are several properties right next to the inn which are in sad need of repairs and need to clean up their clutter; it is a shame that the appearance of these houses detracts from the charm of the inn a bit. Once inside the fence and compound of Andrews Inn you can't see these properties, and these neighbors seem to be quiet. They serve a nice continental style breakfast in the mornings with champagne mimosas if desired. The only dining area is around the pool courtyard as there is no interior "common room". Overall this is a very nice place to stay in Key West. It has character and that "Key West feel" ................ not a generic cookie-cutter room. Taking everything into consideration ........... location 1/2 block off Duval yet fairly quite, Key West charm, nice pool, nicely kept grounds, clean rooms with comfortable beds, nice continental bkfst., evening cocktail hour, friendly staff and owner, this is a great place. If you are in reasonably good health and take proper shoes you can even walk to the nicest beach in town (Ft. Zachory Taylor State Park) which is approx. 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile away and can also easily stroll from one end of Duval to the other. A car in Key West is basically a big headache unless you have driven there or want to see some of the other keys.

Stayed: March 2008