“Everything we were looking for!”

Andrews Inn and Garden Cottages
Ranked #24 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I enjoy planning trips, and since this was our honeymoon I spent literally hours researching places to stay in Key West. And while many of the KW inns do sound nice, the Andrews Inn was definitely the perfect place for us! We wanted the privacy of our own place while we were there, but we also wanted to experience the B&B feel that so many of the inns have in KW, and the Andrews Inn was ideal. We stayed in the Mango Hideaway (since the Treetop was booked), and we called it the Honeymoon Hideaway! We had our privacy, but we could also have breakfast and drinks by the pool at the inn. We also wanted a jacuzzi, and it made our stay absolutely perfect too! After long days of sightseeing, coming back to that was great! (And it was very romantic along with the two-person shower!) The location was spot-on too. We were within perfect walking distance to everything, yet felt "tucked away" and like locals. Sure, the parking can be an issue, but once you're parked you won't have to move your car again. Jorge was very nice and helpful, and so were the other employees we encountered. And after our stay in Key West we then went on a cruise, and while we enjoyed it too we really wished we would have just put the money into a longer stay at the Andrews Inn. We loved it and KW that much! We can't wait to get back sometime and plan on trying the Treetop the next time! (Oh, how I wish I were there right now!)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ACoolJeweledMoon

Reviewed 23 January 2009

My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in Key West by staying 3 nights in the Andrew's Inn "Tree House". We've stayed in other places in Key West over the years, but this is by far the best of the best of the Duval Street B&Bs. The Tree House was exceptionally clean and spacious and we enjoyed the privacy of the outdoor deck. In addition, compared to some of the snotty innkeepers we've encountered in Key West in the past, the Andrew's Inn staff, as well as Tom the owner, were both helpful and courteous. The Tree House is located on the top floor of another cottage called the "Eyebrow House", which is on Olivia St. on the opposite side of Duval from the Andrew's Inn office. The only drawback to this cottage is the parking, which is all on-street, but we found a spot easily upon arrival and since we didn't plan on driving anywhere during our stay, this was not a problem. Having read the review of the person who was robbed while staying in an Andrew's Inn cottage, I can only mention that our cottage had an in-room safe. Maybe this is a new amenity so I thought I would mention it here. The neighborhood in this area is about like all of the neighborhoods that flank Duval Street. We were out and about until quite late every night - usually until after midnight, and we did not feel uncomfortable at all.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2009

As a resident of Key West I constantly have friends and family down for visits. I used to spend hours trying to find the right place for them until I started sending them to Andrews Inn. It has the best of everything.

The location is a half block off Duval Street but feels like you are in the middle of of lush tropical forest (no street noise at all). It is by all the attractions including the Hemingway house, which is next door (look for the 6 toed Hemingway cats on their property).

The rooms are fabulous. I have now seen most of them and each one is beutiful and unique. This includes their off-site cottages which are bigger and great when I have large groups in town.

The property as I said is beautiful and lush. The pool is not very big which makes it feel like it is exclusivly yours. They serve a great complimentary breakfast each morning and a free cocktail hour in the afternoon.

The best thing about this property is the staff. Even though I consider myself an expert on Key West, my guests tell me how George or Tom set them up with great things to do on and off the island that I didn't even know about. And unlike a lot of the properties my guests have stayed at, the Andrews Inn staff is always kind, curteous and extreemly helpful.

The only problem I have is that they book up fast and are somtimes sold out, so try to book early.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank ljcdive
Reviewed 5 November 2008

My husband I and our dog (a great dane) stayed here for Fantasy Fest 2008. We had a great time and enjoyed the property. Mango hideaway is actually located on Center st. so you have to walk to the Breakfast and Happy hour at the main inn across Duval. But I don't mind the walk. The pet fee was only $10 a night which is great and of course we would have loved to had a bigger place, but for our budget it was great. We loved the outdoor patio, loved eating outside under the palm trees. Really wish the jacuzzi had not been broken, that kinda sucked. But it rained alot when we went so we wouldn't have gotten in anyways. The shower in this place is great, it's huge. But the fridge is small so if you like to drink alot of beer etc. and have food cold, do bring a cooler to put the drinks in. Only get ice and water from the CVS down the street. We got some from the deli&grocery store on duval and it was very expensive. Also bring a little fan cause it will help with the circulation of air in your room, if you get hot easily; ya know a hair dryer in the bathroom gets very hot. The owner's are great and loved the homemade butter spreads at breakfast, yummy. Loved hanging at happy hour with our dog and talking to all the other guests and their dogs. The inn is really tucked away so look hard when driving in. When you are on Truman and pass Duval take a right onto a little gravel road and look to the end of this road pass the little houses and you will see the entrance to the inn. Yeah I passed it the first try. This place is on the quieter part of Duval which is nice but you do have to walk to get to the main action, I love to walk so I don't mind. Also it is a pretty nice area, alot of other rentals right there and only a couple of run down homes around. This is every where in Key west though, I have stayed on Center st. three times now and have never felt unsafe. Also if you have a dog, walk down Center st. to the church to go to the bathroom. Not St. Mary's that is on Truman. St. Peter's Episcopal Church is on Center st. and has grass in their parking lot. There is not much grass in Key West. Had a great time staying here and would do it again, thanks to the inn for just a great time.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My family and I stayed at the Sailor House on Center Street, a block from the main B&B. It was spacious, exceptionally clean, and its private back yard and two balconies had plenty of space if someone wanted some quiet time. The jacuzzi in the backyard was thouroughly enjoyed by everyone.

There were two private bedrooms, each with a balcony, and a pull-out sofa in the large living room. It had a fully equipped kitchen, microwave, and plenty of silverware, pots, glassware, and utensils.

I would mention to anyone considering this particular unit that it did have a steep open staircase, so I would caution anyone with small children. There is no railing (a nautical rope, but more decorative than functional), so it might be rough for a handicapped person as well.

My only drawback was the distance from the main inn- we needed some extra linen, and it was a block's walk to get them.

But all in all, we enjoyed this propery and the location (one block from Duval) was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Just got back last night and already missing Key West! We were there July 28- Aug 01 2008. This was me and my boyfriends first trip to Key West together and we will never forget it. We took the Key West Express over from Ft. Myers which was a pretty easy way to travel - having a car in Key west is more of a hassle than anything else. We arrived a little early for check in so Jorge took our bags for us and off we went to start exploring. It is a little hot this time of year (we are from Sarasota, FL and we still thought it was hot) but it's not too crowded and the rates are lower so it's a good trade off. When we arrived back to Andrews Inn around 3 - our bags were already in our room and Jorge escorted us to our location, The Treetop. It's across Duval from the main house - both are awesome locations on the quieter end of Duval but close to everything. Our room was great - comfortable and clean. The private deck was a huge bonus. I have read many reviews complaining of bugs....for the record we didn't see any but being from FLA, I know no matter how clean the place is, you might see a bug now and then. If you don't want to ever see a bug, I wouldn't suggest going to a sub-tropical location for vacation. Maybe try Alaska or something.

Staff was very friendly and all the people we met were very nice. Only small problem is the pool is itty-bitty. I'm talking not much bigger than a large Jacuzzi so if you are planning on sitting poolside for your whole vacation you might prefer a larger resort. The small pool didn't bother us since we were out playing on the Island the whole time.

There is a little Grocery store right across the way - we made the mistake of stocking up on beer and snacks there that were way overpriced then realized there was a CVS one block behind us with better selection and much better prices - just fyi.

We ate and drank at great places all week - Blue Heavan for breakfast was awesome, Rum Barrell on Front street has the best Nachos ever and don't miss smaller local bars off the main drag. We took the trolley tour the first day and it was so helpful to learn the area and see where to revisit. You can get on and off all day and it drops you off about a block from the hotel.

We walked EVERYWHERE - it's alot of walking but it makes up a little for all those frozen drinks and nachos :-)

My boyfriend and I agree that we both had the best vacation every and even brought home a new addition, our little Maltipoo who we named Duval. There is a little dog store called Dogs on Duval down the street with the most adorable puppies - stay away or you might be tempted! We couldn't leave with out him, we just fell in love.
So for everyone who want to go have a great time with friendly people in a clean, central location - the Andrews Inn is for you. If you are a complainer who wants a fancy chain resort, there are plently to pick from but you might miss out on some of the great local flavor of the Island. Have Fun!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tomandnikki
Reviewed 30 July 2008

There is not a finer accomodation in Key West! Tom, Nancy and Jorge operate a 5 star paradice for a 1 star price. My 5 days there were the most relaxing, most entertaining that my wife and I have ever spent for any price. Leave your "stress bagage" at the front gate, let your hair down and open your heart and soul so as to be surrounded by the goodness, friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff..........and become one of the family!! Special cudowes to Jorge and Blanche for their suggestions for daily and nightly fun, food,& adventure and showing me how to Live Life!!
PS: The Flying Monkey Saloon : best people watching on Duval. If you don't see it there,GOD ain't created it yet! Bar None Best nightly entertainment : Mallory Pier, Best Waterin Hole : Green Parrot, Easiest way to get around : rent a bike, Best dive/snorkel site : Fort Jefferson

3  Thank TexasGreek