“Could Not Ask For A Better Place To Stay”

Andrews Inn and Garden Cottages
Ranked #24 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Could Not Ask For A Better Place To Stay”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We arrived at Andrews Inn on the 4th July, although it was late the room keys were waiting where we were told they would be which was a great relief.

The Room was beautiful and there was Champagnie waiting for us which was a really nice touch.

The next morning after breakfast by the pool we saw the manager (Jorge) who was extremely happy and could not be anymore helpful, recommending things to do and places to see.

The Location was spot on, at the south end of Duval St, no noice from the main st and very tranquil. It was a nice walk down to the other end where the majority of restaurants and Bars were so you worked up a good appetite.

We would both highly recommend this place to anyone, we will defiantly be coming back here in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pavitt403

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Andrews Inn, and would highly recommend it for either couples or families. The staff all made us feel like family and couldn't do enough for us - George is wonderful!! Great recommendations for restaurants and things to do. Very relaxing; "happy hour" is a nice touch. The other guests quickly became friends around the pool at breakfast and happy hour. Nice accommodations, very comfortable. If you're looking for the Key West experience (rather than being just another face at a large hotel), this is it! Great location right off of Duval St. We'll definitely be back. Once caveat - the pool is small, so it isn't intended for lap swimming. Also, there are several cats on the premises, so anyone who is highly allergic may need to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Cant wait to go back. Hard to find fault with anything. The staff was so gracious. Our room overlooked Hemingways swimming pool, you cant get more Key West than that. I felt like I was in the movie 'Rear Window' where in the courtyard you see all the comings and goings of the guests and Tom, the owner is Jimmy Stewart. For location, value, laid back vibe you cant beat it. I lost an earring in the room and they just sent it to me!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I spent 5 nights at Andrews in this May and would like to share a few things. I've stayed in several other B&B's in Old Town and give Andrews Inn a high rank. Nothing was bad about the place, which can't be said about many B&B's in Key West.
Here's why I give it 4 stars:

The place was clean, but I didn't get that full room service like in a hotel, where they spend a long time cleaning your room and bathroom. I could tell it was a quick cleaning/ bed making, and they probably do a full cleaning between guests.

The location was good, as you could only hear the faint rumble of the loud Harleys on Duval while sitting around the pool. It is just across the street from the recently upgraded Orchid Key Inn, though there are a few old dumpy places nearby.
My room was off by itself (Roma room) and the only noise issue was when a silly rooster showed up on the 4th morning at 5:30. I had hoped the many cats would be chasing the roosters away, but no such luck. The location meant it wasn't right near a lot of the action spots (snorkeling boats, happy hour bars, beaches), which meant long walks to both ends of Duval. I rented a bike at the inn for just $8 day and found that I rode it to get to almost everyplace I was going. I could get to the Bight in about 7 minutes and getting around on a bike is much better, as you get a nice breeze and avoid the sidewalk-filling crowds.
I must have got lucky as I pulled into the only available parking space and the one day I left for a drive it was available when I returned. This would have been a difficult neighborhood to find free parking, so I would recommend dropping the car off and just using a bicycle. There are 2 entrances and I used the one off of Truman most of the time. There is less traffic there than on Duval.

The room was nice, with a HUGE king sized bed. It probably could have been a queen and then maybe there would be room for an arm chair, which I prefer to watch tv in. But for a couple a king bed in Key West could be a real treat! There was no telephone in the room, though there was a free community phone outside by the pool.
The bathroom was a little small and the shower was normal sized, but it had little lighting. The hot water took a long time to heat up and the towels were noticeably scratchy, but they gave me plenty of them. There was also no hair drier in the room, though i bet they could have brought me one if I'd needed it.
I had breakfast there several times, which saved me a bit of money, and I liked the choices of pastries, breads, fruits etc. There was also a happy hour with snacks available, but I was usually enjoying the 1/2 price appetizers at Alonzo's each evening!

The service I rate high, as they were helpful without being intrusive and were able to quickly book a Sebago trip for me when I had little time to do it. They give guests a guide listing their favorite restaurants and price ranges. I knew where I was going most of the time, but they did help me by recommending Fausto's for shopping for a few groceries.

I saw there's a ranking for "sleep quality" but must disclose that I'm a light sleeper, especially when traveling. I found the bed and pillow a bit lumpy for my preferences and the overhead AC was a little too noisy. But there wasn't any outside noise until a rooster showed up on the 4th morning at 5:30 am. This can happen anywhere, from what I've been told, so I felt I was lucky to get the other days free from crowing pests!

I give Andrews Inn 5 stars in value, as I have seen what the price gets at other B&B's - more noise, small rooms, no parking, expensive bike rentals, etc. Being able to get a big, king room this close to Duval and have a full breakfast, happy hour, dipping pool, outdoor shower (great on hot afternoons), complimentary towels, coolers beach mats, etc.
It was all those nice little extras that Andrews Inn does really well, things that you wouldn't get at a big, expensive hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Orion_240
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Was fortunate to get a room here - (specifically the Mango Hideaway) due to the efforts of Carl from Key West Vacations. I loved it , private, coffee maker, fridge and best of all a hot tub! I started and ended every day with a dip in the tub, in the morning with coffee and ended the day with a cocktail in the hot tub. Perfect attention to all details and staff immediately responded to my concern re a burnout light bulb( and when I locked mysef out of my room at 6AM). The suites are down an alley and around the block from the main building, and if you want more interaction with guests you may want to stay at the main house.For me it was everything I wanted in a holiday!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
rtap
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My husband was very leary about a bed and breakfast. He loved it here. It is in a great location. The service is great. The rooms are clean. The pool is small but the inn is not big so there are not a bunch of people all trying to get in at once. Between the free breakfast and the happy hour we saved a lot of money. Parking was not an issue for us but it could be if a lot of the other customers have cars. There are 6 rooms and 3 parking spots. Very close to everything. We walked from one end of Duval street to the other. This was our first time staying in Key West and we would stay here next time. It is a hidden gem.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rtap
Hillsdale, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2010

What a bargain! A really great find in the heart of Old Town. Easy walking to most anything you could want or need. The entire staff was very friendly, helpful, and always willing to suggest things to do. Tom took care of a special request when we arrived, and we can't thank him enough for that! Breakfast was very good. Happy hour was a great time to meet other guests while enjoying a cold beverage (or four!!!) The entire atmosphere was friendly, inviting and very comfortable. The pool is small, but clean & warm. We stayed in the Venezia room and we were concerned at first with the lack of privacy. That was never a problem. We could sit on the shared deck & read and never felt like we were intruded upon.

Some reviews complained about being in a "crack" neighborhood...it is not! It is at the end of a shared lane. Some of the neighboring houses may need paint..no fault of the Inn. There may be someones trash in the street waiting for trash day...no fault of the Inn. Someone complained of bugs in the room....we had a mosquito!!!! It is the tropics.....there are bugs!!!! The many chickens & roosters around the island take care of a major part of the insects, but some do manage to get past them! Also, make sure you like cats before you book a stay. I thought the cats were cool.

If you prefer to dress in a suit & tie, If you prefer an evening gown & high heels, Andrews Inn is probably not for you. You should spend three times the money at a high-priced resort with 1/3 the value & a fitness room! Who spends vacation in a gym anyway??? Get a grip! Relax!! If you want to live by the Key West credo of "Come as You Are", Andrews inn it the place. We will be back again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple