“Place To Stay On The Island”
Review of Smallest Bar Inn

Smallest Bar Inn
Ranked #71 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I picked this place because from what I saw on their website looked tropical and the right place. I use to live in key west so I know what the island is about and how duval street is at night. The best thing about this being on duval you save on taxi's which is huge for saving money and no one needs to worry about drinking or driving. I checked in at the worlds smallest bar where Josh helped me with my keys and to get to my room. The bar itself makes very strong drinks which is great to get your night started to do the duval crawl. I got to my room which was studio one and it was awesome! It was perfect for my party weekend everything I needed in there. The bed was great and the room got really cold with their ac unit. The bathroom was fine and the kitchen was enough room for what I needed. It was clean and comfortable especially after a long day in key west or a long night. Perfect place to crash especially if your young you'll love it. Its not a stuck up 5 star place its more like an island getaway which is what you should come for to key west. You have your own little porch to relax out on which is nice because it was shady back there and wasn't to hot at all. The place itself is awesome, the other reviews must of been some stuck up pricks to say all of that negative stuff. They need to understand their staying in a tropical place they might see an iguana or something outside their not use to but it doesn't make this place dirty it makes it worth staying. Its an Island time getaway. I highly recommend it if your planning to get your party on in key west. Its in the middle of key west and you can walk to every place you need to go which is great if your on vacation to not gain any weight. It's the place to be for sure.

Room Tip: Studio one is the first floor but Studio 3 has a huge secret porch and its the same price but on the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank melanie c

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed at the inn last week. After reading reviews on here I was skeptical at first, but our stay and experience was great at the inn. Check in is very laid back. Got our keys walked into the studio 3, and was very impressed. Checked for bed bugs, there were zero. Finally saw a cockroach the day we were leaving, but it was no biggie. There was a pet cat that was a great companion since we had to leave our dog at home, the cat was lovable. Only problem was that the maid(we guess the cats mother) basically yelled at us bc we gave the cat a plateful of water, ease up maid. We had only good intentions. I will most def stay at this inn again and 100 percent recommend it to others.. 100 percent enjoyed our stay in key west and at the old customs house inn...can't beat the location.. 30 feet from sloppy joes and hogs breath... Thank you old customs house inn.

Room Tip: Studio 3 is a nice cozy room.. Just don't expect 5 star service. If ur complaining about this in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Southtown L
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This place is a place to crash. It isn't terribly filthy, but it isn't clean. They do have roaches. I didn't see bedbugs. The shower is the size of a phone booth. Bring your own shampoo. If you're looking for a nice hotel experience, don't stay here

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Jkuf
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is truly the worst hotel i have ever stayed at on my life. I didn't want to believe the reviews, and gave it a whirl but guess what?! All the bad reviews were correct! Bed bugs scouring the counters and walls, the maid comes whether you want her to or not, and doesn't even bother to flush when she number two's in your toilet; must be the language barrier. Missing food, missing clothes, no hot water, worst excuse for a mattress ever, and I had to fuss to even get fresh linens. Thats right folks, they were simply rolling my dirty towels back up and putting them on the shelf again, who knows if I was even the first to dirty them up. So, in summation, if you want that south of the border, third world experience with out ever leaving south Florida, this is your place. Otherwise, you'd be better off staying at the local camp ground!

• Stayed: March 2014
7  Thank Worsthotel1seriously
customshouse, Owner at Smallest Bar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

if you were having a third world experience then it is without a doubt that you had it somewhere OTHER than this establishment . Perhaps your impression of our Guest House was for some unmentionable reason skewed horribly.
It appears that the recent reviews are an attempt by either an unhappy individual or other properties to make us look bad. Its a shame that these reviews are NOT investigated for authenticity of content.
Anyone wishing to have a look at our facility should feel free to call us rather than believe the reviews posted here. Furthermore to our possible future guests: Please accept our apologies for the inaccuracy's that are allowed to be posted here

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. I am not a fancy traveler and have stayed in many motels in my time. This again, is THE WORST. Where do I begin....
1- There is no front desk nor is there anyone on the property to assist you. Yes, you pick up the key from the bartender at the bar next door, but when you check out, its closed. If you have a problem, no one around.
2- The place is filthy: towels looked like they were stolen from other hotels, none of them matched, had stains on them as well as the sheets, hairs on things. The shower was gross, the faucet was broken, and again, no one to complain to.
3- We turned the air on and sparks started shooting out of the wall and it smelled like someone put a dead fish in the vent. We had to sleep with the air off it was so bad.
4- When we finally laid down to sleep, we mine as well be sleeping on the floor Hog's Breath in front of the band; it was SO LOUD that's what it felt like. Unless you are a homeless person or a drunk college student coming in at 3AM, this place is almost uninhabitable. We finally were able to get a hold of a rude manager to complain about everything and he said we were threatening him! They were extremely rude, but then did offer us a 6% refund (yes, 6%!). Basically a slap in the face. Unless you sleep under a viaduct, you will hate this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank wantingwarmer

this is what a person writes when they expect a to stay for free and it doesn't happen. Future guests should look at the honest, candid reviews posted by travelers!!!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I must say, the location was hard to beat. Cute little tropical path leading back to the rooms. I've read some other comments regarding noise; however did not find this to be an issue. Simple and clean decor, and again, location was fabulous. I have already booked my next stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erin W
customshouse, Manager at Smallest Bar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

thank you very much for your stay!!!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to get a last minute reservation here for valentines day weekend. The room was beautiful and had a full kitchen with fridge. It is located in the heart of Duval street. At a most affordable price. There is no real check in office but getting your key at "the world smallest bar" was no problem at all. There is no parking at the hotel but you can park less then a block away for a reasonable price. We stayed in room 2, It faces a small open area where there is a cuban restaurant in the inside patio which is open from 9am to 9 pm. No big deal, some noise but we were prepared as I had read some previous tripadvisor reviews and we brought earplugs with us. My only recommendation to management is that they get some darker shades for the front glass room entrance door. It has beautiful sheer white window dressings. Unfortunately the german tourists sitting in front of my room informed me that they could see me getting dressed through the glass front doors during their breakfast, my husband confirmed this. Aside from this it was a great place and location for the price and we will be back again!

Room Tip: room 1 and 2 face the patio restaurant
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosanna R

thanks for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us