“Not a bad place, but missing the KW warmth”
Review of Papa's Hideaway

Papa's Hideaway
Ranked #43 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Not a bad place, but missing the KW warmth”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My wife and I just stayed at Papa's Hideaway last weekend for Lobsterfest. We had never stayed prior to the property being sold to the property management company, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but I can only assume that having the actual owners there would have provided the ability to talk and interact with locals and to build those relationships that is part of the charm of being in Key West. I guess it felt a little corporate.

After we picked up our keys from the office off of Duval, we headed over to put our stuff away and rent our scooter. The place is nicely situated off of Duval on the quiet southern end. You can actually see the Southernmost Buoy when you walk to the end of Luisa St to Whitehead. We stayed in studio 4 on the 1st floor. We really liked the size of the place, with a full sized refrigerator, sink, glasses, cups, plates, silverware, etc. We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable and the grounds surrounding the place were very nice, almost like being in the middle of a little tropical garden. We even had our own little patio area which was a nice place to relax in the morning with a mimosa or a beer before bed. There was also an ample sized bathroom for the two of us.

There was definitely more to Papa's Hideaway that I liked, but a few of the negatives is that there was absolutely no hot water in the shower. We had to take a freezing cold shower every morning. I made a joke about us being lucky we were in Key West in August, but it definitely did wake us up each morning. I was very under impressed with the breakfast there. Now, I only stay at B&B's when I go to KW, but this was even less than the usual bagels, fruit, yogurt and coffee. There was just really nothing edible. When we decided to take a night dip in the pool, the pool is so over-chlorinated that my eyes felt like they were going to drip out of my skull.

However, even with those few negatives, I would probably stay here again and recommend it especially if the hot water issue can be corrected. The grounds, the location and the quaintness of the place make it a great place to stay if they can correct the little issues.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FLboy22
Anthony R, Manager at Papa's Hideaway, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Many thanks for your review. One of the things that we are trying to ensure that we do not lose is our interaction with our guests and to ensure that they are aware of the expanded service offerings that the property can now provide to guests. Out of our Duval Street offices, we offer a full concierge service, complementary shuttle, full business center and other services to ensure that our guests receive everything that they need during their time in Key West.

Papa's is doing more than ever to ensure that our guests have everything needed to have a wonderful stay in paradise and the improvements are continuing thanks to guest feedback like yours.

We have installed a salt water chlorination system in our heated pool and have heard nothing but rave reviews regarding it. With the historic nature of the building, water temperature is something that we have heard loud and clear and we have undergone improvements to continue evolving Papa's in to the best guesthouse on the island.

Overall guest experience is extremely important to us and we continue to listen to our valued guests feedback and have the property in a state where it has never been better!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great location nice rooms.No hot water in the shower it was Luke warm at best.
The pools edge was covered with Cat droppings.I saw the girl cleaner just hose around it. pretty disgusting..I cleaned out the breakfast fridge.It had moldy food and was out of the cream cheese and jams
I complained on my way out. to deaf ears.
You have to pick up and drop off the keys at an office about half a mile away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank leec92013
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I did so much research booking a trip to Key West and I'm so happy I finally decided on Papa's Hideaway! We stayed in room 3 downstairs. It was clean, had a comfortable amenities, great bed and a lot of room. We felt like it was a small apartment! We stayed 3 nights. We parked the car and never moved it. We were able to walk or use a moped to get to everything we wanted to do. There may have been other guests staying here but we never saw them. Papa's was so private and quiet. A few people wandered by and inquired about the place because it was so charming. The garden patio is wonderful. We used the pool but it was over chlorinated (only negative). We felt safe, slept great and had a great experience with Key West Vacation Rentals. Truly I can't imagine staying elsewhere. We will return.

Room Tip: All rooms are probably great!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimxray
Many thanks for stopping by and letting us know. We can't wait to have the opportunity to serve you again here in paradise! Take good care.
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed in suite 1, which is upstairs. It had plenty of room for 4 of us for a girls' weekend. The sofa sleeper was newer than what is shown in the pictures online right now, and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable. Papa' s is in a nice quiet location while still being close enough to walk to all the action. We took advantage of the free breakfast by the pool each morning, which was nicely done with coffee, juice, milk, cereals, bagels, toast, etc. Our room was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Not fancy by any means, so if you expect that then look elsewhere. We loved it!

I can't stress enough how happy we were with Key West Vacation Rentals, the management company. They provided us with quick transportation to and from the ferry dock when we arrived and on our last day when we departed. If we needed anything while we were there they were a quick phone call away & the couple of minor issues we had were addressed immediately. They were fabulous people! We will definitely return here if we travel to Key West in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amy R
Thank you for stopping by and sharing your experience with us. We are working hard to progressively offer additional services to our guests to make their stay with us as convenient and memorable as possible. We hope to see you again in the very near future!
Sydney
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 before the change of ownership. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, where we found an envelope pinned to the back gate which contained instructions on entry and directions to our room. The next day we went down to the pool area for breakfast, which was cereal and toast etc. By this point we still had not met the hosts. Whilst eating breakfast there was a lady cleaning the pool. We found out much later that the lady cleaning the pool was Andrea, the owner. Hmmm, maybe she was shy that day and decided not to introduce herself.
We stayed in Studio 2, up one flight of stairs. The room was spacious but basic, nothing flash. The water pressure for the shower was virtually non-existent and hot water took ages to come on. The location is good, at the quiet end of town, right near the most southern point. We had no trouble parking our vehicle. On our last stay we were given a Papa’s Hideaway coffee mug each, which was a nice touch. The rooms do need a bit of a renovation as they were a bit tired, but overall it was a relaxing experience

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melby
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This was my second visit and my friend and I had the cottage for 4 nights. We were present for the ownership change over and I'm pleased to report that the new manager did continue to provide breakfast and even generously offered to drive us to the airport. I will miss the prior owners, Fred and Andrea who were wonderful and I hope this is a great change for them and their family.

As always the garden and pool were tranquil and lovely. More than that, the intimate setting allows you to connect with the other (usually, low key and wonderful) guests if you want to or just keep to yourself if not. I have met terrific people at Papa's that I will enjoy for life.

For the rooms, I only regretted we did not have more friends with us to enjoy the cabin. Two beds, two baths, private patio with a bar, kitchen and dining room with the best porch. Ceiling fans, swing, and rocking chairs (rumored to once have been frequented by Papa himself back when the cabin was the home of a Key West Judge). Beach towels and kitchen items aplenty, even a poker set and checkerboard for rainy days, not to mention an extensive collection of paperbacks and other poolside reading.

I hope to return with a bigger crew next year (or sooner) and hope the garden remains as lush and private of an oasis as it has always been.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nikklou
Windsor
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This review is for everyone who has stayed at Papa's in the past and loved it so much to return. It has been recently sold to a vacation rental company and our 5 visit to this location we have noticed a few changes. The wonderful foiliage that helped make the property so private has been hacked to the point that you can see the house directly behind the property and see the cars that drive down Whitehead. The Christmas lights that some may have considered cheesy, but provided alot of light and atmosphere to the location at night have been turned off. The rooms are still the same but with new flat screen TVs and a bit of light decorating. We were told that 'alot of changes' were coming, and many times were told that they needed to get the property up to their standards. We visit Key West every year at the same time and prefer to stay here, I have already researched the cost for next year and it appears that the room rate has gone up $10 a night and a new insurance and admin fee has been added. Due to this and the changes and I am aure the more changes coming I am not sure if we will be staying here again, I fear it will become a bit more commercial then we like. But we had a good 5 years. For new visitors, you will not notice these changes since you are new to this B&B....I hope that you love the property. I just don't think it is for us anymore.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple