My wife and I just stayed at Papa's Hideaway last weekend for Lobsterfest. We had never stayed prior to the property being sold to the property management company, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but I can only assume that having the actual owners there would have provided the ability to talk and interact with locals and to build those relationships that is part of the charm of being in Key West. I guess it felt a little corporate.
After we picked up our keys from the office off of Duval, we headed over to put our stuff away and rent our scooter. The place is nicely situated off of Duval on the quiet southern end. You can actually see the Southernmost Buoy when you walk to the end of Luisa St to Whitehead. We stayed in studio 4 on the 1st floor. We really liked the size of the place, with a full sized refrigerator, sink, glasses, cups, plates, silverware, etc. We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable and the grounds surrounding the place were very nice, almost like being in the middle of a little tropical garden. We even had our own little patio area which was a nice place to relax in the morning with a mimosa or a beer before bed. There was also an ample sized bathroom for the two of us.
There was definitely more to Papa's Hideaway that I liked, but a few of the negatives is that there was absolutely no hot water in the shower. We had to take a freezing cold shower every morning. I made a joke about us being lucky we were in Key West in August, but it definitely did wake us up each morning. I was very under impressed with the breakfast there. Now, I only stay at B&B's when I go to KW, but this was even less than the usual bagels, fruit, yogurt and coffee. There was just really nothing edible. When we decided to take a night dip in the pool, the pool is so over-chlorinated that my eyes felt like they were going to drip out of my skull.
However, even with those few negatives, I would probably stay here again and recommend it especially if the hot water issue can be corrected. The grounds, the location and the quaintness of the place make it a great place to stay if they can correct the little issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Papa's Hideaway is a historic Key West Inn with all the charm of Hemingway's day and the convenience of being just a block or so off Duval Street and a few blocks from the Southernmost Point and South Beach. Yet, Papa’s is an oasis of tranquility, a lush compound on a quiet lane. Feel your tensions release as you bask in the warm tropical sun at poolside. Listen to the trade winds rustling through the palms, blowing all of your cares away.Papa’s Hideaway is the perfect mix of location, atmosphere and value.Come join us and make Papa’s your personal hideaway.All of our rooms are set up for your comfort and convenience:• King-size bed plus a queen sleeper/sofa *all purchased brand new in 2013!• Private bath stocked with towels, shampoo and hairdryer• kitchenette with coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, dishes and cutlery• Cable TV • Air conditioning • Free WiFi• Each room opens directly to a deck• An iron and ironing board, extra blankets and pillows in each roomYour room is set in a wonderfully lush property with a heated pool. A gas grill is available to all of our guests and plenty of tables and chairs in the gardens for dining outdoors.In our guest services office at Key West Vacation Rentals, 1075 Duval Street, C19, you will find a wealth of information about local restaurants and attractions, as well as maps and brochures. Ask us about anything you are interested in doing. We can arrange for snorkeling, diving, fishing, ghost tours, kayaking, sunset sails, jet skiing, parasailing, Dry Tortugas trip and more!For your convenience, bicycle rentals are available through our office. Let us know when you book your stay and we will arrange to have bicycles delivered to you.We are happy to do whatever we can to make your stay more enjoyable.We hope you have a great stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Papa's Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Papa`s Hideaway Hotel Key West
- Papa's Hideaway Key West, Florida