“Very Nice Getaway”

Ranked #31 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Pompano Beach, Fl.
“Very Nice Getaway”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

A very nice Bed and Breakfast for the price in Key West. We stayed in the sugar palm suite and we found it to be spacious, comfortable and quiet. The limited interaction I had with the staff found them to be very pleasent and accommodating. For instance our check out was on Friday at 11 am and I asked if it would be possible to leave my car in their lot until we wanted to leave the island later that afternoon. I was told by both the check-in and check-out person that this would not be a problem and this allowed for us to have one more fantastic lunch without the problem of finding and paying for parking.

The biggest drawback is that they do not offer complementary breakfast unlike most other B&B's we've stayed at. It would have been nice to have had the option especially after a late night on the town.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brent1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Shop around, even in prime season (mid-March) we saw LOTS of vacancies. We could have showed up at sundown on any night and done at least as well for the same $$ or less.The location is nice and quiet, steps from the southern quarter of duval street. That said, the best thing I about the room was that it was spacious. The clock radio sounded miserable (a $10 Radio Shack job), the towels were frayed, the bathroom cramped (a glassed-in shower with a camp nozzle that gave off an uneven misty spray), the AC in the dining area was as loud as a jet plane, the "pool" was about 10' by 10', the free "coffee" by the pool was horrible. Other places included a continental or even full breakfast for less money. Not that saving $25 is a big deal for me, but come on. For more than $285 a night, it lacked style and elegance. Not bad, but not good either.

Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We made a last minute reservation and stayed int he Sugar Plum Suite. It was the nest B&B we have ever stayed in! We travel to Key West often and have stayed in many different inns. The staff was friendly, room was very clean and nice and the grounds are beautiful and they have parking to boot. We will return again.

Tim and Kim

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Recently we stayed here and had a great time. It is loud at night among younger guests but the air conditioner drowns out much of the noise. The garden is lovely and the rooms we stayed in were clean. The staff was particularly attentive to our needs. If we go back to Key West, we'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay near the garden area.
1 Thank Floridatravelmo... t
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I recently stayed here in the Sugar Palm and it was a great value. This was a planned trip so I shopped extensively and I found Douglas House in the low-mid to low range. Some have complained about the price but your on a small island that's a world wide travel destination. I would suggest an off season visit if it doesn't fit your budget because outside of the 5 dollar t-shirts on Duval there's not a lot of cheap on Key West when it's in season. Plus I was told the cost before I checked in and was given a tour of the property and room. It's not like I didn't know until I checked out..I was on a tight budget, I wanted a suite and to be on the quiet end of Old Town. I was very pleased with my whole experience
My suite was clean, had big a bathroom and comfortable beds. The room wasn't spartan but not over the top. It was pretty much what I expected at this price point. Everything worked and house keeping did it's thing daily. The grounds were gorgeous and the staff polite and helpful.
I was also informed when I booked the room that there was no breakfast. It's a guest house not a B&B, While enjoying a meal while relaxing on my deck would have been nice, I found going the Southernmost Cafe, just short stroll, for breakfast was great. It's waterfront and was reasonable in cost. Looking out on the water while having breakfast was a terrific way to start the day. We tried Denny's one morning and found it to be more expensive.
We rented bikes and they were so much fun. We took Whitehead( less traffic and stoplights than Duval) down to the action each day. It had been at least 35 years since I had ridden but I got back in the swing of it quickly.
Though I often use tripadvisor when planning a trip but this is my first review. I felt this property was getting unfair reviews. Hope you enjoy Key West...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gcox725
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We just checked out of 1102D and I must say we were very disappointed in the condition of the room and the service from the hotel. This is the second time my family has stayed at the Douglas House and we won't go back. We like the location of the room as it has a balcony overlooking Duval Street. But that is where the charm stops. The unit is a two bedroom and two bath suite which is great for two couples. But, the furnishings are very old, worn, and dirty. The bedding was disgusting. There were dark dirty spots all over the blankets. The walls had holes all through them. The floors were very dirty. Don't go barefoot unless you want dirty feet! The tv in the sitting area did not work, the ironing board was broken, as was the safe. The hotel did not service our rooms so no fresh towels, no beds made, no towels replaced, no bathrooms cleaned, and no soap replaced! This was not a cheap stay. We paid over $500 a night. I was not expecting The Ritz, but I sure wanted a bit more than what we got.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jill M
Wausau
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Douglas House Room 6 1drm Queen with Queen sofa sleeper. Informed the front desk the Queen sofa sleeper was not only LuMpY it was so thin the sofa bars were felt when laying down. I also complained about all the sand in the bed. The desk person stated "We've never had a complaint before." It was plain they didn't care because our stay was paid in advance. $288.00 per night! He said he would have house keeping see if there was anything they could do. When I returned to the room, house keeping had folded the bed up! Nothing else. The next morning I asked the house keeping girl if anyone had asked her to fix anything. NO was the answer. Very dissatisfied suggest anyone staying there be very cautious.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple