“Enjoyed our stay!”

and 1 more site!
Douglas House
Ranked #30 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed recently at Douglas House - we were in #13, the Bottle Palm. We really enjoyed staying here - the property is beautiful with all the trees, plants, and flowers, which were all well maintained. The room was also nice - this particular room is upstairs - it doesn't have a balcony, but does have a lot of windows for great sunshine (and if the weather isn't hot, some nice fresh air). The room was spotless. The bathroom is a little small, but has a great (huge) walk-in shower. There is a small "kitchen" area that has a sink, coffee maker (bring your own coffee/filter as none is provided - I brought Starbucks Via), mini fridge, and microwave - along with miscellaneous mugs, glasses, plates, and silverware.

The king size bed was pretty comfortable - although the pillows were terrible - very flat and kind of hard. Would have preferred some feather pillows (or at least a better quality pillow).

Air conditioning worked well and was aided by the ceiling fans in the bedroom and living area.

Generally quiet - could hear our downstairs neighbors at times, but wasn't too bad.

Parking spot (about a block away in a private lot) was great to have.

The location of Douglas House is great - really just a few steps from Duvall. It is quite a walk all the way down Duvall but we didn't mind it - there are lots of stores and restaurants all within close distance.

Finally, the service at Douglas House was very friendly - especially Chris - who was very helpful in making recommendations for us - along with making reservations and arranging a quick cab ride. He was so helpful and all of his recommendations were honest and spot-on. Everything Chris did for us made our trip to Key West even better!

When we come back to Key West, we will stay at Douglas House again - no question about that!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnjovi
There are newer reviews for Douglas House

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Furnishings were old. Bedspread was worn, old and disgusting. Curtains were torn, thin and did not cover windows that led directly out to the street. Veranda area was dirty with trash and cigarette butts.Towels were ragged and thin. Smell of mold in the room. Smoke detector did not work. We were not asked once during our stay about our room, I think they knew what the answers would be. This room needs a LOT of Updating

Room Tip: Do NOT choose Peach Palm
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christine P

8 of us stayed at Douglas House, Key West
our newly renovated rooms were just great. Reservations with Chris were so easy.
When you can please 8 ladies, you know you are doing something right.

Would I stay there again, absolutely.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan432013
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had planned a surprise getaway trip for my boyfriend's birthday. Key West is our favorite place to go and I wanted to try a new place to stay. My biggest factors were size of the room/bathroom and close to Duval. Originally I wanted to book The Christmas Palm room #3 since I thought the loft bed was unique and the private balcony was exactly what I wanted to add to our romantic getaway. Unfortunately, by the time my vacation days were approved the room was already booked. However, The Bamboo Palm Room #15 was available and I went with it. It was newly renovated and the bathroom was phenomenal!! Anyone who goes to Key West regularly knows that bathroom sizes are super small. This bathroom had a gorgeous, huge stand up shower and lots of space in the general bathroom. The room itself was also a nice size. Queen size bed, flat screen TV, very nice ceiling fan, lots of lighting, chairs to sit in, a wet bar, small fridge, microwave, sink and coffee pot. We also had a mini porch outside our room with two chairs to sit in. The room is located towards the back of the house complex, so it was very quiet and private. Yes, the comforter was old, but it wasn't gross. It was rustic. The bedding was very clean, we received new towels each day and the room was very clean overall. The pool was great and I liked how the houses surrounded the inner area where the pool, coffee, tea was. When I booked the room the guy who took the call booked my Seabago activities for me ahead of time and was able to get me a free Sunset Sail as well. He was even kind enough to ask if we needed cab rides, recommendations for a place to eat and checked on us as we passed through to our room each day. He had a smile on his face and genuinely seemed happy to accommodate us. Although the other guy seemed to be having a bad day and wasn't quite as friendly. He definitely wasn't rude and I'm sure that it wasn't the usual mood for him as all the other reviews I've read raved about both of them typically.
I enjoyed being closer to The Southernmost Point as opposed to the bar scene. I love to walk and window shop and it was nice to be on the quieter side of Duval. We even woke up the last morning and sat on the dock on South Beach to watch the sunrise.
If you are looking for a calm side of Key West with a homey feel and great rooms check out Douglas House! And trust me, the walk down to Mallory Square is not bad at all. We did it twice a day and enjoyed seeing every section of Duval along the way.

Room Tip: Room #15, Bamboo Palm was great value for the price. Lots of space and great bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was the best hotel I've ever stayed in while on vacation. The staff was very nice offered great recommendation and made the stay extremely enjoyable. The room was very clean, spacious, and offered a nice view of the pool. The pool was clean and the water was nice. This hotel is a little further down from the action end of duval but that was great for us because after a long night it was great to get away from the busy end. The rum bar across the street is a must start to every night. Will stay here every time I go to Key West.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

So there are some good and bad things about this hotel. The location is fine, a little far from the bar action on east south duval but walkable. Free parking. Four of us stayed in the Coconut Palm because we wanted a kitchen. Kitchen was fine - small fridge, but microwave, toaster, coffee maker, 4 burner stove and over. Large sink. Tons of storage and counterspace, and there were some supplies in kitchen, like pans, silverware - enough for four people. The porch is huge and awesome, we loved sitting out there. The room is cooled by a window unit that we had cranked the entire time and it did a good job. The second bed is in a loft up a pretty steep flight of stairs, but we knew that. It was noticable warmer up there and no air circulation. We asked for a received a fan for up there, and with that and the a/c on 63 the whole time it was fine, plus we only used the thin flat sheet because the comforter was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in a hotel. Without that fan, it would have been probably pretty hot and stuffy. The pool area is great! We used it all day and really liked the shade provided by the awesome canopy of trees. The desk is plastic and looks great but burns your feet, just wear shoes. The main issues are with the cleaniness of the rooms and the attitude of the staff. First, the bedding in the room has clearly not been washed since 1990. It was the most disgusting I have ever seen in a hotel, it was even hard to touch. Yuck!!! The sheets were never changed, even though we requested it. The room was somewhat clean...not great but there was some effort. The housekeeping staff did not clean our room the first day or offer clean towels and left by 3pm. The next day they did come by after I asked, but still did not change the sheets, which got dirty because we pulled the dirty comforter off and sat on it to eat since there is no table or other sitting area. The bathroom should have been cleaner, it was basic but if it was clean (no random hairs) would have been better. Not having a clean bed is a big deal. The housekeeping staff appears to do very minimal work and the front desk guys are as friendly as they have to be, but we saw one guy totally lose his cool one night and yelled at hotel guests who had accidentially locked themselves out of their room. He really had a meltdown over doing his job. Pretty sad. We paid $233 per night and really, for the money we could have stayed somewhere else, nicer and better kept. We go to the Keys all the time and tried this place. It didn't ruin our stay but we will NOT go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My daughter and I recently booked a room a week ahead, off season, at the Douglas house after reading rave reviews. What we got was a drab shoebox sized room, across the street ,up a steep flight of stairs ,in the back of a separate house not the picturesque ads we expected. I felt like we were at the wrong place as the room was extremely small, maybe 9' by 10 'at the most, with a microwave and small fridge with no where to sit it was like a jail cell, I guess they expect you to eat in the gross bed? The mattress was at least 25 years old, soft and very lumpy,and creaked when we turned over. Two flat old pillows and a gross bedspread that was shredding ,it was so old and sceevy we wouldn't touch it, the bathroom had a crappy shower curtain liner and no where to put make up or a hair dryer.Disappointed to say the least. We stayed out as long as we could to avoid going back to the room which also had a really loud a/c unit so we had to keep the very old tiny tv 15" screen on extra loud so we could hear it never mind squinting to see it. The available parking is not near your room either it's down the block so don't expect to see your car and lock it up its a creepy neighborhood. We awoke both mornings to banging from the roofers across the street, just to make things worse than they already were.
We asked for a room downstairs as I have heart problems but was given a quick, no! we don't have another room. The place was not full they just wouldn't accommodate us, and the pool area is dark and dingy with overgrown shrubbery and was way too small if there were more than 3 people in it. I'd love to know what rooms all these others stayed in . Either these reviews are all set up or we were given the crappiest room in the place. The biggest waste of $300.00 for 2 nights I ever spent. Never again will I stay here!!! Don't believe everything you read. It's not a B&B either ,no food or anywhere to eat . Free coffee and tea , big deal!!! I'd rather have a decent room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family