Douglas House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
La Te Da Hotel(Key West)
Orchid Key Inn(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
Almond Tree Inn(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspalm roomduval streetcuban clubpool areasmall poolsouthernmost pointfull kitchenliving roomquiet endrum baroff street parkingla te dafront porchhemingway houseceiling fanbed and breakfastthe room was nice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2008

My wife and I just took our Honeymoon here. We stayed in the Christmas Palm (room 3) for 6 nights. It was perfect. A little rustic feeling but a lovely space. the room had a full kitchen adequate enough to cook a meal in. The queen sized bed was above in a loft and we loved this feature. It left plenty of room for a sitting area downstairs. The BEST feature, however, was the enormous private deck that was quite secluded due to the location of the room. I fully recomend this room for a honeymoon.

The pool was great. It was small as many have said, but there was plenty of room to just hang out and even swim around a bit. Being able to move directly into the hot tub was a nice feature as well.

The staff was friendly and cleaned the rooms while you were out. They did not disturb us just to get thier work done. that was great.

We could not ask for a better location. Only a 20 yard walk to Duval St. and a couple of blocks from the Southern Most Point. The Douglas House was at the Southern end of Duval near the many galleries. This meant you did not hear the all night noise of the many bars at the north end of Duval. We walked to bars and Mallory Square in no time(About 15 min).

Overall I would highly recomend staying here. If we return to Key West we plan on staying in the same room.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank curlywilder
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We stayed 2 nights in the coconut palm room. I've read that two other reviewers stayed in this room and found it to be different than the pictures shown, but from the pic I saw it was exactly what was advertised. Could be that they updated the pic recently.
The only issues that were somewhat troublesome was having to park our car in a lot a block or so away, and the non fuctioning freezer in our room. Other than that, all was good. It was quiet at night and we were able to get the hot tub to ourselves because no one else was out there!
We especially loved the location and walked everywhere we wanted to go. Mallory square was a little bit of a longer walk so make sure you wear comfy shoes. Skip the free breakfast and walk to camille's for an awesome breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Evenwilderthings
Reviewed 5 July 2008

The online pictures are very deceiving for the Coconut Palm Suite. The bedroom would have been fine if they didn't try and squeeze a loft above the space. The stair to the loft was more like a ladder and not to mention a total code violation. The loft had no head room, so you had to duck in the space. If you are handicapped, forget about it. No handicapp accessibility ramps or rooms that accommodate.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank denise4747
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Douglas House was nice. We were shown the room to make sure we liked it before they checked us in. Big room with kitchen, sitting area, and bedroom. Nice high ceilings painted pink with ceiling fans. Old time charm. Pool was tiny and the continental breakfast wasn't anything special, but the location was just off Duval Street and about a mile from Mallory Square which made for a nice walk to see the sunset. Grounds were very well kept and the staff was friendly except for one bald guy. Still a nice place to stay. NOTE: The tourist informations center outside Key West was a business that gets fees from hotels for sending people there. There are more hotels than they have on their list.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank PelicanBay
Reviewed 23 May 2008

This was our 8th trip to Key West and I'm glad it wasn't our first. We have stayed at other inns before and also at a larger hotel on previous trips. Had this been our first trip to Key West I think we would have been a little turned off upon our first impression with our room at Douglas House.

Our stay at Douglas House was May 9-13. Had booked after finding their site and after carefully studying all of the pics we booked the Coconut Palm room. I knew it was second floor and the large balcony faced the street. I was certain to get a second floor room because I didn't want to take the chance of being able to hear people above us.

Check in was fast and efficient. We were given a short tour of the property while being taken to our room. I was surprised by the size of the pool. Even though I knew from previous reviews and from the website that it would be small, it was REALLY tiny. There are not a lot of lounge chairs and the sun doesn't hit all areas of the pool all day. The grounds however, are very clean and well maintained.

Our room had a loft with a queen bed and a queen bed on the main level. The ladder/stairs to the loft is very steep. The bed and bedding had definitely seen better days but to be honest, we didn't notice after our late nights. The room was very clean but could be spruced up a bit.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony relaxing enjoying the beautiful weather. I would say that made up for any initial disappointment with the room. I agree with the person who said that the website certainly makes Douglas House appear to be a little more "fancy" than it is in reality.

Location for us was perfect. We parked the car and walked the entire time we were in Key West. It was quiet at night. Didn't try the breakfast.

Bottom line: I would stay there again if I could get the same room but, I will probably look elsewhere next year.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple