“Relaxing”

and 1 more site!
Douglas House
Ranked #30 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Our service at Douglas House was great from the moment we got there till we checked out. Very friendly and inviting. We stayed in the Triangle Palm #12. Room was just the right size for my husband and I, and my daughter and her friend. Location of the Douglas House was perfect for us. It was right on Duval St. and close to nearby State Park. My favorite thing about our room was the bed. The best two nights sleep I have ever had!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We arrived one hour before check in and our room was ready for us. Lloyd checked us in and he was very nice and gave us a tour of the DH. We booked the Sago Palm room with two double beds. We had our own private porch facing the street (which concerned me at first because I was worried about the noise, but no problems). The room opens to a small foyer with a refrigerator and microwave to the right and the bathroom is in the back. The beds are set to the left of the room, large closet, TV, phone (a little something like out of the 80s), ceiling, and the AC is a wall unit. Our room did not have an iron or hairdryer, but I never checked with the front desk, so they might have one. We were supplied with Shampoo and soap. We filled our refrigerator with goodies from Publix (on Roosevelt Blvd, a couple miles away). I read in other reviews that the breakfast was really not much so we brought our own cereal and yogurts, but the continental breakfast was actually not too bad. They had muffins, breads (toaster too), bagels, cereals, fruit, coffee, tea, OJ and milk each morning.
We stayed during a busy weekend (Hemingway contest weekend) and we had no problem finding a parking spot in the DH lot (yes, they have parking). Free internet around the pool area (and I guess the rooms that surround the pool too). I spent a lot of time at the pool while my friend did all the tours in KW. Since this was my third time to KW, I decided to sit by the pool. I loved the pool, not too crazy about the hot tub (email me and ask me what I witnessed in the Hot Tub). The pool is salt water which I really enjoyed. I packed a picnic every day for my day at the pool. Since it was July the water was very warm, but it is summer in Florida, and the ocean was 86 degrees.
My friend rented a bike and DH gave us a card to get a discount with the bike shop on Truman. I highly recommend that you either bring your bike or rent a bike to get around KW.
Now here are some of my issues DH: The beds were a little old (soft and lumpy). Our room looked like they redid the floors in the bathroom, but stopped at the shower. We tried to plug our cords in the outlet and the outlets, but because they were so old, they would not hold the prongs of our plugs and would fall out. Our stuff would not charge. The walls are very thin. I woke up one night from hearing someone getting sick in another room. I also heard a girl crying as well. The pool area, as much as I loved the pool, has a very old deck and in need of MAJOR repairs. I had one of the chairs that were close to the entrance of the pool and I took my flip flops off to enter the pool and I got a splinter, OK not a splinter, a small piece of wood in my food that had to be taken out with large tweezers. My friend ran to the front desk and asked for a first aid kit and they handed her two alcohol pads along with scissors. So I sat there and picked the wood out of my foot for about one hour and not one hotel person came over to help me or ask what was wrong. I cleaned up my foot and road my bike to CVS to get some more supplies for my foot.
Would I come back to the DH? Yes, but only if they refinished the deck area and I would book a room with one of the full kitchens as well the DH is close to many sites in KW, very happy with the location and how quiet it was during our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank ScubaCF
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The pictures make this place look like a gem, I am a displaced Key West local and on the advise of friend stayed here, wont stay again. The bedding was from the 70's and had holes, the mattress was terribly uncomfortable and the pillows smelled like a locker room. The shower is extremely small, barely big enough for one person. The icing on the cake was when I woke on Saturday I had a few bites on me, thought nothing off it, until I woke up on Sunday eaten through the night by bed bugs. I could not check out fast enough so we could sanitize our laundry. The continental breakfast, give me a break, bite size muffins and an apple. Also there was not iron or hairdryers in the room, I expected more for $170 a night. Also the free parking is first come first served, their parking lot fills up fast and towing of non customers is not enforced. Do yourself a favor and dont stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank frogman68
Reviewed 21 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here back in 1992. We recommended the place to friends and met them at Douglas House in June. It keeps getting better and better. The service and friendliness is what makes you feel so comfortable. The place was relaxing, pool is great! Cant wait to come back and celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary next spring!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I returned to the Douglas House because of the great location, reasonable rates, and Key West charm. We stayed in the Sego Room which had it's own "front porch". The pool area where breakfast is served is a beautifully landscaped oasis. I will definitely recommend the Douglas House and stay there again for my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Douglas House provided the perfect honeymoon get away for us! I've always desired to stay at a B&B in Key West for a romantic holiday and finally got to live out that dream!
Everything about our stay at Douglas House was picture perfect! In fact we consider it "our place" now and we plan on returning year after year to celebrate our anniversary.
It's amazing that you're so close to Duval St. but once you are inside, it's like it all melts away to a secluded tropical garden. All too peaceful!
We loved the decor, the views, the seclusion... I felt very safe there!
The staff was great and made various recommendations and assisted when we rented bikes. It was great! I parked my car on Monday and I never drove it again until Friday. I felt the car was in a relatively safe area, as safe as anywhere else and I checked on the car daily. No problems at all to report.
Our thanks to all at Douglas House who made our visit perfect! We had the time of our lives!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The staff were great, breakfast a bit disappointing but okay. The rooms were beautiful and the whole ambience of the place will make me return - just make the breakfast a little bit more interesting please

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple